IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

98 V70 brake front and rear brake calipers

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

98v70dad
Year and Model: 98 V70

Re: 98 V70 brake front and rear brake calipers

Post by 98v70dad »

kaneelschep wrote:I rebuild them all in a day and never did this job before. If I had known how easy it was, I would have done it to all my previous cars. its a world of difference.
Buying the whole set; pistons, rubbers, etc was really cheap compared to replacement calipers. spent under a 100 euro for all.
And all of the oroginal seals and pistons were rusted and broken.
Now I still have the original calipers, wich is worth something to me too.

Getting the piping off the rear calipers was actually the hardest part of all. Had to do the rear right while still attached to the car. That nut just did not come of and they are really easy to destroy. Even higher up it did not come loose. Didnt have anything to heat it up with.
Besides from that, it was easy.
But not as easy as just replacing them with refurbished ones of course ;)
I believe your comment that the rebuilt job is easy and cheap. However, this car sucks up all of my free time - ALL OF IT. That's why I wanted to consider the easy remove and replace option even if it costs me a couple hundred dollars . I also have a drive axle to rebuild, remove and replace..
kaneelschep
Year and Model: '96 850 2liter t5

Post by kaneelschep »

Of course. I understand! ;)
We all have the same I guess. Otherwise this forum would not be as complete as it is. :)
You fix one thing and the next thing will come up.
They just have so much parts that can and will fail or get old... I guess it was all very new for volvo too at that time.

If it wasnt for being able to do most myself, the space in the back, 211HP and my new LPG installation. I would probably drive a boring 90's 2liter benzine Vw passat station by now.
My father and me drove half a million kms in a second hand 94 tdi passat and it had nothing. Ever. did 1400km on a tank. Always started. original AC ECC still working when we traded it in at 700000kms.
But ey... ;) I do like my 850 a lot..
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Update.

My front Cardone calipers have lasted 4 years with no problems. I do change brake fluid every two years.

My rear Cardone’s have frozen on the left side in under two years.

Thesis: I drive conservatively at 65 orless, with a 3 second follow. I rarely use full brake force. I suspect my rear brakes are hardly used,ergo they rust and freeze up. The rebuilt pistons are probably chinesium pot metal pistons. My original set lasted 17 years.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary