Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Another Rack and Pinion post

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

clarkS70glt
Year and Model: 1998 S70 GLT

Another Rack and Pinion post

Post by clarkS70glt »

1998 S70 GLT with 192,000 miles on it, bought it with 130,000 miles. One of the hard lines on the rack blew out due to rust, luckily it happened when I pulled in my driveway coming home from work, not so lucky for my driveway as it made a huge mess. I shut off the car immediately when I heard the first power steering moan as it dumped the majority of the fluid. Hopefully, since I shut it down quickly there will be no damage to any components.

I have researched this for the past two days and have decided to attempt replacing the hard lines with the rack in after reading the how to posted on the S60. I want to give this a shot first being the rack was working fine. If it does not go well, then I will replace the rack unit along with the high pressure hose and the return hose because they are rusty too and will not survive being disturbed.
clarkS70glt

Re: Another Rack and Pinion post

Post by clarkS70glt »

I started soaking the hard line nuts with Kroil and put a wrench on the first one that was easiest to access on the rack and after all the flakes fell off the line nut it is now smaller than it should be making it a size that is not metric or imperial. I am starting to wonder if it is worth my effort to keep wresting with these hard lines and make new ones to install even if it means saving money. I am not in any big hurry to get this done, but what is the best option here? Right now I can see that if I replace the rack and pinion I am going to have to replace the high pressure delivery hose along with the return hose. Of course, while I was looking things over I noticed that the transmission cooler line is wet to boot.

My internal struggle with this car is I am approaching that line in the dirt on how much more I am willing to fix. I don't mind working on cars, but I am growing tired of working on this particular one. My intent was to just replace the hard lines and try to sell it before the next repair presented itself. At this point it is too nice to scrap out and I feel that if I fix it that I have to keep driving to get my pay back for the repair, this and all the other repairs, thus never getting out of this cycle.

I guess that I am seeking opinions/guidance on this, good or bad.

Thanks
beigg
Year and Model: 850 97

Post by beigg »

The line isnt difficult if you lower the sub and grip the old fitting with all your might. Once free, the new line will spin in nicely. Use a stubby line wrench for the install.

Trans line, I'd leave it a lone until you've planned that repair out. Personally I'd aftermarket to an aux cooler and high pressure clamp/hose set. Bypassing the radiator cooler.
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge
sleddriver
Year and Model: 1998 V70 T5

Post by sleddriver »

Down here, rust isn't an issue. Beyond a soak & a torch, that's all I know to deal with it.

I've read accessing the rack lines is a major PITA without dropping the rear sub-frame. I've never successfully done it myself. However, IPD has a pdf with detailed photos when installing their front sway bar.

I too have a 98....... that I've owned since 11,000 mi. LOTS of work on her last year. I understand your frustration though I don't have to deal rust nor bitter cold as you do.
1998 V70 T5 226,808 miles. Original Owner.
M1 10W-30 HM
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Clark...can you access the lines and put in aflared extension piece to bridge the blowout? That might be easier than fussing with that nut? Watch out for that speed trap on 34 in town, but your Town Justice is real nice. :-)
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
clarkS70glt

Post by clarkS70glt »

I have been working on it slowly taking my time. I am cutting the lines at the nuts and I have the two out that were in the rack. Next I will be tackling the two on the pinion which I can get pretty good access to through the fender well.
Abscate... Yes, you must be careful driving on 34 through town in the 40mph zone and a couple other locations they like to sit. I am guessing that you had a meeting with the town justice for an award you received. :D
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

You can get great used parts at Erie VoVo in Utica , not too far from us.

I got lucky with a brash cop who kept interrupting my ticket fight, so the third time he did it the judge tossed it and scolded him on his manners.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary