IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

replaced climate unit, new symptoms - got another bad part?

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

eric.t
Year and Model: 1994 850 Turbo

replaced climate unit, new symptoms - got another bad part?

Post by eric.t »

94 850 Turbo, trying to fix the AC system. Please bear with me, kind of new to maintenance…

Recently replaced blower motor and resistor. ECC control unit failed on me about a month later. Got a used/warranted replacement, and AC is working great but now I’ve got a new problem.

Dampers will arbitrarily switch while driving….things will be normal, then AC/REC will flash and upper vent airflow will switch to lower vents. I never switch any of the fan or position settings to “auto”, and I’ve never had this problem with my old fried climate unit(s) so I’m kind of mystified…

Had some climate codes pre-swap (drivers side temp sensor, driver side damper), but many many more after the new unit…pretty much everywhere, including all 3 of the control selector knobs. Backlight bulbs also don’t light. However, it is powering on and AC is working so there’s a plus.

Basically this thing is either super defective or there’s something else very wrong. Highly rated ebay seller though. Only things I can think:

• Original part that came out was 9144256, new part is 9134820 (which was advertised as 9166550) . Looks identical, same connections, etc. I was told they’re interchangable/compatible for this year/model…anyone know otherwise?

• Any other electrical thing upstream that could cause bad craziness? Is there any kind of reset procedure I’m missing to unscramble the thing after a swap like this? (turned unit off, waited, disconnected battery, waited, swapped, let it sit, reconnected, let it sit, tried it…so shouldn’t have fried it or anything)

TL;DR
Is there any other part or issue that could cause ECC climate control and dampers to lose its mind after a swap when its NOT set to auto mode? Is there an install/reset procedure I’m missing? Trying to figure out if the new control unit is bad or whether my problem is somewhere else entirely.

Thanks for reading, appreciate any advice anyone has.
sleddriver
Year and Model: 1998 V70 T5

Re: replaced climate unit, new symptoms - got another bad part?

Post by sleddriver »

Research my previous threads on my ECC issues. Might find something that will help you there.
1998 V70 T5 226,808 miles. Original Owner.
M1 10W-30 HM
scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R

Re: replaced climate unit, new symptoms - got another bad part?

Post by scot850 »

There is a calibration process for the servo motors. I think it is in the handbook, if not do a search on here for it. I think the unit you have is defective and would contact the supplier. You can also verify the cross-over part numbers with a dealer parts department.

Neil.
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold