IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Official way to hold spare wheel in the back of volvo 850 station.

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

kaneelschep
Year and Model: '96 850 2liter t5

Official way to hold spare wheel in the back of volvo 850 station.

Post by kaneelschep »

Hi all.

Since I have an lpg tank in the sparewheel place, i need to put the spare wheel somewhere safe and secure.
Having it lay in the back is not the best solution. For instance taking a roundabout quickly is not an option ;)

In a mercedes I have seen something like an indentation in one of the sides. So the wheel can stand in it. With a cable around it to hold it.

Is there any standard official way to secure a sparewheel in the back of a volvo 850 station?

The back has these covers next to the floordoor. So it seems like an option.

thanks!
rspi
Year and Model: 850 T-5R Wagon

Re: Official way to hold spare wheel in the back of volvo 850 station.

Post by rspi »

You can install a roof rack and tie it up there. Also, the rear corners have tie down rings.

'95 855 T-5R M, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red 25/32 mpg
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, 960's, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R YellowVolvo Repair Videos
skloon
Year and Model: 94 850 95 850 04 S60

Post by skloon »

Continental kit would be cool
dyn blin
Year and Model: 1997 850 Wgn

Post by dyn blin »

I'm interested in learning more about the LPG conversion...
'97 850 GLT Wagon- Driving to see 300k in the rearview
misha
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v

Post by misha »

Why....i don't think you have LPG stations in U.S...so what's the point?
kaneelschep wrote:...Since I have an lpg tank in the sparewheel place, i need to put the spare wheel somewhere safe and secure...
You don't have a choice other than put it in a spare wheel bag and leave it at the trunk.
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS
kaneelschep
Year and Model: '96 850 2liter t5

Post by kaneelschep »

Hmm. So no standard thing ey.. Too bad. I saw a standing wheel in the back of a parked 960 today.
In a bag nicely on the side against the window. I will make something like that too. And see what is under the left side panel.
Maybe it will fit. And make some harnass and tie it to the luggage eyes. The wheel fits my startercables, security shirts and medikit nicely too.

Ah lpg! I love it. It gives me the freedom you have in america. And maybe take a bit for granted sometimes ;)
The standard benzine, 95 octane, at a cheap place is now 1,55 euro per litre in Holland. LPG at a cheap place is now 0.56euro per litre.
Not that they dont sell lpg allmost everywhere too, but some are just remarkably cheaper. And since its cheap.. Every cent counts.
Roadtax is now 100 euro per month instead of 60. but that is paid back at 9000 to 10000km a year. And I did 20000 in the last half year.
Insurance is the same for whatever fuel you drive.

I had it done in june at a specialized shop with 40 years of lpg experience and well known for doing a lot of volvos. They say its one of the best engines to drive on lpg. Next to some renault and a 8v opel engine. Bought this car at 248000. Did it at 296000km. Now at 316000. No problem whatsoever. -20 till +45. always worked. I allready had the irridium NGK plugs for 10000km. Wich the shop loved btw. :)
Got bosch distributor/rotor and Delphi cables quite at the same time as lpg. So those are allready 20000km old. No issues.
Probably should think about changing those now i think of it..
The shop said to take especially good care of the ignition parts. They are always the first to make strange problems with lpg.
Comes with its own learning and cooperative ecu put between the battery and the lamp. lpg pump is on the firewall on the left. Filter next to the pump. The injectors are placed on a rail on the old fuelrail.
5 holes were drilled and tapped in the manifold. Wich connect with hoses to the injectors.
55 litre ringtank in the sparewheel space wich can be 80% filled for very outdated safety reasons. These tanks are neigh indestructable nowadays, but hey.. Tank filler hole with bajonet fitting in the bumper on the right.
Little new button next to tracs button with 5 little bulbs as fuel gauge. 4 green. 1 red. 2 bulbs for fuel type. orange benzine or green lpg.
It always starts on benzine. at 30c degrees it switches to lpg automaticly without a hitch or a blub. the ecus always mix the two to the needed mixture.
When starting with over 30c it immediately goes to lpg. When about to go empty it is allready mixing back to benzine and then automaticly switches.
Button wil make a sound. I push the button, sound stops and light goes to benzine. No drama.
Last time I tanked benzine was beginning of january in loosdorf, austria. Very cheap jet tankstation. ;) And the needle hardly moved.

Almost every european country sells it at a lot of stations. Even at night. There are 3 type of lpg connecters. So I have two adapters in the car wich I always need going to Hungary through germany and austria. Austria lpg stations are a bit sparse, but they are learning quick.

On these 1400km trips I can test the mileage perfectly. I drive the entire trip in once on as much cruise control as possible.
It has a lot of climbing through germany and austria.
At a 100km/h I drive almost 1 litre on 10km. At 120 it becomes 1 litre on 8km. On benzine I do 1/12 km at 100. and 1/10 at 120.
But its a 2litre t5 wagon. It will never be a prius. At 120/130 you really hit the wall where it begins to eat a lot I noticed. Whatever fuel.
At least this way I can push it for cheap. Wich I sometimes do for a bit when I am bored on the german highway at night. Doing 170-180 on cruise control wakes you up very well. Also surprisingly comfortable and silent still.
No noticable powerloss whatsoever between fuels. Sometimes in warm summers in the city traffic it can even feel more powerfull on lpg.
More on edge on the power. More torque'y. Maybe just in my head. ;)

Anyway. LPG has come a long way from throwing some in the airfilter and seeing what will happen. Never starting in the cold. using massive amounts. To this very reliable fuel efficient injector and dedicated ecu system without issues. I just wish it would have fitted a bigger tank.
But then they had to cut away a piece of the spare wheel hole. Apparently the V70 has a more straight wall in the hole. :P whereas the 850 has a slight angle in the walls. Otherwise I would have had a 68 litre tank. Effectively 54. but hey... I have 3 apps and 1 navigation system on my phone wich all know where to tank lpg. So no problem.
dyn blin

Post by dyn blin »

misha wrote:Why....i don't think you have LPG stations in U.S...so what's the point?
There's an ongoing LPG pump buildout in California to support state vehicle and bifuel Cal-Trans fleets that is also open to consumers. Additionally, there is a 50%/ $500 subsidy offerred by the Fed to mitigate conversion costs.

Besides, I'm a chronically curious wrencher. One of the reasons we've supported a stable of Volvos and I subscribe to this forum.
dyn blin

Post by dyn blin »

kaneelschep- thanks for detailed description.

One of the challenges here is also the lack of standardized fueling nozzles. Price-wise there's not much savings over the energy- equivalent petrol cost, but our federal "road tax" is paid at the pump, and LPG is exempt, and only .06/gal by the state, so a bit of savings there.

My biggest concern was the ECU. From what you mention, it seems there's an established resource for that out there somewhere.
misha
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v

Post by misha »

If you want to read about conversions,check for Lovato lpg system,Zavoli,Brc,Landirenzo.
Those are the best brands of lpg kits for conversions.
The most important thing is that you check the sequential system kits.
Besides sequential which is the best...there are Lambda control venturi and classic venturi systems.
Here is Lovato system for example:
http://www.lovatogas.com/php/eng/lpg_systems/
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS
dyn blin

Post by dyn blin »

That's interesting reading Misha. Thank you.