IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Subframe bushings - has anybody tried

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

JimBee
Year and Model: 93 and 2 96 850's

Subframe bushings - has anybody tried

Post by JimBee »

A drop-spacer-and-push-out method?

Suppose you drop a corner of the subframe half an inch with the center bolt completely out (or the rear gusset removed). Then place a spacer ring between the top of the bushing and the bottom of the mating body-frame that it all connects to.

Then place on the underside of the bushing a sturdy ring of some kind that's just larger than the bottom of the bushing. Then jack up the ring, which will raise the subframe, forcing the bushing out through the ring beneath it. It might come through far enough to get hold of it with a T-Rex channel lock to wrench it out.

Would this work?
theWIFES_S70
Year and Model: 1998 S70 base

Re: Subframe bushings—has anybody tried

Post by theWIFES_S70 »

If you could machine the spacer to spec, I don't see why it shouldn't work. If you think about it as a control arm bushings, sure, it'd probably work. All you need is about a cm (maybe less) before you can wedge a screwdriver in there and pop em out.

But then, of course, you wouldn't have the fun of drilling, prying, burning, poking old bushings for hours...
1998 Volvo S70, N/A, 5-speed, 185K
2007 Volvo S40, 2.4i, 5-speed, 100K
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

As above, these really are big bushings, nothing like the control arm ones.. and the control arm ones are all but easy to press back in. You can still drill the bushing in several places until it falls from there, then saw the ring, but it's inserting the new bushing that's the whole problem. Really not doable with the subframe on the car.
JimBee

Post by JimBee »

So here are the bushings:
https://www.google.com/search?q=volvo+8 ... 8&oe=utf-8

With the old bushings removed, please help me understand why, maybe with a little vaseline, you couldn't jack the new bushings right into place?

Having not seen one out of the car, how far would the subframe corners need to drop to replace these?
theWIFES_S70
Year and Model: 1998 S70 base

Post by theWIFES_S70 »

JimBee wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 5:23 am
With the old bushings removed, please help me understand why, maybe with a little vaseline, you couldn't jack the new bushings right into place?

Having not seen one out of the car, how far would the subframe corners need to drop to replace these?
You can totally push them in. Pushing them in is the easy part! I wouldn't use vaseline though. Silicone spray or synthetic grease is probably better for the plastic and the rubber on the subframe bushing. You only need to drop the subframe about an inch to install a new bushing. Again, it's getting them out that blows. You have to drill, pick, poke, burn, cut and then pry the old ones out of there. Some will be easier than others. I had two that were pretty easy, when I removed the bolt the inside just fell out. I had a lot of success using a drill bit on my dremel, but that sent molten rubber flying everywhere and didn't feel nice when it landed all over my face. Luckily I found a faceshield.

Here's my write up of the procedure. Do yourself a favor and use Volvo bushings, doing this job two times in two months is not fun. Especially since the newer Proparts bushings will be harder to remove than the old ones!

viewtopic.php?t=77040
1998 Volvo S70, N/A, 5-speed, 185K
2007 Volvo S40, 2.4i, 5-speed, 100K
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Post by mrbrian200 »

Use a 2 part 6 or 12 hour epoxy as a lubricant to push them in, then let it cure before you drive the car. Volvo I believe has a TSB that advises against using any sort of grease/lubricants/oils as it can persist and you end up with the bushing moving/clunking around in the subframe as you drive.
JimBee

Post by JimBee »

mrbrian200 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:06 am Use a 2 part 6 or 12 hour epoxy as a lubricant to push them in, then let it cure before you drive the car. Volvo I believe has a TSB that advises against using any sort of grease/lubricants/oils as it can persist and you end up with the bushing moving/clunking around in the subframe as you drive.
The 2 part epoxy seems like a forever repair. Could you ever get them out again if needed?
Last edited by JimBee on Thu May 25, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimBee

Post by JimBee »

There's a lot more coverage of this topic than I thought. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences. Some good ideas. My suspensions are getting pretty clunky so am thinking about the most cost-effective repairs.

About the shorter lengths of new center bolts. Location of the thread lock suggests the part of the bolt that captures in the receiver is the same. But the longer original probably gets rusty north of the capture part creating a problem when you remove it (like the lower outside corners of the headlight bucket). If reusing the originals, would it be wise to cut them off to avoid that problem?
smacknab
Year and Model: 99 s70 NA Manual

Post by smacknab »

For anyone looking for tips while the subframe is on, I drilled up the plastic sidewall at 4 corners and it ate away at the material to relieve the pressure and they came right out. For the last one I used some grease (came with the IPD bushing kit with poly inserts) and screwed it in with the old bolt and a washer, with a 1/2 in extension between the frame and the subframe. With the grease it went right in straight with no problems, then I took the bolt back out and replaced with the fresh one.
99 s70 NA Manual - >223k miles
Mods: Accidental C70 Delta link, V70 Left Dog Leg