IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Fibers out my exhaust pipe. Muffler material?

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

FireFox31
Year and Model: 2000 V70 manual
United States of America
FireFox31

Fibers out my exhaust pipe. Muffler material?

Post by FireFox31 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 pm

My 2000 V70 grew a tail! I pulled over during a long drive and found a massive strand of fibers hanging out my tail pipe. It's seven feet long and is silver with patches of black and brown.
IMG_5415.JPG
Is this sound dampening material from my muffler? The muffler is OEM from a dealership, probably only six years old, and looks perfect. The exhaust sounds a little loud due to a breach in the cat pipe which I'm constantly trying to fix.

Is this any cause for concern? Do you think the dealership will honor a warranty return? I expected this exhaust to last a long long time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
FireFox31
2000 V70 manual, reborn

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Fibers out my exhaust pipe. Muffler material?

Post by abscate » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:31 am

That is bizarre. I'm sure they will stuff it back in on warranty.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

KrazyKrusty
Year and Model: 1995 855 gle B5252s
Been thanked: 0
Canada
KrazyKrusty

Post by KrazyKrusty » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 am

I've seen that before actually at work.
Twice on a pair of Volvo S60's around 2005, and a couple of times again on Buicks.
On the Volvo's we just pulled it out, although within a year or two they ended up replacing the muffler due to the Tailpipe/hanger sections breaking off. Then on the Buick's we had to replace the resonators because of the excessive noise, as it pretty much blew all the material out.
I'm pretty sure its just glass matting for sound absorption, No need for immediate concern I would say, unless you keep fishing it all out, then it will get rather noisy.

FireFox31
Year and Model: 2000 V70 manual
United States of America
FireFox31

Post by FireFox31 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:51 pm

The question is: What would cause my rear muffler to rot from the inside out, back to front?

Three months after this incident, my mechanic broke off the tailpipe where it connects to the rear muffler (happened when he put a vent hose on it to run the engine inside his garage). While replacing the rear muffler, I looked inside to learn it's basically a vented pipe with fiberglass matting all around it. On my old rear muffler, that venting screen had disintegrated, allowing the fiberglass to eject out the tailpipe.

I wonder if I could make a replacement screen to put in the rear muffler if/when the current one rots. Why replace the entire thing when it's just one little screen that fails.

Aside from my vent screen rusting, the back of the rear muffler (where it connected to the tailpipe) was the most rusted part of my exhaust. The metal and weld joints on the rest of the exhaust are fine. Thinking back, my tailpipe rusted off just three years ago. This OEM rear muffler only lasted three years!

Do you think there's something wrong with my exhaust gas which could be causing my rear muffler to fail? I'm running the original catalytic converter with 17 years and 268k miles. Three years ago, it gave me P0420 "catalyst underperforming", but I took some odd advice to add a gallon of lacquer thinner to a tank of gas to burn out any impurities. I never got the P0420 again, but my exhaust still smells a bit off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
FireFox31
2000 V70 manual, reborn

wizechatmgr
Year and Model: 1999 V70 XC AWD 2.4T
United States of America
wizechatmgr

Post by wizechatmgr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:27 am

Happens all the time to motorcycles - the fiberglass packing gets blown out. Nothing to worry about unless you don't like the additional noise.
Wisdom requires knowledge as a prerequisite, but knowledge can be developed due to a lack of wisdom.
In order to learn how to fix something, you must first learn how to break it.
1999 V70 XC AWD - ~187k miles