IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Buying Journey V70? Outside Salt Belt Advice For Newbie Topic is solved

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Winfred
Year and Model: 1998 v70

Buying Journey V70? Outside Salt Belt Advice For Newbie

Post by Winfred »

Hi!

I'm attempting to formulate a major "Volvo" plan and need any input. I'm single, 62, low budget retired, and live in Minnesota in the worst of the “Salt Belt”. I plan on driving a pre-planned route in my 1997 Subaru AWD wagon (I owned it since 2005 and drove it from 154K miles to now 285K) and going outside the Salt Belt in quest of a 1998 V70 Volvo wagon. I'll sleep in my Subaru wagon at Walmart parking lots. I did this before also at truck stops and state parks for 2 ½ months on an adventure trip I took over much of the “West” in 2007. Before leaving on my Volvo journey... I also plan to buy maybe on Amazon an OBD2 diagnostic decoder to take with me to check for any codes with each Volvo I look at. If my Subaru dies along the way I will have a small pack with me and hitchhike to look at the 3 best of the now about twenty 1998 Volvo V70's I found advertised.

Once I find a V70 I'll then turn my Subaru over to the nearest a junk yard and get I guess a 90 day general temporary license for my new V70 and travel around the “West” again. Is that what they do in most states when you buy a used car and junk the one you were driving? I can't work on a car myself due to physical limitations. I'm hoping to get a dependable Volvo because they don't rust and are so highly rated with nice quality. I figure the rich people who buy them new get tired of one model after a while then sell them even though they last for 400,000 miles. At least that's the way it seems to be with Volvos. In your experience, most likely far more than myself, does that sound right? I have an apt in Minnesota, so I'd plan to return to get my belongings and terminate my rent. I could with my V70 return to maybe California to find a tiny Senior studio type of apartment to live in and subsist on my Social Security. It might sound foolish, the following: The ocean is amazing and exotic to me as I've hardly been around the sea, part of my logic for the California idea. Maybe, just maybe a cheap apartment not exactly a prominent suite overlooking the surf ha! I might even get around good in my Volvo and get cheap land at least near the ocean and make like an "aircrete" dome with a solar panel on a low budget. Any input on that idea too. I like wagons as I can sleep in the back when traveling, plus they are so handy; and I do random acts of kindness for shut-ins and drive them around for scenery and fun. I've done that in my Subaru around here but now too risky we'd break down. Life goes on though and thinking of sunshine and the sea on my bucket list. When I was a kid I liked "Run For Your Life" tv series with actor Ben Gazara. I better keep to the subject ha! Any advice at all, greatly appreciated! I also like to car camp. It's all part of my “bucket list” I guess.

I spent all day today and last night, many hours, bookmarking ads of 1998 V70's for sale by owner, and not by a dealer, and by owners that seem to be good caretakers of their cars. I'm looking for a 1998 model Volvo because a guy selling his 1998 V70 Volvo with 5 speed Transmission "Stage 3" (whatever that means), 303k miles, for $5,500 because of now having 4 kids and needing a van, had some what seems to be very good Volvo advice that the 1998 model was Volvo's best year ever. (Let me know what you think...) He even had a new engine put in it 145,000 miles ago. This is his list... only I want an automatic tranny... could I have an automatic installed in it? Maybe I'd drive all the way to Texas to look at it!

REPAIRS:
145k miles ago: New T5 (stock) Engine
40k miles ago: Timing belt/water pump/timing belt/idler pulley/tensioner/pulley-pads/rotors/calipers/hydraulic lines
15k miles ago: trunk springs/fuel filter/CV axles/coolant expansion tank/radiator/A/C compressor and fan motor relay/45k mile tires/MAF Sensor/new evap lines/
1k miles ago: Rear control arms & bushings + Sway bar bushings (handles amazing!), All transmission cooler lines, Cam shaft position sensor seal (Fixed a small oil leak), New rear wheel bearings, Parking brake cable, O2 sensor, New Interstate battery, Cabin/Air filter, Spark plugs
UPGRADES:
40k miles ago: IPD Stage 3 Tune/Turbo/Exhaust (Euro Spec Turbo)/euro spec clutch/front & rear iPD sway bars & links/Bilstein shock & struts/IPD coil springs/front arm controls/"R" Style Front bumper, bucket seats, rims/3M urethane paint protection film/euro spec headlights & turn signals/new tailgate/spark plugs,
The car has only been ran with Premium gas and Pentosin (Volvo recommended) coolant. I also have . I maintain my vehicles and always tell my mechanic to fix everything that's broken. This is a solid car that needs almost nothing fixed, yet is extremely easy to work on. It comes with 2 Volvo keys, Hayes repair manual, service records, and an AutoCheck Vehicle History Report (like Carfax) from 2013.

Being a “Turbo” is that less mileage? Maybe that's not worth the cost or low mileage as compared to a non-turbo. Do turbos cost more in repairs? How much would that tranny transplant, if possible, cost?

This guy selling his 1998 V70... his big influence to me was when he said he very extensively researched and talked to 5 pro Volvo mechanics. They all independently said that the 1998 V70, the last model made in Sweden with the best engine of all Volvos and made before all the more extensive electronics... is the best one to buy. What do you others think?

So I found about twenty of the 1998 wagons yet a significant amount of them all over the US, yet only after many hours searching ads. Again probably nearly 50% of them were in California... so I'm going to narrow that down to 3 V70's in California... or maybe a couple in Arizona too... and go on my journey – well that depends on any very much appreciated advice from you guys. Does that sound good? Have you heard of others doing that before? I can do it because I'm single and do not have any time constraints since I'm retired. Also, I'm not the average “Senior” being on a very low budget. The journey makes me both nervous yet enthused... but “nothing ventured nothing gained”. In general too, does this sound like a good idea with a V70 Volvo being a major element in my plans? Thanks for taking the time with me! Thanks Matthew and all the volunteers too!

Kindest Regards,
Winfred
Last edited by Winfred on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Re: Buying Journey V70? Outside Salt Belt Advice For Newbie

Post by abscate »

I love your sense of adventure Winfred! But, some of my advice will go against your panel of experts.

1 your budget is in between the current price of P80 (1992-1998) and P2 (1999-2000, 2001-2007) models. I own one of each and can say the P2s are a much superior fit and finish and driving experience.

2 I think any 1996-1998 or 1999-2004 model would work well for you.

3 you have to learn to at least oversee work on these cars yourself. The parts are really high quality and thus expensive. Many, if not most , aftermarket parts are junk and won't give good service life. A mechanic will often use cheap parts to keep your bill down and then 6 months later.....

4 look at the classifieds here for cars nearby then use this thread to discuss

5 temp licensing can be difficult in states, as in impossible. Research carefully

6 if you make some friends here you will find many will help you out locally keeping an old Volvo alive, plus help find good parts used from PnP etc. that could be valuable in your retirement plan. CA is retirement friendly for weather, but not much else, btw.

7 very few have done a manual to auto swap, it's a big job. CA has this little thing called " smog testing" which could be a huge problem with a modified car.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
Clemens
Year and Model: 96 855 R + 94 855 T5

Post by Clemens »

why exlude the earlier p80 (850) wagons? The until 95 models have the oBD 1 blinky box that gives you codes without the need for an OBD2 scanner (that, btw., is pretty much useless for 96 and 97 cars).

I agree with abscate, volvos run good on volvo parts and there is alot that can go wrong.
I've had a 95 4dr for 6 years that i bought for 1000 and nothing except for a fuel pump, timing belt, battery, new brakes and a heater core to fix.
If you want to keep it in pristine condition, or even nice, prepare to spend alot more.

Have you considered Oregon or northern California? Not as warm, but a few of my friends moved up there because California got too expensive for them. Just to consider if you are on a budget.

Good luck with your journey!
Summer: 1996 855 R
Winter: 1994 855 T5M
Donor: 1995 854 10V
Clemens
Year and Model: 96 855 R + 94 855 T5

Post by Clemens »

P.S. the car you posted info about is definitely a nice car, but it sure has a harsh ride with these?components. Just to consider.
Summer: 1996 855 R
Winter: 1994 855 T5M
Donor: 1995 854 10V
abscate
MVS Moderator

Post by abscate »

I'm doing so because a guy selling his 1998 V70 Volvo with 5 speed Transmission "Stage 3" (whatever that means), 303k miles, for $5,500
In my humble opinion you can do much better than this. You don't want to pay for someones installation of expensive speed parts that won't really be of value to you. For a good condition P80, think about half this amount, and bank the other 2000 for repairs for the next 3 years.
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary
mecheng
Year and Model: 1998 Volvo S70 T5

Post by mecheng »

Don't buy someones mods, especially for that price, way too much for the miles. You want a clean, unmolested car, and you can get one much less than that asking price.

Keep in mind, Volvo's while perfectly reliable at times, they require specific maintenance (especially the Turbo models) and as Abscate pointed out require OEM parts. They are not a set and forget car like a Japanese car is. But they reward you with a far superior drive, and make Japanese cars feel like tin cans (at least the ones made in this time period).
1998 Volvo S70 T5 - SE - 240km - Sold July 2018
1997 Volvo 850 GLT - 190km
Boost is my drug of choice
Winfred

Post by Winfred »

Hi Everyone!

I'm just sending this out quickly and more above in replies. Me and my big "98's" idea "twenty 1998's" ha! Wow, another of my daft moves yet this time from the school of good knocks ha! You guys are preventative medicine, or preventative care ha! The nonsurgical approach ha! Even about Cali-for-nye-aye! What happened was... I looked at my post yesterday and today and never scrolled down! I was thinking I'd written something wrong, maybe too much, and did all this editing ha! Now I went back and put it in again! I'm thinking there's something in it for others too though. I thought if someone replied that it would just show at the bottom with maybe a line, or to be truthful I didn't know what I was doing as here are all these fine answers from caring people I never even knew was here WOW!

I was musing (nice way to say feeling sorry for myself ha) on my own and going to YOuTube with tutorials, taking notes, musing until 4AM and here is all this great advice! THANKS! You guys are really shaping things up for me and even some advice about California ha! I'll get back to the car part but wasn't thinking enough about northern California and Oregon. I'm just wondering about the rain though. When I was at Big Sur in 2007 in my Subaru and camping $8 a night at Andrew Morelos State Park, a primitive camping park you have to hike into... and a long story about getting there very tired and thought since I paid my $8 all fine and didn't want to hike a mile in at 1AM to set up my tent so I slept in my Subaru wagon in the big parking lot there. Wow, spotlights galore and the police! I even had to stand out of my car. They were nice but here I'd paid and had a stub for proof. I had to leave and they said I had to go to a $23 a night campground that was quite a ways away. They even followed me all the way there! So I ended up paying twice, and even more! After that I the next day hiked the mile in and set up my tent. It was kind of scary as gas in April of 2007 was, along Big Sur area, $4.12 a gallon! I still can see that exact price imprinted on my mind ha! Really though this is about Volvo, yet Volvo moderators/administrators... Volvo does come into play here in a big way as I'm thinking the wagon is roomier than my subaru. With Volvo, they are heavier (I'm realizing for good reasons heavier), and I pay more for gas, but if I'm on top of it the overall I will be better off with Volvo. I don't really want a van, another long story and I best shut up. You guys opened a big door and will consider other models now. I also never knew it's a hassle getting a temporary license, one of those you tape in the window, until I get back to Minnesota. I can't move right away. I'm just thinking there's a lot of other things that can rust besides the body. I do think though that Volvo has a top notch idea in having a good quality aluminum body. Thanks for your top notch advice. I'll keep coming back here to read about anything you guys think of! Invaluable!!
Top of the Day!
Winfred
abscate
MVS Moderator

Post by abscate »

As long as you find your chi, Winfred, we don't mind if its in a Volvo or not.

One of my other car passions is air cooled VW - and you should see the posts we get from there. Usually someone who has bought a 1970 Bus and is in the middle of the Mohave and the 'oil light came on' The old VWs really require maintenance monthly and most just are not up for that.

As long as you active CA is ok - being retired you can learn how to miss traffic, but my folks are 85& 92 and are moving back to upstate NY for sunset retirement
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary
Winfred

Post by Winfred »

mecheng wrote:Don't buy someones mods, especially for that price, way too much for the miles. You want a clean, unmolested car, and you can get one much less than that asking price.

Keep in mind, Volvo's while perfectly reliable at times, they require specific maintenance (especially the Turbo models) and as Abscate pointed out require OEM parts. They are not a set and forget car like a Japanese car is. But they reward you with a far superior drive, and make Japanese cars feel like tin cans (at least the ones made in this time period).
Hi Mecheng!

You know what? I was thinking "just get in the Subaru, drive straight down Interstate 35W straight shot to Texas" and at least take a look and now I didn't even realize that modifications are not good or that making such modifications even could in effect create more problems by "jerry rigging" things as they say around here. Well, that's not really jerry-rigging it's suping things up. I didn't realize that's what the parts list this guy advertised spells out. As a kid, when I was at the clinic (for health this time ha) I liked looking at the back of "Highlights" magazine at the big picture that camouflages the little hidden images. You stare at it long enough and suddenly there they are. That's what you guys are doing, getting me to look twice or into! So no 35W straight shots to Texas ha! I wouldn't risk it that way though, a straight shot. I'd stop and sleep. Better safe than sorry. I mean with me at this point in my life there's nothing to hurry about anyways ha! Really though I've never been one to "fools rush in" on things... although I like that song ha! Thanks for your help!
Top of the Day! Winfred
Winfred

Post by Winfred »

Clemens wrote:why exlude the earlier p80 (850) wagons? The until 95 models have the oBD 1 blinky box that gives you codes without the need for an OBD2 scanner (that, btw., is pretty much useless for 96 and 97 cars).

I agree with abscate, volvos run good on volvo parts and there is alot that can go wrong.
I've had a 95 4dr for 6 years that i bought for 1000 and nothing except for a fuel pump, timing belt, battery, new brakes and a heater core to fix.
If you want to keep it in pristine condition, or even nice, prepare to spend alot more.

Have you considered Oregon or northern California? Not as warm, but a few of my friends moved up there because California got too expensive for them. Just to consider if you are on a budget.

Good luck with your journey!
Hi Clemens!
You know they said for my '97 Subaru wagon (285,000 miles now), "the old '97" ha, I needed 2 new calipers, 2 new rotors, all new brake pads, and they did in June and time before that new power steering pump and fuel tank filler neck, new tie rod, and new (hassle to do) valve cover gaskets... so in September they tell me it's too rusty to work on any more and too many big problems like the head gasket and oil pan and tranny pan gaskets, and found out I'm 51,000 miles past doing my timing belt ha! It didn't make sense to me in some ways... yet really they are a good garage. They even said any used car I want to get help deciding on that for free they'd put it up on the rack and tell me if I should buy the car wow! Some places I heard charge $100 to do that! Thanks for your advice which is also having an influence. See below... "straight shot to Texas" ha!

It's great this Volvo buyers guide kind of tutorial on YouTube from a guy "Robert". I'm learning to do like your list when looking, timing belt replacement date, heater core leaking into carpet... etc. Isn't it hard though the farther one goes back in time with Volvos the harder to get parts? You guys are great! I found last night a '98 V70 Volvo for I think it's like $1,250 only a few miles away! Here I'd been looking outside the "Salt Belt" and would spend a lot of money on the road and the "what if" with my timing belt snapping in my Subaru along the way! The vehicle for sale had Colorado plates on it in the photo and owner said he just bought MN plates. I wonder why he's getting new plates if he's selling it? If his Colorado plates are okay, then why change them if he's not going to be the owner. I tried to look up his just barely visible Colorado plate numbers 133QSF thinking that's all public information, right? I tried looking that up "for free" at the license plate look-up sites and it's not for free and read their info is quite limited, I mean what you end up getting for their price. So this other site says they look it all up way beyond the free sites and that they are "the real thing". So farther into things one finds out they want $39 for every plate they look up ha! Really... Coke is not "the real thing" once you read about it and what additives they put in it so you don't vomit from such a huge dose of sugar. I read that if you just drank that amount of sugar in like plain water a person would actually be prone to vomiting from the extreme amount of sugar. You guys, no additives ha, are the real thing though! Thanks for taking the time!
Top of the Day!
Winfred