IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Axle CV inner joint came loose by itself!

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

baxtex
Year and Model: Volvo S70 99
Been thanked: 0
Sweden
baxtex

Axle CV inner joint came loose by itself!

Post by baxtex » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:51 am

Axle CV
I really need some help here. I had bought a new wheel bearing for my front right wheel and so today I got to work. As you know, this job requires you to seperate the axle and the bearing itself to be able to replace it. When doing that, I noticed that the inner CV joint seemed kinda loose but I didn't think much about it, it should be able to move around, right? Anyhow I installed everything back and went for a test drive. After about 20 meters the right front wheel started making "clunking" noises. I noticed that the inner boot was busted so I rolled the car back into the garage. Removed the axle and the CV joint boots. While removing the inner boot, small balls fell out. After cleaing everything from grease, I could take a look at the joint. It looks undamaged, but for some reason I can't manage to put it back together, is it even possible? This is how it looks now after some tries I have concluded that this is the only way it fits:

In this way though, it won't move anyway but up and down a few millimeters. Sure I don't have any grease in it, but it should be able to move a little bit at least. So now I have a couple of questions:

*How do I repair this? Is it even possible?
*How the hell can the cv joint just split by itself?! Think if this happend during high speed!

theWIFES_S70
Year and Model: 1998 S70 base
Peru
theWIFES_S70

Re: Axle CV inner joint came loose by itself!

Post by theWIFES_S70 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:57 am

I don't know if there are any unique characteristics specific to the Volvo inner CV axle boot and joint, but Eric the Car Guy has a great breakdown of the inner joint and boot. As far as I'm aware, doesn't the clamp and the boot hold it (mostly) together?

Glad you're safe. This is some scary stuff...
1998 Volvo S70, N/A, 5-speed, 183K
2007 Volvo S40, 2.4i, 5-speed, 97K

baxtex
Sweden
baxtex

Post by baxtex » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:06 am

theWIFES_S70 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:57 am
I don't know if there are any unique characteristics specific to the Volvo inner CV axle boot and joint, but Eric the Car Guy has a great breakdown of the inner joint and boot. As far as I'm aware, doesn't the clamp and the boot hold it (mostly) together?

Glad you're safe. This is some scary stuff...
Hmm interesting. I did pull my axel back and forth and so if it that loose on Volvo cars aswell, no wonder it fell out! Just wonderinhg how to put it back together. :S

baxtex
Sweden
baxtex

Post by baxtex » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:06 am

Googled some more and managed to solve it! For future reference:

While repacing front shocks, mine came out aswell.
Here are some good videos how to do it.
Main thing here is do balls one in a time and slowly move cage and shaft around to get next ball in. Last ball is very tricky as almost all balls and ring have to come out more than half way. Very impotrant - short side of shaft sits opposite to long side of hub and so on 6 times. You can do it long to long side, but then cv joint wont move around, but sit in one position. Ford Mondeo uses same system. Good Luck!

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:08 am

The CV joint only goes back together one way, the " other way" isn't right

If it locks up you when you try to tip it through full range of motion it isn't right. If it is right, the balls fall out if you tip it too much. It's not hard to inure it out looking at it, it's even easier if you put a dimple punch mark on the face of the inner and outer race to align on reassembly.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary