IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Coworker with a cheap Volvo I could possibly bring to life...

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

RyanGLT
Year and Model: '96 855 GLT (sold)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
RyanGLT

Re: Coworker with a cheap Volvo I could possibly bring to life...

Post by RyanGLT » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:54 pm

PeteB wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 am
My advice is to find a cheap car that is not known to need so much work as these Volvos
and that has cheap OEM parts available.
Also, find one with a timing chain rather than belt to save you that work/expense. All
of our cars except for the Volvo employ chains.
Mazda 3s, 323, Prelude are a good choice as are Ford Focus that use the same engine,
but there are others.
I'd rather work overtime and buy a better car than have one that is in constant need of
repair where the repair may or may not work.
That is sound advice, for sure. Those are all things I can tackle but of course can be problem areas, too. This car isn't just cheap because it's a pile of crap...cause it's really not. It was running and driving not that long ago and has become the extra car that stays parked and he just wants rid of it. He says other than needing maintenance items it runs and drives - it merely got parked because no one drives it anymore.

To be honest I don't really have money for this car OR any other nicer car. My credit is shot (thanks to the education I earned using student loans in a trade field not employing me in that field and subsequently ending up in a good job that doesn't pay well) so I can't go get a loan or afford a car payment. In a perfect world, I'll get my Corvair back together, sell it and have a couple grand I can use to buy something cheap and reliable like an older focus or Camry like my wife's or something. I have two kids so I've gotta be able to get them in it but other than that I really don't care what it is as long as it's in good shape.
'96 Volvo 855 GLT - sold :-(
Dreaming of owning a V70XC Turbo.....someday.
Corvair Fanatic too.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Coworker with a cheap Volvo I could possibly bring to life...

Post by abscate » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:05 am

You can run a Volvo cheap if you scramble for parts and avoid the big stuff with maintenance.

There is no other car forum like MVS where you get the expertise (PCE 😀 ) without the crap.

A lot of us pay stuff forward if you are tight and contribute your experience, even if it's just your learning experience.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary