IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Vented oil cap to intake box mod?

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

SonicAdventure
Year and Model: 1996 850 wagon

Vented oil cap to intake box mod?

Post by SonicAdventure »

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get the resources together to do my PCV job, but unfortunately I probably won't have the money to do something like this till late February. In the mean time I want to do everything I can to keep the car running ok and keep the crankcase pressure down.

I saw a post on another forum some time ago that involved getting an extra oil cap from the junkyard and drilling a hole in the top of it all the way through the metal bottom. Then, a length of copper rod with a 90 degree elbow is inserted into the hole and JB Welded into place. The rod length is supposed to be whatever the height of the oil cap is from the bottom of the metal surface to the top of the cap, with about 1/8" inch of space between the copper elbow and the cap so that a piece of 5/8" inner diameter heater hose can be installed and clamped in place on the elbow. Then the heater hose is routed to either the intake port on the air box where the large hose from the PCV box would go (not sure what you are suppose to do with that) or it's to be spliced into the intake hose to the PCV box OR it is to be routed to a modded intake port in the air box with a similar copper pipe / elbow combination...I can't remember and I can't remember where I saw this being discussed.

I had that dipstick snorkel in place for a little while but it was allowing condensation to develop in the snorkel and in the dipstick tube...after I cleaned it out I didn't have any problems with condensation until just recently, but I realize that is due to driving short trips and it being colder outside.

I hate not being able to afford to just have this darn PCV job done by a pro, but it's just not in the cards. Even buying the parts is a stretch, plus the downtime of maybe not having a car until it's all sorted out.

If anyone can chime in on the vented oil cap mod or knows where I might have read it, please let me know. Also any other suggestions of what to do to keep the pressure down until I can get this fixed the right way. Thanks.
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Re: Vented oil cap to intake box mod??

Post by abscate »

Poor mans fix = pull the dipstick and vent the tube down the road with about $4 of PVC
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Post by cn90 »

Actually, you can do the PCV for about $30 or so. All you need are:
- Hose from oil trap to valve cover...$22 or so. Use only Volvo OEM.
- Short hoses from oil trap ---> engine x2.

- Re-use the oil trap, clean it an re-use it.
- 5/8-inch hose mod. I didn't use the 90-degree copper elbow and 5 years later I am fine, as long as you don't introduce any kink in the hose, you are OK. Copper elbow is cheap, about $1-$2 at hardware store.
- Clamps: just get the correct sizes.
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+
beigg
Year and Model: 850 97

Post by beigg »

I would be inclined to route the "new" cap port to the PCV with oil heater element port that is at the turbocharger air inlet. It might require a "T" if plugging the oem line and putting the "new" cap port line to it doesn't net desired results.
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge
polskamafia mjl
Year and Model: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R

Re: Vented oil cap to intake box mod?

Post by polskamafia mjl »

Leave your dipstick snorkel in place. It wasn't allowing condensation in anymore than the actual dipstick would. Like you mentioned those short trips are what's causing it.

As cn90 mentioned though the parts for the PCV job aren't very expensive if you avoid buy the kit. You're only issue then becomes how long it takes you to do the job. It should only take a few hours.
'All my money is gone and I have an old Volvo.' - Bamse's Turbo Underpants

Current: 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R Manual - Bringing it back from the brink of death
Previous: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT - Totaled
SonicAdventure

Post by SonicAdventure »

beigg wrote:I would be inclined to route the "new" cap port to the PCV with oil heater element port that is at the turbocharger air inlet. It might require a "T" if plugging the oem line and putting the "new" cap port line to it doesn't net desired results.
My car is non-turbo. I was thinking of running the tube from the oil cap to the intake nearby the PTC valve, or possibly in the side of the air intake box.
erikv11
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R

Post by erikv11 »

SonicAdventure wrote:
beigg wrote:I would be inclined to route the "new" cap port to the PCV with oil heater element port that is at the turbocharger air inlet. It might require a "T" if plugging the oem line and putting the "new" cap port line to it doesn't net desired results.
My car is non-turbo. I was thinking of running the tube from the oil cap to the intake nearby the PTC valve, or possibly in the side of the air intake box.
I'm not following the line here. There is no PTC on an NA engine. You mean at the flame trap housing, maybe?
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 293k
'06 S60 R, 167k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 130k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k
SonicAdventure

Post by SonicAdventure »

erikv11 wrote:
SonicAdventure wrote:
I'm not following the line here. There is no PTC on an NA engine. You mean at the flame trap housing, maybe?
Yes you are correct. I suppose I would put it somewhere on the back side of the air intake box above the air filter, sort of pointing back toward the heater core hoses. That way the modded heater hose could be routed close to (and possibly zip-tied to) the upper engine mount bracket.
beigg
Year and Model: 850 97

Post by beigg »

you got it!
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge
rspi
Year and Model: 850 T-5R Wagon

Post by rspi »

You will also need an intake manifold gasket.
'95 855 T-5R M, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red 25/32 mpg
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, 960's, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R YellowVolvo Repair Videos