IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

'04 C70 Convertible for sale but hearing crickets

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

850 LPT
Year and Model: 96' 850
United States of America
850 LPT

Re: '04 C70 Convertible for sale but hearing crickets

Post by 850 LPT » Mon May 08, 2017 7:37 am

I wouldn't sweat this too much.....yet.

The reason I'm saying this is that a lot of time it just requires a LOT of patience until the right buyer comes along. The thing for most people is that once they decide they want to sell their car, they want it gone "tomorrow". I have sold quite a few cars over the last couple of years and noticed that it can take quite while with an old Volvo. But the right buyer will come along eventually.

I always go on the very high side with my asking price, because you can always go down when someone is really interested in the car, not just a tire kicker, but a person who is specifically looking for what you want to sell. Think about it, first you search for the car you really want, with all the options you want, and then you think about the price, right. At least that's how I search. Even if the price is a little out of reach, I still consider the car, hoping the seller will come down into my range.

The last 3 Volvo's I sold never even made it to CL. Two of them were sold right here on this site, and another one through word of mouth (my mechanic bought that one for his son). To me CL is a waste of time and I would only post there if I'm absolutely desperate.

What buyers really appreciate is a brutally honest and VERY detailed ad with a ton of photos, that catches peoples attention. Once people know they can trust you, they are more likely to buy from you.

Good luck with your sale!
96' 850 sedan, base, auto, pewter/charcoal, 115k miles
99' S70, base, 5-speed manual, nautic blue/ tan, 213k miles
04' V70, auto, ash gold/ tan, 229k miles, daughters car
05' V70, 5-speed manual, loaded, mistral green/ tan, 146k miles
79' Ford Capri S, Euro Spec 2.8 V6, T9 5-speed manual
58' Porsche Diesel Junior
13' Honda Odyssey :oops:

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon May 08, 2017 7:56 am

Just a quick point - if you think your car is clean retail, it isn't.

Its clean retail if you are in the business and know what that means. Its 10 out of 100 cars of 2007- market on, and probably about 1 out of 200 of P80s and P2.

I was lucky to buy a clean retail car from Jim a couple years back - its the only clean retail car I have ever bought from a non-dealer in my life.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 am

cuhfs wrote: ↑
Sat May 06, 2017 4:38 pm
abscate wrote: ↑
Sat May 06, 2017 3:37 pm
Clean retail on a C70 Vert with 175000 miles (my guess) is $4000, so private party sale is $2000 or so.

Thats a nice car to dump for $2000, agreed. I would at least sell it to someone I liked or a relative.
Abscate, my car has 101,000 miles. Put a Trans in with 55k miles on it and put a rebuilt valve body on that low milage Trans. This car won't have the problems many have with the transmission. I would sell this to anyone and have a clear conscious. Since this post is about how to sell a car and not about the car itself I will spare you the list of many maintenance items using Volvo parts.

Back to trying to sell a car... but hearing crickets...

I may offer it on consignment to a local used car dealer to put on his lot (on consignment) since a dealers retail is more $ maybe they can make money and sell it... and the inventory does not cost them anything, Just an idea if I continue to get no looks and no offers. I could offer financing but thats crazy!
I can say from my point of view I wouldn't even think about calling a ad for a car where the owner stated "used transmission with new valve body, or used engine installed only XXX low mileage part" . I would automatically assume they now we're sick of dealing with a nightmare can of worms caused by God knows who installed it or the condition or year of the donor car being different causing some sort of issue not being identical to the 2004. The car in my eyes would be a true mileage unknown car as a major part of the power train is not 100K like the rest of the car. It is not the original transmission rebuilt with warranty, or better yet dealer installed new transmission. That is not a selling point or upgrade in my opinion to a non mechanic person. I am not knocking your car, but trying to give you a different point of view on what might be causing your car not getting calls. After all how many people spend the money to properly do a major repair to sell a car especially a 13 year old car? I'd say not many. Also I would wonder was the car abused, or just not maintained causing a major failure on a car with only 100K.

Maybe change your advertisement and banter to potential buyers how clean the car is and perfectly the car drives, rather than all the things replaced especially since the dealership did not do the repairs. Why you might ask I keep mentioning the dealership service, because at least in my mind as a potential buyer, proper new Volvo parts, installed correctly would more like be the case rather than spin the roulette wheel. Remember those reading you're ad did not have their "trusted" mechanic do the repair. You are basically saying "trust me" words a used car buyer never wants to hear. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:15 am

The Great Recession is long ago now. Everyone has credit or can get it no problem now. That means new cars move, and the used market prices get depressed. There are lots of used cars chasing few buyers.

I sold my 1996 BMW motorcycle 6 months ago and it was months of agony. Lowered price after lowered price. Some lookers, some lowballers. I gave it up for a near-lowball price after getting tired of the hassle of keeping it clean to show.

It's a great time to be a used car buyer, not seller.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

SonicAdventure
Year and Model: 1996 850 wagon
United States of America
SonicAdventure

Post by SonicAdventure » Mon May 08, 2017 10:22 am

Is there a way we can see the ad? I'm on CL all the time. If you can't post a link here, can you say what city CL the ad is listed on?

I can somewhat echo what's already been said; the convertible in that year range is just not going to be as popular as the wagons and sedans from that era, and a few years newer and then you are looking at the hardtop convertibles. My aunt owns a black hardtop convertible C70 and I don't think she will ever get rid of it. She likes it that much.

Have you considered ebay? That might make the sale more of a hassle because you have to pay to list it, and you might end up dealing with a distant buyer who wants to have the car shipped, or may have to travel to seal the deal, which can add time to the transaction.

The plus side of eBay is that you can filter who will be able to bid, and you will be casting a much wider net than just one regional CL city ad. My father sold his Triumph Spitfire on eBay a few years ago. The buyer ended up being in the same state as him, which made the transaction much easier. The buyer can and test drive the car after the auction closed. They were pleased with it, and within a day or so they sent a rollback down to pick it up and away it went. Not sure that is typical of an eBay sale, but I can speak from that one experience that it went well.

850 LPT
Year and Model: 96' 850
United States of America
850 LPT

Post by 850 LPT » Mon May 08, 2017 10:51 am

SonicAdventure wrote: ↑
Mon May 08, 2017 10:22 am
Is there a way we can see the ad? I'm on CL all the time. If you can't post a link here, can you say what city CL the ad is listed on?
Here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80957
96' 850 sedan, base, auto, pewter/charcoal, 115k miles
99' S70, base, 5-speed manual, nautic blue/ tan, 213k miles
04' V70, auto, ash gold/ tan, 229k miles, daughters car
05' V70, 5-speed manual, loaded, mistral green/ tan, 146k miles
79' Ford Capri S, Euro Spec 2.8 V6, T9 5-speed manual
58' Porsche Diesel Junior
13' Honda Odyssey :oops:

SonicAdventure
Year and Model: 1996 850 wagon
United States of America
SonicAdventure

Post by SonicAdventure » Mon May 08, 2017 4:45 pm

I looked at the ad and I also searched C70s in your north Jersey market.

I will say this: I don't think your listing photos are very flattering. I would look at the $4900 C70 for sale in Montvale in the same Craigslist your posting in. He's got 360 degree views of the car, and good shots of the interior. I would def. photo any part of your car that looks exceptionally clean, such as the backseat, or headliner (or whatever looks really good on your car). An engine photo might be helpful if it looks relatively clean in there. You don't say much in the ad, but some people post even less. Personally, I like to be as honest as possible, and make sure to say that I will not ship the car, and make sure you say you are totally willing to meet in a safe, secure public place to do the transaction. This makes people aware of the fact that you know doing business on CL can be risky and that you are a safety conscious person who is also respectful. I would mention in the ad that the buyer will get all the maintenance records with the transaction. I would also make sure you mention how many original keys will be included in the transaction. I would also mention something to the effect of how much you love the car, you're sad to see it go and you hope it goes to someone who will take care of it. All of these statements (if true) build credibility and rapport with the potential buyer.

Your car looks real nice and it sounds like it runs nice, but if I had between $3500 and $5000 to spend on a C70 in your area I would lean towards the silver w/ black interior one in Montvale. It has much less miles and for not much more than you are asking.

Another thing to consider is what your rock bottom price is. If it's $4000 just list it at $4000 and say FIRM in the ad. I think the idea of padding out the price in the CL world is kinda silly. If you get a guy who comes with $3800, are you going to turn him down? As the old saying goes, money talks...a guy with a fist full of cash and a desire to buy your car has a lot of power. You can always say no to anything less than your firm price, but that's something you have to decide.

I don't really understand the "executive convertible" market. I've never wanted one and probably never will have one. I like SUVs, wagons, trucks and small 4 cyl sports cars. I really couldn't be moved by anything else. I know there is a market for these ragtop C70s, but I honestly couldn't tell you what more to put in your pitch to make the car seem more appealing. Maybe some other users here who own or have owned these will have some more useful tips on how to create leverage that is model-specific.

Nice car, I wish you the best of luck with the sale.

cuhfs
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 850,XC70,XC90,S60
United States of America
cuhfs

Post by cuhfs » Mon May 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Lots of good stuff here from you all. Great reading it all! I was reluctant to post my "crickets issue" but I think the topic fleshed out a lot of interesting ideas and thoughts about selling our cars. From my standpoint, I will post more pics in the ads (including top down). Maybe post on ebay, I will wait for a few nice weather days and see if the phone rings... BUT - I will assume the used car market is soft as Matt suggests too. He makes a lot of sense. I can happily plan to keep it (instead of selling - if it does not sell in a few weeks...).

Honestly, I thought the car would sell so fast that the pics would not matter. LOL - live and learn. Also I tend to not be wordy and all full of sales talk and that's probably a mistake too. Thankfully the car is good so I don't mind keeping its just a totally un-needed extra - extra car for me. 8)

I bought the subject car for the engine because one of my other C70's skipped time due to a serp belt broke so I thought I would do an engine swap. In the end I decided to redo the head on the other car since this car was so nice I could not bring myself to cannibalize it.

FYI Robert DIY saw this car when he did his helper tour and he had helped me with the other C70 head. He has not seen clean seats like that in a long time he said... was probably garaged most of the cars life... Anyway - thanks again all!
95 850 Sedan Auto Trans
98 V70 Manual Trans
01 C70 Manual Trans
03 XC70 Auto
04 C70 Auto
06 XC90 Auto (ORE)
06 S80
12 S60
96 850 Wagon Manual Trans (parts car)

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon May 08, 2017 7:39 pm

I don't really understand the "executive convertible" market. I've never wanted one and probably never will have one. I like SUVs, wagons, trucks and small 4 cyl sports cars. I really couldn't be moved by anything else. I know there is a market for these ragtop C70s, but I honestly couldn't tell you what more to put in your pitch to make the car seem more appealing. Maybe some other users here who own or have owned these will have some more useful tips on how to create leverage that is model-specific.
Funny, as I was in this market way back in 2002. I had a 96 Saab convertible, and was driving it too much, with N kids, and realized if I rolled this car, I was dead. I woke up one morning and told SWMBO I have to sell it. She said - go buy a convertible with roll over protection.

At the time, that was Benz and Volvo - at about 50k.

Next week VW released the Beetle Convertible with rollover, a 180 HP 1.8 liter turbo, and 5 speed.

Its still in my driveway, with 50k miles and 15 years of smiles. My kids and my mother (92 years old) still drive it - best part is it gives me free oil.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 pm

cuhfs wrote: ↑
Mon May 08, 2017 6:57 pm

I bought the subject car for the engine because one of my other C70's skipped time due to a serp belt broke so I thought I would do an engine swap. In the end I decided to redo the head on the other car since this car was so nice I could not bring myself to cannibalize it.

FYI Robert DIY saw this car when he did his helper tour and he had helped me with the other C70 head. He has not seen clean seats like that in a long time he said... was probably garaged most of the cars life... Anyway - thanks again all!
I must say up front I prefer to order my cars exactly optioned the way I want it new so I really am not a used car person, especially since Volvo only requires crazy long oil changes making buying a used one to likely be full of sludge. The C70 down here was most popular among us middle aged ladies who lunch crowd which is why I chimed in. I had girlfriends who had them. I simply would never have thought of this reason for a car to get such work just to sell. I understand wanting to save a beautiful car, that makes complete sense to me, but not in your advertisement. My original point I was trying to make was to let the car sell itself being a clean example that drives perfectly rather than all the work you have done to it leading one to wonder why sell after all that? Mentioning how clean the interior is and paint, as well as how great it drives. All positive points and yes way more photos for sure. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned