IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Help Identifying Part Needed Topic is solved

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

98v70dad
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:02 pm
Year and Model: 98 V70
Location: Southeast US
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
98v70dad

Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by 98v70dad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Today I drug out the 98 S70 cv axle I got at a salvage place. This axle has absolutely no play in it.

It seems like a very good find but I'm trying to convince myself that it will fit my 98 V70. The guy who sold it to me insisted that it will work just fine in my car. I compared it to an old/shot drivers side axle that I have laying around and everything I can see that would matter is the same. There is no part number anywhere on anything that I can see.

My plan is to disassemble, wipe out the old grease, grease, reassemble, do something with the center bearing (what - I don't know), install new boots. TA DA!

I have three things I need to figure out and could use any help that can be offered: cn90 gave me a link to a drivers side rebuild that answered a lot of my questions but I still have these 3.

1) what boots to order or how do I figure it out if I don't have the P/N. If there is a difference between an NA and turbo boot kit I have no idea what I have.

2) will this part even work in my car?

3) When I take the axle apart does the bearing in the middle area come off easily. Can I do anything to it to ensure that its OK and then somehow get clean grease into it? The grease in it is old and stiff. I'm afraid that cleaning up the part will wash out the old grease.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cn90
Posts: 6672
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Omaha NE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 124 times
United States of America
cn90

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed  Topic is solved

Post by cn90 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:14 pm

1. Measure the CV Joint outer flange:
- NA = 82mm
- Turbo = 92mm

2. That axle should fit all years between 1993-1998 P80 cars (I may be wrong).

3. The center bearing is tricky.
- It requires special tool to dissemble simply b/c it is deep down the shaft.
- If you can magically pry the retaining ring out a bit toward the transmission side, you will expose the bearing sealing lip.
Some people put the axle in a vise, the use a pipe wrench to turn the retaining ring.
Lift the inner end of the seal lip (where it meets the shaft), inject some grease into the bearing, this will keep it running for another 100K easy.
I regrease my BMW pulley bearings all the time using needle/syringe.

- If you want to replace the bearing, then the easiest way is to dremel it out.
Then install new bearing.
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

98v70dad
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:02 pm
Year and Model: 98 V70
Location: Southeast US
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
98v70dad

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by 98v70dad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:34 pm

cn90 wrote:
1. Thanks for the diameter info. You had given that to me once before and I couldn't find it.

2. That axle should fit all years between 1993-1998 P80 cars (I may be wrong).

Is the part labeled wrong? It was labeled 98 S70 at the salvage yard. They guy told me it was the same as my V70 and it would fit my car. I trust the guy. He has made only one mistake (for me) in the 6 years I've been buying parts from him. I guess this could be mistake 2.

If its the wrong part I'll get over it but I spent over an hour going through a pile of these and this was the only OE part with no slop at all so I'll be bummed out in a big way because he didn't have anything else. As you know, options are nearly non-existent.

3. Thanks for the how to. What sort of grease do you use?

98v70dad
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:02 pm
Year and Model: 98 V70
Location: Southeast US
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
98v70dad

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by 98v70dad » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:22 pm

cn90 wrote:1. Measure the CV Joint outer flange:
- NA = 82mm
- Turbo = 92mm

2. That axle should fit all years between 1993-1998 P80 cars (I may be wrong).

3. The center bearing is tricky.
- It requires special tool to dissemble simply b/c it is deep down the shaft.
- If you can magically pry the retaining ring out a bit toward the transmission side, you will expose the bearing sealing lip.
Some people put the axle in a vise, the use a pipe wrench to turn the retaining ring.
Lift the inner end of the seal lip (where it meets the shaft), inject some grease into the bearing, this will keep it running for another 100K easy.
I regrease my BMW pulley bearings all the time using needle/syringe.

- If you want to replace the bearing, then the easiest way is to dremel it out.
Then install new bearing.
1. Thanks for the diameter info. You had given that to me once before and I couldn't find it.

2. That axle should fit all years between 1993-1998 P80 cars (I may be wrong).

Is the part in my picture labeled wrong? It was labeled 98 S70 at the salvage yard. They guy told me it was the same as my V70 and it would fit my car. I trust the guy. He has made only one mistake (for me) in the 6 years I've been buying parts from him. I guess this could be mistake 2.

If its the wrong part I'll get over it but I spent over an hour going through a pile of these and this was the only OE part with no slop at all so I'll be bummed out in a big way because he didn't have anything else. As you know, options are nearly non-existent.

3. Thanks for the how to. What sort of grease do you use?

User avatar
rspi
Posts: 7247
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:40 am
Year and Model: 850 T-5R Wagon
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 40 times
United States of America
rspi

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by rspi » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:08 pm

AS long as your car is not AWD or have the small 14mm nut behind the hub you should be good.

Bearing grease.
'95 855 T-5R M, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red 25/32 mpg
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, 960's, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R YellowVolvo Repair Videos

User avatar
erikv11
Posts: 9478
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
Location: Iowa
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 243 times
United States of America
erikv11

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by erikv11 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:45 am

98v70dad wrote:
cn90 wrote:... 2. That axle should fit all years between 1993-1998 P80 cars (I may be wrong). ...
...
Is the part in my picture labeled wrong? It was labeled 98 S70 at the salvage yard. They guy told me it was the same as my V70 and it would fit my car. I trust the guy. He has made only one mistake (for me) in the 6 years I've been buying parts from him. I guess this could be mistake 2.

If its the wrong part I'll get over it but I spent over an hour going through a pile of these and this was the only OE part with no slop at all so I'll be bummed out in a big way because he didn't have anything else. As you know, options are nearly non-existent.
...
It's the right part (almost certainly - read on).

Your 98 V70 is a P80 car between the years of 1993-1998. cn90 is explaining that it should fit your car. I agree with him. Based on your photos, the parts guy was almost certainly right. The only other thing to check, is make sure it is not a manual axle. Manual axles have a thicker diameter and will not work in an automatic transmission. I don't know the measurements on a manual axle but an automatic axle, at the end that sticks into the trans, is 28 mm on the actual shaft and 40 mm on the flange where the seal rides. These diameters are the same for turbo and non-turbo axles.

If it's an NA axle, then get GKN 300427 (outer) and GKN 300597 (inner) boots, from AutoHausAZ.

If it's a turbo axle, then you want 300439 (outer) and GKN 300597 (inner).

If you can't find these part numbers in their online catalog, call them up they do have them, or they will drop ship for you if they don't. You will be able to get them with the GKN number using the phone.

It looks like yours is from a non-turbo but the measurements will tell. Either axle (turbo or NA) will work fine in an NA car. Very likely the NA axle would hold up just fine in a stock turbo car, too; I wouldn't hesitate to do that swap if it was a way to get a Volvo axle in there.
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 285k
'06 S60 R, 165k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 125k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

98v70dad
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:02 pm
Year and Model: 98 V70
Location: Southeast US
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
98v70dad

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by 98v70dad » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:58 am

erikv11 wrote:
98v70dad wrote:
cn90 wrote:... 2. That axle should fit all years between 1993-1998 P80 cars (I may be wrong). ...
...
Is the part in my picture labeled wrong? It was labeled 98 S70 at the salvage yard. They guy told me it was the same as my V70 and it would fit my car. I trust the guy. He has made only one mistake (for me) in the 6 years I've been buying parts from him. I guess this could be mistake 2.

If its the wrong part I'll get over it but I spent over an hour going through a pile of these and this was the only OE part with no slop at all so I'll be bummed out in a big way because he didn't have anything else. As you know, options are nearly non-existent.
...
It's the right part (almost certainly - read on).

Your 98 V70 is a P80 car between the years of 1993-1998. cn90 is explaining that it should fit your car. I agree with him. Based on your photos, the parts guy was almost certainly right. The only other thing to check, is make sure it is not a manual axle. Manual axles have a thicker diameter and will not work in an automatic transmission. I don't know the measurements on a manual axle but an automatic axle, at the end that sticks into the trans, is 28 mm on the actual shaft and 40 mm on the flange where the seal rides. These diameters are the same for turbo and non-turbo axles.

If it's an NA axle, then get GKN 300427 (outer) and GKN 300597 (inner) boots, from AutoHausAZ.

If it's a turbo axle, then you want 300439 (outer) and GKN 300597 (inner).

If you can't find these part numbers in their online catalog, call them up they do have them, or they will drop ship for you if they don't. You will be able to get them with the GKN number using the phone.

It looks like yours is from a non-turbo but the measurements will tell. Either axle (turbo or NA) will work fine in an NA car. Very likely the NA axle would hold up just fine in a stock turbo car, too; I wouldn't hesitate to do that swap if it was a way to get a Volvo axle in there.
Thanks. I was slowly coming to the conclusion that CN90 had told me it would fit in a roundabout way. Never heard of a P80 but last night doing my research found out that its seemed closely related to the V70 or was another way of referring to a V70 from certain years.

Thanks for the AutoHausAZ info. I have bought parts from them for years. I didn't know that they have or can get parts not on their website - I had already checked and as a few days ago they didn't have both of the GKN boots I was looking for. Thank you also for the part numbers. I have collected a bunch of pdfs about CV axles and how to rebuild one and change the boots. That info is probably in on or several of them but its sometimes tough to locate. Also, sometimes it gets "superceded" with more accurate or better info a few years later.

User avatar
erikv11
Posts: 9478
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
Location: Iowa
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 243 times
United States of America
erikv11

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by erikv11 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:34 am

What I'm saying is that AutohausAZ actually does sell all of those boots on their website, but they don't use the GKN part numbers. I have bought them all from there.

E.g. this is the NA boot 300427: http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/GK-31256235

You can probably find the interchange with some searching but just calling them might be easier.
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 285k
'06 S60 R, 165k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 125k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

98v70dad
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:02 pm
Year and Model: 98 V70
Location: Southeast US
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
98v70dad

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by 98v70dad » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:08 am

rspi wrote:AS long as your car is not AWD or have the small 14mm nut behind the hub you should be good.

Bearing grease.
Thanks. This axle seems almost too good to be true, but I'll give it a go.

Your grease answer is funny. I once asked my daughter what she wanted on her hamburger (or hamburg as we say back home) and she said MEAT. She was about 6 at the time and she was serious. She told me that she couldn't believe I asked her that.

Anyhow, I knew that wheel type bearings take bearing grease. Different grease types aren't compatible, though. Some types don't mix. If you don't clean out the old grease in the carrier bearing (I'm not planning to clean out the carrier bearing as it looks to difficult to do) and you use a different type (formulation) of grease, its a mistake. The grease in the carrier bearing on this axle is pretty much dried out and I'd like to replenish it with the same type.

98v70dad
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:02 pm
Year and Model: 98 V70
Location: Southeast US
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
98v70dad

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by 98v70dad » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:51 pm

erikv11 wrote:What I'm saying is that AutohausAZ actually does sell all of those boots on their website, but they don't use the GKN part numbers. I have bought them all from there.

E.g. this is the NA boot 300427: http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/GK-31256235

You can probably find the interchange with some searching but just calling them might be easier.

Thanks. The sales person at AutohausAZ was no help. Zero. She completely relied on the computer. Anyhow, I was able to figure out the cross reference information by looking up various shafts on ebay. Eventually I found one with cross reference information. Then I went to AutohausAZ and was able to confirm I had the correct part.

I have the shafts I bought on my workbench today and the passenger side drive axle is a good part. The one I bought for the drivers side is for an 98 V70 AWD vehicle. After I cleaned it up a little bit I was able to see the markings on it. Whoever pulled it clearly marked it AWD but it was covered in grease.

I'm guessing that part won't work on my car (its clearly different than the old part), but I'm happy to have gotten one good part for the passenger side. I didnt really need the drivers side axle but got it because the price was right. I can still probably take it back and swap it for another one if he has another one. I'm just going to focus on the passenger side for the time being.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post