IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Compare the wagons! P2 vs. P80

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

beigg
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:07 am
Year and Model: 850 97
Location: Est. Mi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Compare the wagons! P2 vs. P80

Post by beigg » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:08 pm

If you were comparing a 96 manual trans 850 wagon to the 05 manual V70 [fwd], where would you put them on a 1 to 10 scale? 10 being BEST to have.


I know the v70's had high auto failures and the dual mass is a complete massive waste of time. I'm concerned for those little parts that tend to take down the biggest wallet and time fight when it comes to repairs. As with everything I've had to do with the volvo's, the most shop time it ever sees is when it needs an alignment or if I need a collision shop estimate for unfortunate incidents...
Last edited by matthew1 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

User avatar
misha
Posts: 4287
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:09 pm
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v
Location: Serbia
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 130 times
Serbia
misha

Re: compare the wagons!

Post by misha » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:07 pm

Automatic transmission on p2 v70 had issues only in first years of production.That said 2000 & early 2001 models.Most of 2001 and later models didn't had problems.
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS

tryingbe
Posts: 1891
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 pm
Year and Model: None
Location: Mesa, AZ, USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 23 times
United States of America
tryingbe

Re: compare the wagons!

Post by tryingbe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:59 pm

10 for 850 turbo manual wagon and 1 for 05 v70.

I'm slightly bias.
85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg

beigg
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:07 am
Year and Model: 850 97
Location: Est. Mi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Re: compare the wagons!

Post by beigg » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:24 pm

tryingbe wrote:10 for 850 turbo manual wagon and 1 for 05 V70.

I'm slightly bias.
:P lol

turbo wagon for turbo wagon tho. still a 1?
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

tryingbe
Posts: 1891
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 pm
Year and Model: None
Location: Mesa, AZ, USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 23 times
United States of America
tryingbe

Re: compare the wagons!

Post by tryingbe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:36 pm

VVT is a 1
Stability Traction Control is a 1
OBDII is a 1
Occupant weight sensor is a 1
Dynamic Stability Traction Control is a 1
SERVICE REQUIRED light is a 1
Immobilizer is a 1
Internal salve cylinder is a 1
85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg

beigg
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:07 am
Year and Model: 850 97
Location: Est. Mi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Re: compare the wagons!

Post by beigg » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:59 am

tryingbe wrote:VVT is a 1
Stability Traction Control is a 1
OBDII is a 1
Occupant weight sensor is a 1
Dynamic Stability Traction Control is a 1
SERVICE REQUIRED light is a 1
Immobilizer is a 1
Internal salve cylinder is a 1
Can't most of those "1"s be addresed with a pcm flash in the event the need for scheduled I/M is not required?

I thought the 2002+ had the ability for real time tuning/mapping?
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

beigg
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:07 am
Year and Model: 850 97
Location: Est. Mi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Re: compare the wagons!

Post by beigg » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:04 am

My hugest issue with most of all late model vehicles is that they went to DBW and also leverage a lot off the BCM for system functionality and enabling user operability.
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

tryingbe
Posts: 1891
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 pm
Year and Model: None
Location: Mesa, AZ, USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 23 times
United States of America
tryingbe

Re: compare the wagons!

Post by tryingbe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:21 pm

beigg wrote:
tryingbe wrote:VVT is a 1
Stability Traction Control is a 1
OBDII is a 1
Occupant weight sensor is a 1
Dynamic Stability Traction Control is a 1
SERVICE REQUIRED light is a 1
Immobilizer is a 1
Internal salve cylinder is a 1
Can't most of those "1"s be addresed with a pcm flash in the event the need for scheduled I/M is not required?

I thought the 2002+ had the ability for real time tuning/mapping?
When this happens, what are you going to do?

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... 28#p423028
85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg

beigg
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:07 am
Year and Model: 850 97
Location: Est. Mi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Re: compare the wagons!

Post by beigg » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:24 pm

tryingbe wrote:
beigg wrote:
tryingbe wrote:VVT is a 1
Stability Traction Control is a 1
OBDII is a 1
Occupant weight sensor is a 1
Dynamic Stability Traction Control is a 1
SERVICE REQUIRED light is a 1
Immobilizer is a 1
Internal salve cylinder is a 1
Can't most of those "1"s be addresed with a pcm flash in the event the need for scheduled I/M is not required?

I thought the 2002+ had the ability for real time tuning/mapping?
When this happens, what are you going to do?

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... 28#p423028
If it's aftermarket supported with flash software for 100% changes, I'd first start with dtc scanning and proceed to check voltage and amperage areas within the vehicles system. Then if needed, run the built in module tests from the software accounting it would have such features as most I am familiar with contain it.

Chances are that posters issue is alternator or battery (soon to be both) if that is happening to them out of random.
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

beigg
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:07 am
Year and Model: 850 97
Location: Est. Mi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Re: compare the wagons!

Post by beigg » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:07 pm

Why are the 01+ body styles so attractive yet high maintenance? It's like a hot super model that has a white castle diet. Looks good..... the mess, horrible mess!
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post