IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

LED headlight bulbs for Volvo S70, V70, etc. - Video Topic is solved

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Blockpartie
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 10:12 am
Year and Model: ...
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Blockpartie

Post by Blockpartie » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:19 pm

If the headlights are in perfect condition a 'three times as bright as OEM bulb' will blind oncoming traffic. Doesn't matter if the headlights are aimed correctly and the cutoff(s) are right, the light is just much to bright.

If the headlights are in bad condition it will be worse. A pitted lens will spread light all over the place. Again blinding oncoming traffic, with the added bonus of increased blinding range.

This is, sorry for the swearing, an absolute asshole thing to do. HID or LED lights should not be installed in housing never designed for them.

User avatar
erikv11
Posts: 9462
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
Location: Iowa
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 243 times
United States of America
erikv11

Re:

Post by erikv11 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:39 pm

I don't argue your point they are too bright, its is good to hear from someone with knowledge on the subject. But I have a question:
Blockpartie wrote:... If the headlights are in bad condition it will be worse. A pitted lens will spread light all over the place. Again blinding oncoming traffic, with the added bonus of increased blinding range....
This statement doesn't really make sense to me. With old, crappy headlights the light will be (1) less well reflected so less intense (i.e., the bad condition of the reflector doesn't make things worse, it mitigates them) and (2) scattered all over the place i.e. not directly at the oncoming traffic, which is a tiny slice of the full arc through which light could be scattered (so the condition of the lens doesn't make things worse, it mitigates them).

Yes, I know the well substantiated point that bad lenses can change the light pattern so the lights aren't illuminating where they should, so old lenses are a bad idea, but that's not what I'm posting about. Again, let's ignore (or accept even - fine!) that the brighter bulbs are a bad idea - do you really think aging headlights makes them an even worse idea? Seems like over-bright bulbs are MUCH worse in new headlights.
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 285k
'06 S60 R, 165k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 125k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

User avatar
rspi
Posts: 7247
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:40 am
Year and Model: 850 T-5R Wagon
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 40 times
United States of America
rspi

Re: LED headlight bulbs for Volvo S70, V70, etc. - Video  Topic is solved

Post by rspi » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:03 pm

mrbrian200 wrote: People you can't do this you can cause an accident. And it can be determined as your fault regardless of who hit who or what first.
Come on man, are you serious? I've had my HID's installed for about 2 years now, over 70,000 miles and have only had a couple of complaints, when I had the rear of the car overloaded. NEVER have I seen any accidents due to my headlight brightness. On the flip side, they have probably saved me from having a few accidents and damage to my car by NOT being able to see the road.

Also, at the end of the video, I show the light pattern against a wall and other spots. Please don't over react, it's not helpful. Besides, over half of these P80 x70 cars are dangerously driving at night with no light on the road.
'95 855 T-5R M, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red 25/32 mpg
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, 960's, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R YellowVolvo Repair Videos

Blockpartie
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 10:12 am
Year and Model: ...
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Blockpartie

Post by Blockpartie » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:37 pm

Headlights are incredibly complex so this is more of a rough explanation than a comprehensive, scientific paper.

Volvo S70 and V70 from 1996 (MY1997) to 2000 (MY2000) have a very simple, basic headlight design:
A molded, shaped reflector is used as the basis to form the light pattern. Certain parts of the reflector are reflective, while others are designed to not be. This design was chosen so that the position of the bulb allows for even spreading of the emitted light within the housing, e.g. the maximum amount of light that is safe is actually available.

The lens has to safely 'focus' and disperse the light. That is the reason for all the strange lines build into the glas.

Compare this design to the C70 convertible facelift headlights (also called 'jewel headlights'). Those lights are completely different, the reflector is shaped to reflect the light in specific ways. Spec's say something about ~4000 individual ray reflection points, achieved by non uniform reflector surfaces.
The lens is more or less only there to keep the weather out and let light through.

-----------------------------------

The problem with a pitted lens is that the light is disperse at random. The angle of individual light rays is of, the light pattern no longer works.
Similar with a bad reflector where a damaged reflective surface causes changes to the light pattern.

Increasing the brightness e.g. having more light emitted from a light source placed in a damaged headlight is problematic for several reasons.
The light coming from the headlight is now uneven and has high and low spots, something that is causing discomfort for anyone looking at it. Not to mention that there is now glare, possibly excessive glare.

LED lights are worse than incandescent bulbs due to their design. A normal bulb tends to evenly spread light in the housing from 360°. Cause, you know, it's a glowing piece of metal in a glas tube.
LED's like the one installed in the video have individual chips that emit light that can not achieve a 360° coverage. Right from the get go there are now high and low spots.

Bright bulbs in perfect headlights will be brighter. However the perception of bright bulbs in junk headlights is 'worse' because of how the glare and brightness happens.

Some reading:
(Possibly with captacha)
https://www.osapublishing.org/DirectPDF ... &mobile=no

User avatar
rspi
Posts: 7247
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:40 am
Year and Model: 850 T-5R Wagon
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 40 times
United States of America
rspi

Re:

Post by rspi » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Blockpartie wrote:Headlights are incredibly complex so this is more of a rough explanation than a comprehensive, scientific paper.

Volvo S70 and V70 from 1996 (MY1997) to 2000 (MY2000) have a very simple, basic headlight design:
A molded, shaped reflector is used as the basis to form the light pattern. Certain parts of the reflector are reflective, while others are designed to not be. This design was chosen so that the position of the bulb allows for even spreading of the emitted light within the housing, e.g. the maximum amount of light that is safe is actually available.

The lens has to safely 'focus' and disperse the light. That is the reason for all the strange lines build into the glas.

Compare this design to the C70 convertible facelift headlights (also called 'jewel headlights'). Those lights are completely different, the reflector is shaped to reflect the light in specific ways. Spec's say something about ~4000 individual ray reflection points, achieved by non uniform reflector surfaces.
The lens is more or less only there to keep the weather out and let light through.

-----------------------------------

The problem with a pitted lens is that the light is disperse at random. The angle of individual light rays is of, the light pattern no longer works.
Similar with a bad reflector where a damaged reflective surface causes changes to the light pattern.

Increasing the brightness e.g. having more light emitted from a light source placed in a damaged headlight is problematic for several reasons.
The light coming from the headlight is now uneven and has high and low spots, something that is causing discomfort for anyone looking at it. Not to mention that there is now glare, possibly excessive glare.

LED lights are worse than incandescent bulbs due to their design. A normal bulb tends to evenly spread light in the housing from 360°. Cause, you know, it's a glowing piece of metal in a glas tube.
LED's like the one installed in the video have individual chips that emit light that can not achieve a 360° coverage. Right from the get go there are now high and low spots.

Bright bulbs in perfect headlights will be brighter. However the perception of bright bulbs in junk headlights is 'worse' because of how the glare and brightness happens.

Some reading:
(Possibly with captacha)
https://www.osapublishing.org/DirectPDF ... &mobile=no
Man, you have my permission NOT to get these lights. If you see me driving, please feel free to flash me in protest.
'95 855 T-5R M, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red 25/32 mpg
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, 960's, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R YellowVolvo Repair Videos

polskamafia mjl
Posts: 2627
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:10 am
Year and Model: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R
Location: Hershey, PA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 6 times
Poland
polskamafia mjl

Re: LED headlight bulbs for Volvo S70, V70, etc. - Video

Post by polskamafia mjl » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:30 pm

ecbsykes wrote:Nice. I'm going to be trying my first LEDs in my new fog lights I just got for the old girl.
Any updates on that? I've had my fogs out ever since I repainted my bumper and I would love to do this upgrade before I get around to installing them again.
These users thanked the author polskamafia mjl for the post:
default
'All my money is gone and I have an old Volvo.' - Bamse's Turbo Underpants

Current: 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R Manual - Bringing it back from the brink of death
Previous: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT - Totaled

ecbsykes
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:43 pm
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
Location: Enid, OK
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 28 times
United States of America
ecbsykes

Re: LED headlight bulbs for Volvo S70, V70, etc. - Video

Post by ecbsykes » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:48 am

polskamafia mjl wrote:
ecbsykes wrote:Nice. I'm going to be trying my first LEDs in my new fog lights I just got for the old girl.
Any updates on that? I've had my fogs out ever since I repainted my bumper and I would love to do this upgrade before I get around to installing them again.
The LED bulbs I got were too long and hit the shield inside the housing. I ended up just putting in the Silverstar Ultras and I actually like the results quite a bit. New fog light assemblies were obviously the main reason for the improvement, but the light output it very white for a halogen. I don't normally drive with the fogs on all the time, so I'm not too concerned with bulb longevity.
2000 V70XC - 295,000 miles
Hilton Tune, 16T Turbo, Mototec 3" downpipe, Blue injectors, IPD Short Ram Filter, Snabb Intake Piping & RIP kit, do88 Intercooler, TME Dual Exhaust, HID Projectors, R Panels, do88 Silicone Hoses

User avatar
Tremelune
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:38 pm
Year and Model: 1994
Location: Brooklyn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Tremelune

Re: LED headlight bulbs for Volvo S70, V70, etc. - Video

Post by Tremelune » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:44 am

Great writeup, but there is a significant increase in glare for other drivers, which is what always happens when you replace halogen bulbs with drop-in HID and LED bulbs. E-code halogen housings are still the only way to do it right without retrofitting a projector.

I would not recommend doing this.

User avatar
erikv11
Posts: 9462
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
Location: Iowa
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 243 times
United States of America
erikv11

Re: LED headlight bulbs for Volvo S70, V70, etc. - Video

Post by erikv11 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:39 pm

ecbsykes wrote:
polskamafia mjl wrote:
ecbsykes wrote:Nice. I'm going to be trying my first LEDs in my new fog lights I just got for the old girl.
Any updates on that? I've had my fogs out ever since I repainted my bumper and I would love to do this upgrade before I get around to installing them again.
The LED bulbs I got were too long and hit the shield inside the housing. I ended up just putting in the Silverstar Ultras and I actually like the results quite a bit. New fog light assemblies were obviously the main reason for the improvement, but the light output it very white for a halogen. I don't normally drive with the fogs on all the time, so I'm not too concerned with bulb longevity.
But keep in mind V70 fogs are pretty different from 850 fogs, both as far as what fits in the housings and for output. But yes, I'd love to know of an option for the 850 fog that's better than the anemic factory output. So polska please update if you figure something out, too.
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 285k
'06 S60 R, 165k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 125k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

1998v70xcbill
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:33 pm
Year and Model: 1998v70xc
Location: phila pa
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
United States of America
1998v70xcbill

Re: LED headlight bulbs for Volvo S70, V70, etc. - Video

Post by 1998v70xcbill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:11 am

just bought new tyc from ipd $80 each. Should have done 2 years ago. Have not used them yet, but they look great compared to the hellla I replaced.
Buy new head light assemblies, worth the cost.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post