IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Help Identifying Part Needed Topic is solved

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

98v70dad
Year and Model: 98 V70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
98v70dad

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by 98v70dad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:01 am

cn90 wrote:1. Measure the CV Joint outer flange:
- NA = 82mm
- Turbo = 92mm

2. That axle should fit all years between 1993-1998 P80 cars (I may be wrong).

3. The center bearing is tricky.
- It requires special tool to dissemble simply b/c it is deep down the shaft.
- If you can magically pry the retaining ring out a bit toward the transmission side, you will expose the bearing sealing lip.
Some people put the axle in a vise, the use a pipe wrench to turn the retaining ring.
Lift the inner end of the seal lip (where it meets the shaft), inject some grease into the bearing, this will keep it running for another 100K easy.
I regrease my BMW pulley bearings all the time using needle/syringe.

- If you want to replace the bearing, then the easiest way is to dremel it out.
Then install new bearing.

The left side was a turbo axle. So thank you for your help with that. I've checked with autohausAZ and found the boots I need for that one.

The axle I have for the right is neither 82 or 92 mm. Its much bigger. I didn't write it down but the hub was 100 plus mm. The part number sticker says its a turbo and the p/n is T970505 but I cant find any info on that part when I search it. The sticker also says 5cyl T auto V/I. Anyhow, I'm guessing its for an AWD. Obviously it would need different boot(s) due to the diameter difference but would it work otherwise? Since the diameter is bigger the ABS notches are probably different or there more of them. I found a similar AWD axle on ebay an the effectivity check says it will work in a turbo or an NA car. However, I just don't trust the ebay cross reference info.

98v70dad
Year and Model: 98 V70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
98v70dad

Re: Help Identifying Part Needed

Post by 98v70dad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:42 am

I just took a minute to go and measure the hub on what I think is an AWD axle. The hub on the outer side is 98 mm and the boot sealing surface is probably about 100 mm. I also looked at the ABS ticks. The hub is the same diameter there and the spacing between them is the same as the the right side axle I removed. The parts may be dimensionally different in the length direction (haven't checked) but otherwise it looks like everything else is the same. Feeling more like it would work on an NA.

Is the retaining ring just interference fit onto the axel? It seems like moving that will be tough without a homemade long legged puller. I guess the pipe wrench idea could work if it comes to that.

The engineers could have easily designed one axle set for all the variants of the cars. This greatly reduces cost in the long run by requiring less inventory and much simplifies life down the road in maintaining the car. They could have done it but did not. Why? Probably because the marketing people couldn't tolerate the few dollar increase in cost for an NA car getting a slightly better axe than it needed..