IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

A seafoam use that makes no sense but worked

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

ZionXIX
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo S/W
United States of America
ZionXIX

Re: A seafoam use that makes no sense but worked

Post by ZionXIX » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Just for the sake of clarity, the proper seafoam to use is the intake cleaner right? Not the fuel additive stuff.

wizechatmgr
Year and Model: 1999 V70 XC AWD 2.4T
United States of America
wizechatmgr

Post by wizechatmgr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:19 pm

I usually use the liquid in the can not the spray.

Dump half in the fuel, half in the crankcase. If you're really looking for improvements with blowby, take another can and remove all 5 spark plugs and pour it in to each cylinder in even proportions. Let it sit for several hours, then turn the crank by hand. Let it sit for a while longer. Then crank it over a couple times with the starter. Replace plugs and fire it up. You will have a white smoke event - it will clear...
Wisdom requires knowledge as a prerequisite, but knowledge can be developed due to a lack of wisdom.
In order to learn how to fix something, you must first learn how to break it.
1999 V70 XC AWD - ~187k miles

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:46 pm

It works. It is not a miracle tool, but it works. It can solve oil consumption if the oil rings are stuck, recover engine compression if the piston rings are slightly stuck. On my engine it corrected the engine pressure: at idle I was having a slightly positive crank pressure because of stuck piston compression rings. After the treatment (described below) I have good vacuum pressure (all PCV system being in good condition).

There are a few important tips.

These engines don't have the pistons perfectly vertical. On my P2 the engine is tilt about 10% towards the rear. Because of this, the top of the piston - and thus the rings - don't sit horizontal. For the treatment to work all around the ring(s), the car must be parked with the front diving on a about 10% incline - or just enough to have the top of the engine horizontal.

It is much better to do the treatment on a cold engine, and even better in a cold winter day. The pistons are in alloy and will shrink more so than the steel rings (except for the oil ring). This will increase a little the gap between the piston and the ring allowing the Sea Foam to penetrate into the ring grove better.

I would pour about 1/2 oz into each cylinder and leave it for 1-2 days, then turn the engine at the crank 1 turn and repeat.

The Sea Foam should slowly leak into both compression rings grooves down to the oil ring groove.

Change the oil and filter - better done just before an oil change.

PS Don't use any other fluid for this task, they risk damaging seals inside the engine.
aaaaa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.