IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

How I replaced the upper torque mount bushing

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

lext
Year and Model: 1994 854
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
lext

How I replaced the upper torque mount bushing

Post by lext » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:33 pm

I did this recently, replacing with an OEM bushing. I know this has been covered before and there's a post in the repair database. But there's something I found out that I have not seen before so I hope this will be useful for someone who is thinking of or is going to do this soon.

So, having read the topic a bit, I anticipated the difficulty, and made a press beforehand (pix below). But still, once I got the old thing out, it was simply impossible to push in. For the amount of pressure I was creating I was afraid I will be breaking something somewhere. Then I thought, putting a piece of rubber through a hole shouldn't require that much pressure, right? That's when I decided to play it safe and bring it to a Volvo-only shop, thinking that perhaps they have some magical way to get it done. This was supposed to be the best Volvo shop around here in the East Bay. The mechanic took the car and my bushing, told me about the need to use the press and said it will cost $100. I said OK. Half an hour later he called me and said: "no, this is not good, you've got the wrong bushing for your car. You have to either buy the smaller one or buy a brand new bracket." What, you're kidding me, right? I bought it from FCP specifically for my year, and I never heard of 2 bushing sizes before. I came by, and he said something about how some 850 got the bracket with a smaller hole for the bushing. He mentioned something non-Turbo, and also something about the year 93 and 94 (mine was 94). Or perhaps a combination of both. The bottom line was some cars got a smaller hole that needs a smaller bushing, and I got the wrong one that is too big.

I didn't quite believe him at first. So I brought the car home and did my research. I went back to read all the reviews people talked about their experience. I rewatched the youtube video by Robert the DIY demonstrated his home-made press. I started to feel convinced, and finally I saw the pictures in this post: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... =1&t=16742. That's it, he's right! There are indeed two bushing sizes, and if you got the wrong size for your car, you'll either get: 1/ a really loose, too-easy-to-be-true fitting, or 2/ an impossible POS to put in. That explains the note in Robert's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpooOrdPY-o) when he said the Mayle bushing is too small. If you look closely in that video, you can see the bushing went in half way even without using any tool. You don't really need a press for that, right? That also explains why some people can press it in with just the hammer, while others can't even with press tool. I believe that if you get the right bushing size, it will still be hard, but should be doable with a home-made press tool. (But not with the hammer. If you can tap it in with a hammer or no tool at all, you probably got the wrong one).

Anyway, once I could confirm that fact, then it became easier for me. I just sanded it down to reduce OD about 1.5-2mm, and afterwards the thing did go in, although still not without considerable effort. I know that effort is the price to pay for a snugly fit mount, so no complaint there. This is my setup in case anyone is curious:

My press tool include 2 1/4-inch thick steel plates with 1/2-inch hole I got from a big box hardware store (I think its purpose is to be embedded in concrete with a rod with thread going through it), a 3/8 hex-headed bolt (about 6 inches long), 3/8 nut, a piece of plywood with a 3/8 hole and countersunk to fit one end of the bushing, a wooden apparatus to use when the bushing is protruding to the other end, two C-clamps (one 6 inches long, one 4 inches long). The two legs of the wooden thingy have different length depending on which part of the bracket they press against, and I also used hardwood (oak) for the wood to ensure they don't easily dent, break or split. I find the C-clamps useful to hold the plane of the plates in place when you're pressing, because otherwise the rubber tend to "slip" and become crooked in the beginning and not sit straight through the hole. Sometimes it may also be easier to press with the C-clamp (press the top, then bottom, then top, then bottom) as oppose to turning the nut to press from the center.
DSCF2364.JPG
Making some progress:
DSCF2356.JPG
From another angle:
DSCF2355.JPG
With the clamps:
DSCF2358.JPG
Replaced the metal backing plate with the wooden piece so the bushing can come out on the other side:
DSCF2360.JPG
Just before being done and dismantling the apparatus:
DSCF2362.JPG
94 850 non-turbo

lext
Year and Model: 1994 854
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
lext

Re: How I replaced the upper torque mount bushing

Post by lext » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:22 am

This is a post I just saw where "Meyle bushing is too small" is discussed. If the bushing clank inside the metal housing, something is definitely off:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... =1&t=76217

The one I bought is Lemforder, by the way.
94 850 non-turbo