IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Progressive Snaphot- Requesting Ideas For Temporary Armrest Mod

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

BEJinFbk
Year and Model: '98 V70 R
United States of America
BEJinFbk

Re: Progressive Snaphot- Requesting Ideas For Temporary Armrest Mod

Post by BEJinFbk » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:41 pm

98v70dad wrote:Two opinions. I don't disagree with you, but I thought my modification through before I did it. I spliced into a 18 inch piece (18 inches between the two end connectors) of the harness that could easily be replaced if ever necessary. My ultragauge is installed the car on the dash and there are no cords to get tangled up in or trip over, a nice clean installation.

What you suggested is a fine idea. It will work and is easy to accomplish for a low price. I considered your idea and it wasn't acceptable to me because it left about 4 feet of ultragauge cord exposed. I suggested an alternative because the OP might prefer it AND he asked for suggestions. My solution is more trouble and probably costs a bit more but its a good modification. Anyhow, I found your comments unnecessarily critical of a creative idea. When I don't need the ultragauge anymore I'll unplug it and the tee'd off portion will be just like an unused appendix. Alternately I could take the extra 18 inch piece of the harness I bought and just unplug the modified 18 inch portion on both ends, replace it with the original part and the harness would be back to the stock installation.

All ideas have value and its the end user who needs to choose which one suits his needs.
I'm sorry if you found my input unnecessary - I'm not trying to criticize anybody.
I've just spent a lot of time in my life working on automotive electrical systems
and in my experience, sticking to stock is generally a good thing for everyone.

Electrical repair work is billed by the hour and nobody wants a bill for
multiple hours of "Repairing Aftermarket Wiring". Ask me how I know...

Like I said, it sounds like you came up with a good way to execute your
solution and I suspect that you're conscientious enough to either let the
next owner know about the mod or run it back to stock. That's Awesome!

But let's keep in mind that the OP is asking about a lot less than setting up
an UltraScan. All we're talking about here is being able to run an OBD2 dongle
and be able to close the console lid. KIS FTW. 1 footers are on eBay for cheap! :)

Party On, Dad! 8)
'98 V70 R - Well Equipped for Life Up North... ;)

98v70dad
Year and Model: 98 V70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
98v70dad

Re: Progressive Snaphot- Requesting Ideas For Temporary Armrest Mod

Post by 98v70dad » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Party on BEJinFbk! Last time I was in AK I thoroughly enjoyed myself backpacking and whatnot.