IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Fixing the little interior things... Drivers seat and seat belt, aux input and odds and ends Topic is solved

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

1bigklutz
Year and Model: 1995 850

Fixing the little interior things... Drivers seat and seat belt, aux input and odds and ends  Topic is solved

Post by 1bigklutz »

I know most of these 850's have some form of delamination on the door panels and leather surfaces and mine only has a little.. Any way to stop this? The dash pad is raised up a bit too.. In time is that hard to glue or get back down??

My main issue is the seat belt... I am a 5 ft 5 300 lb stocky man and the seat belt chokes the living crap out of me.. I was told the retractor is going out, but the passanger side is the same way.. Is this just a common volvo thing or ? Are the volvo's seat belts not fat boy friendly?

My second issue is the lumbar support knob got broken off and the seat heater has died... I use my seat heater alot for my arthritis as a heating pad while driving and the umbar support would be awesome as well.. Should i look for another seat (which maybe impossible in as good of shape as mine) or ? The seat heater is something i kinda need to keep me pain free

IS there a reliable kit to use the cd changer output as an aux input? Without me slicing wires

What is a good EASY replacement for the door speakers? SHould i just try and find junked ones or is there a good aftermarket kind to keep the factory radio

How hard is it to remove the manual climate control panel and replace the lights behind it

IS there a cabin air filter and if so where

Car other wise is rock solid.. AM amazed at how solid she is otherwise
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos

Re: Fixing the little interior things... Drivers seat and seat belt, aux input and odds and ends

Post by Ozark Lee »

The peeling on the dash around the airbag is pretty standard on all of them and sadly I haven't come up with a decent way to fix it. Although very rare you can occasionally find a decent cap at the pick-n-pull but out of a hundred or so trips to the boneyard I have found exactly one (out of the hundreds of cars) that was a bit better than the ones I have. For what its worth the beige caps the to age better than the charcoal caps and you can mix and match the colors and it actually looks fine.

The main problem with the seat heaters is typically the heating element but it can also be the thermostat. The seat back pad and the bottom pad are wired in series so it is a pain to track down. The heater pad can be changed but you need to remove the seat to do it. It isn't a monumental project and I did a writeup here:

viewtopic.php?t=9192

I think the lamps on the MCC can be changed without removing the panel. Removing the MCC panel is a royal pain but I seem to recall that the lamps can be accessed from behind the panel if you remove the radio. You need to have the radio code before removing the radio.

The cabin air filter was not standard equipment on the '95 but it can be added if it isn't already there. The cabin air intake is below the plastic panel just below and in front of the windshield and it is held in place with a few Torx screws. If the car does not have the filter you will need to buy a retrofit kit to replace the intake air snorkel.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
erikv11
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R

Re: Fixing the little interior things... Drivers seat and seat belt, aux input and odds and ends

Post by erikv11 »

1bigklutz wrote: … IS there a reliable kit to use the cd changer output as an aux input? Without me slicing wires …
I think there are others too, but these are good https://www.blitzsafe.com/catalog/1996-1997-c509.html
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 293k
'06 S60 R, 167k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 130k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k
crlande
Year and Model: 240DL;850;S70

Post by crlande »

Crutchfield will get you drop-in speakers and they give you the harness to make it a simple plug and play without cutting factory wires. Free lifetime tech help.
1bigklutz
Year and Model: 1995 850

Post by 1bigklutz »

Thanks.. Ill leave the dash cap alone.....

The speakers gotta get fixed, one is very badly blown..I love the simplistic factory head unit, so im gonna find a way to keep it..

Ok, i have 2 reciepts showing cabin air filter, ill have to go look tomorrow.. She was 86 and this seems to be a basic GLT with cold weather package on it

I will pull the radio tomorrow and look.. I do have the code.. its written in 6 places in the car (im not kidding)

I want my lumber fixed, so the seat may just get rebuilt and the heater pad fixed.. I dunno..If i find a good charcoal seat ill snab it

Thanks again for the help.. Almost 600 miles since Thursday on the Flying Brick... I love it