Amazon Cyber Monday 2020
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

98 V70:Cabin Blower Speed Vehicle Speed Sensitive? Topic is solved

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

misha
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v

Volvo Repair Database Re: 98 V70:Cabin Blower Speed Vehicle Speed Sensitive? [NEW ECC CM requires 12 pulse setting, Old one 48 pulse setting]

Post by misha »

Yes they do BUT on a CAN vehicle.
It shouldn't apply to obd vehicle since it doesn't require intitializing....and your '98 is not a CAN vehicle.

Maybe i'm wrong.
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS
sleddriver
Year and Model: 1998 V70 T5

Re: 98 V70:Cabin Blower Speed Vehicle Speed Sensitive?

Post by sleddriver »

I've spent the past few hours getting aquainted with VADIS! For some reason, I still have to use the disk. Not sure why it didn't fully install on the HD. I should install it on a RAM stick to speed it up.

Very interesting all the information VADIS provides. Navigating it is rather cumbersome compared to today's standards. This version has no wiring schematics however I have those on another disk. Not sure if VIDA has more/better/easier to use info than VADIS?
The following data can be programmed in the CM or read from it:
1. Driver position: LHD or RHD
2. Engine type: Gas or Diesel
3. Pass Comp. Vent Filter: No or Yes
4. Pass Comp. Temp: Adapts temp in relation to the selected temp on knob
5. Blower Fan Speed: Adapts blwr fan spd when fan SW is in the AUT pos.

A new CM must be programmed with the driver's pos. If it isn't the green LEDs in REC & AC will flash and the ECC will not properly function. After programming driver pos., it is necessary to carry out self-adj of the damper motors
I didn't realize that an ECC could be "programmed" to suite user preferences. The fan speed can be adjusted to increase or decrease. I would enjoy the highest fan speed possible when set to 100%. I'd been thinking mine was a bit slow. Also the temp settings can be tweaked up/down as well as the solar sensor setting when used on AUT.

More here:
Driver Position
Engine Type
Cabin Filter
Cabin Temp: +- 2°C
Blower Fan Speed: +- 8 liters/sec from normal setting in 4L steps
Solar Compensation: 7 different stages from -4 to +2
Speed Signal

Note: In order for the new ECC CM to function correctly, the speed signal must be programmed. From and including production week 832, the ECC CM has been updated with a new function for the programming of the speed signal from COMBI. This is because the functionality of the COMBI has been changed. Previously COMBI had two output signals; a 12 pulsed and a 48 pulse signal. The new COMBI will only have a 12 pulsed speed signal. Therefore the ECC CM is connected to the 12 pulsed signal.

The new ECC CM replace the older versions and can be installed both new & older cars. To obtain the correct functionality, the new ECC CM must be programmed for the correct type of speed signal.

The new COMBI has the text "MAX" instead of a digit at the max. fuel level in the fuel gauge.

On older COMBI the ECC CM must be programmed for 48 pulses. On new, they must use 12 pulses.

Note: The function is not avail on all climate CMs. Depends on P/N.
This last part gives me a clue to the odd fan speed issue. It may need to be programmed first (depending on model number) to work properly! I didn't realize that.

VADIS also had some info on ABS-432:
ABS-432 is stored if the CM is subjected to interference affecting its calculations. This one is also flagged if 411-413, 421-423, 442, 444 or 445 are stored and the cause of these DTCs is permanent for more than two trips. Also check defective fuse 14, open ckt in power supply 30-feed to CM #9 and contact resistance in terminals.
I also found this:
Repair ABS striker plate connector. Use a nylon wire tie to secure it tightly shut as a loose cover might shake loose, which will stop the ABS system from working and store a DTC code.
I've seen the ABS light illuminate then go off from time to time. Could be a loose connection do to this cover being loose. They suggest a wire tie to clamp the "striker plate cover" securely closed. That may fix my intermittent ABS light problem.
1998 V70 T5 226,808 miles. Original Owner.
M1 10W-30 HM
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

I think Matty usually warns people the wiring clamp on the ABS is hard to put in, is this the same thing?

Great info on the ECC Control unit programming. You can really go to town on these cars
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
sleddriver

Post by sleddriver »

Yes. Striker plate cover = ABS wiring clamp
M1 10W-30 HM
sleddriver

Re: 98 V70:Cabin Blower Speed Vehicle Speed Sensitive?  Topic is solved

Post by sleddriver »

SUCCESS !!!.........I FINALLY figured this one out!!

The key was programming the ECC using my indy's Autodiagnos Volvo scanner. As previously stated, there are several features that can be adjusted. The one that solved this problem was found here:
Speed Signal

Note: In order for the new ECC CM to function correctly, the speed signal must be programmed. From and including production week 832, the ECC CM has been updated with a new function for the programming of the speed signal from COMBI. This is because the functionality of the COMBI has been changed. Previously COMBI had two output signals; a 12 pulsed and a 48 pulse signal. The new COMBI will only have a 12 pulsed speed signal. Therefore the ECC CM is connected to the 12 pulsed signal. The new ECC CM replace the older versions and can be installed both new & older cars. To obtain the correct functionality, the new ECC CM must be programmed for the correct type of speed signal.

The new COMBI has the text "MAX" instead of a digit at the max. fuel level in the fuel gauge.

On older COMBI the ECC CM must be programmed for 48 pulses. On new, they must use 12 pulses.
When I entered programming mode, the ECC reported it was set to a speed signal of 12 pulses. I changed it to 48 pulses. After driving off, I noticed that I could now manually set both the air temp and cabin blower speed and the later would remain CONSTANT regardless of vehicle speed.

This explains why my previous ECC didn't exhibit this odd behavior, while this junk yard unit did. Given the sled's Aug 1997 manufacture date, it was one of the earliest V70 T5s out of the barn. Some updates had been done, like moving the EVAP canister to the rear. However, it contained the older instrument cluster (COMBI) and ECC unit. When a newer ECC was pulled from the yard, it needed the speed signal set to 48 pulses to resolve the odd blower speed issue.
M1 10W-30 HM
jblackburn
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5

Post by jblackburn »

Interesting...

One of those undocumented little quirks you'd never know about!
'98 S70 T5
2016 Chevy Cruze Premier

A learning experience is one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

mercuic: Long live the tractor motor!
sleddriver

Post by sleddriver »

However it WAS documented! Buried deep within the confines of VADIS! Required both SCUBA and a DIVER DOWN flag to find it though. Neither indy's I talked with knew anything about this, nor that the scanners they owned could do this!

Hopefully this will find it's way into the repair database so it'll help some one else.
M1 10W-30 HM
ferocity02
Year and Model: 1998 S70 GLT

Post by ferocity02 »

I'm having the same issue! I replaced my ECC with a junkyard unit and that's when the issue started. Mine had a faulty temp control knob. I think the junkyard unit was from a 99 or 00 and my car is an 98 S70. I dont have the software mentioned above. Is my only solution to find a unit from a 98?
Burn-E
Year and Model: 1998 C70 HPT

Post by Burn-E »

You have no idea how long I searched for this solution - 6 years as a matter of fact. When I started reading your thread a few weeks ago it hit me like a ton of bricks because you were encountering exactly the same issues I saw on my early 1998 S70 T5A. And I just handed the write-up of your solution to my indy yesterday and he made the change from phase = 12 to phase = 48 and BAM! everything works like it should again.

For the longest time I thought there was some kind of programming that had to be done when you swapped out the ECC but every tech I talked to told me a firm, "NO." Well I was right, just didn't quite understand that it was dependent on whether the "new" ECC pulled from a yard came from a 98 (no) or from a 99+ (yes).

Thank you for digging so deep into the heart of the climate control system and instructions. I have been through 5 years of freezing to death in the Summer with the AC set to full cold until I couldn't stand it any longer and then shutting it off AND dealing with bone dry hot air in the car in the winter because I had to keep the defroster on in order to keep the blower going while driving.

I'm linking over to the thread I posted in Volvospeed which links to the original thread which explored this question back in 2013 but we failed to find the resolution at the time. http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/21 ... 998-scv70/
Burn-E
Year and Model: 1998 C70 HPT

Post by Burn-E »

ferocity02 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:59 pm I'm having the same issue! I replaced my ECC with a junkyard unit and that's when the issue started. Mine had a faulty temp control knob. I think the junkyard unit was from a 99 or 00 and my car is an 98 S70. I dont have the software mentioned above. Is my only solution to find a unit from a 98?
You can go to a local Volvo shop and they should be able to do it for you for less than an hour's work. I went to my indy to have it done. Otherwise, I do have a not so perfect (as in the rubber buttons have some gouges but everything works) 98 module that should work for you if you're interested.