IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Goodbye 98 V70

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Re: Goodbye 98 V70

Post by mrbrian200 »

j-dawg wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:26 pm It was the o-rings. Launching in cold weather, they could not seal between the sections in the SRBs. Some plumes escaped through the leak and started breaking stuff. It's visible in ground camera videos.
If I recall there was a little more to it (launch in cold weather should not have been a problem). I don't remember exactly. Either the o-ring was damaged/not properly fitted, and/or there was something about the assembly/inspection of that joint that should have caught the issue before launch but didn't. I don't think the o-ring was technically at fault. In simple terms somebodys didn't put it together right. And somebodys else whose job was to catch mistakes didn't catch it.
j-dawg
Year and Model: 1999 V70 T5

Post by j-dawg »

There may have been workmanship issues, but the material in the o-ring has been called out as a flight risk when launching in cold weather.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Boisjoly
1999 V70 T5 5-SPD | ~270k mi | burns more oil than gasoline
cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Post by cn90 »

- Ha, I had the same exact experience as the O.P.

- Back in 2012, I bought the 1998 S70 GLT with 145K miles for $2300. I spent another $2500 over the subsequent years to keep it up (suspension, brake, coolant hoses, heater core etc.). Virtually every "new" DIY I wrote in this forum is from that car!

- Around Feb. 2018 at 188K miles, the #3 cylinder burned a valve. I unplugged the injector and drove like a Honda Accord 4-banger.
Wife didn't like the way I drove (the vibration at idle) LOL...

- Then the Transmission lost the reverse in March 2018. All forward gears were fine. But I knew the trans is on the way out.

- This was a great car as I gave my kids good ride to HS and for the last 43K miles, it was not bad. It was the best and the worst car as the O.P. said...

- I just didn't have time/desire to tackle the #3 burned valve and the trans reverse issue.

- Finally traded it into a used car dealership for $300 (I should have given it to the refugee family that I sponsored but oh well...), and bought a 2004 V70 FWD 2.5T at 100K miles for $4300.

- Anyway, lessons learned, as much as I "enjoy" working on cars...I will not buy a used car with more than 100K miles any longer. It may be cheap, but the money/time/effort involved was too much.

- So go out an buy a Volvo 2.5T with < 100K miles and < $4500. Chances are you spend more time in the cockpit than under the car fixing it...

- Ciao....
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+
erikv11
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R

Post by erikv11 »

If it's the time and money of maintenance that bothers you, stick to the Honda and Toyota cars. My 98 Camry (owned since 2004) costs me on average like $20/year if you exclude periodic, routine wear items like filters, oil changes and tires, etc. Nothing breaks on that car, I think I've done an EGR solenoid and an injector that may be all. I replaced the shocks preventively at some point, out of boredom basically. In the end it will be rust that takes it down, the body is not rusting of course but since the suspension parts don't break they have never been apart and it is getting pretty bad under there.
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 293k
'06 S60 R, 167k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 130k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

cn90 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 pm - Anyway, lessons learned, as much as I "enjoy" working on cars...I will not buy a used car with more than 100K miles any longer. It may be cheap, but the money/time/effort involved was too much.

Same here, my 2003 S60 had 100K miles on it when bought. Spend quite some time/money. But I want it to drive in great condition (there are other people out there who don't repair until it's really broken). I also think the 2003 and up were better cars than Volvos prior to 2000. They got flays but at least if the pcv is serviced, the engine lasts forever and the transmission can be fixed with new solenoids to also last forever. I think Volvo did improve these cars with the P2 model. The body also has no rust issues.

When buying used the most important is how did the previous owner took care of the car. If you can find a car from an older person that had already repaired the big chunks at the main dealer then that is the gem.

But I agree that going Japanese may be a less hassle choice. The problem is that all Japanese cars had lots of troubles after 2000. Maybe Toyota a little less, but Honda and Subaru had their share of transmission problems along other stuff. Nissan quality is also a hit and miss, they had an ignition module going bad from Versa to Infinity, at $1500 a pop, among other issues including the cvt transmissions.
cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Post by cn90 »

Erik,

- You completely miss what I said.

- I still "enjoy" working on cars, ONLY IF it is justified.

- What is the point of buying a "$2K car" with 140K miles, then pump in $2K-$3K and time/effort/labor to bring it back to Stage Zero, only to end up at $4k-$5K, when one can go out and buy a $4K-$5K car that requires little work?

- I used to have a POS 2007 Honda Odyssey that made the Volvos look good. The Honda kept breaking one part after another. Then it was totaled in an accident. Glad the Honda is gone.

- Yeah, another 2001 Honda Odyssey trans went out at 50K!
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+
erikv11
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R

Post by erikv11 »

cn90 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 pm ...
- Anyway, lessons learned, as much as I "enjoy" working on cars...I will not buy a used car with more than 100K miles any longer. It may be cheap, but the money/time/effort involved was too much.
Honest mistake, looks like I took this too literally. And my comment wasn't really aimed at you or anyone in particular, just a general comment

If the Hondas have their crap cars too (I've actually never owned one), stick to Toyota! I know, this discussion goes around and around there are always exceptions, my general comment is that the upkeep on the Japanese cars can be much, much less than on the European makes.
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 293k
'06 S60 R, 167k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 130k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k
sleddriver
Year and Model: 1998 V70 T5

Post by sleddriver »

Gee Dad, I feel your pain. We do get quite attached to these cars given all the hands-on-time we have troubleshooting, then repairing often during our weekends off. Owner/Driver/Mechanic/Vehicle bond over time as the roles age and merge over the years. We remember the good times they hauled us & our families to fun events, the times their stability allowed us to swerve without a second thought to avoid a collision, and just how useful a wagon is in the sea of over-bloated SUVs populating the streets these days.

Since my long, extended 'repair-year', the sled has kindly given me back my weekends and graciously allowed me to return to fixing other items needing attention: Woodworking, yardwork, kayaking, audio & video equip. repair, the dishwasher.

I remember well your many posts, particularly the motor mounts and the dreaded PO-455. We shared some long conversations, public & private on those. On the later, I recently dropped my gas tank for the first time, lub'd both the fuel pump & tank level sensor cap gaskets + one or two small additional vent line gaskets. Result? The end of CEL's since. All of the other work had slowly pushed the dragon rearward, further into the dark, nether regions of the tankwork hoses. Only way to deal with that was to go in.

The sled was bought used but untitled from a dealer with 11 kmi in Aug. 1998. For some odd reason, the T5 never sold despite her good looks and the dealer was using her as a loaner. The factory date is Aug 1997. So this Aug will have her cross the 21 yr. old mark. Current mileage is about 228,000 mi. I remember being initially hesitant about buying a 'wagon' but glad I did. Amazing amount of stuff one can haul both inside & on top. I recently watched a college baseball game from the top of a nearby parking garage, by clamping a large piece of 3/4" BB ply onto the cross bars, then climbing up there to sit down and give my feet a rest from hours upon hours of standing up to see over the concrete sides. (Typical engineer problem-solving! EE here.)

I'm still curious about the autopsy report but understand you didn't want to go there.

The sled's oil o-rings are still original. For awhile I thought I was going to have to do that job until I finally realized it was the injectors, not the lifters, making the noise. I've only seen the oil light after an oil change. Fortunately......

How unfortunate and sad yours died as it did and left you stranded as a result. Most unfortunate. She sure didn't leave you much time to take any corrective action. I've never had a thrown rod on any motor period fortunately. That is ONE THING that hasn't happened!

Thank you for coming here to say goodbye, give final rites and express your appreciation. I appreciate that. I wish you, your family and new-to-you truck the best and a long life!
1998 V70 T5 226,808 miles. Original Owner.
M1 10W-30 HM
98v70dad
Year and Model: 98 V70

Post by 98v70dad »

erikv11 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:51 am If it's the time and money of maintenance that bothers you, stick to the Honda and Toyota cars. My 98 Camry (owned since 2004) costs me on average like $20/year if you exclude periodic, routine wear items like filters, oil changes and tires, etc. Nothing breaks on that car, I think I've done an EGR solenoid and an injector that may be all. I replaced the shocks preventively at some point, out of boredom basically. In the end it will be rust that takes it down, the body is not rusting of course but since the suspension parts don't break they have never been apart and it is getting pretty bad under there.
Yes, I know this. However, when your kid needs a car and the neighbor offers one up for a fraction of what its worth because they like your kid and your kid is dyslexic and needs to be driving a tank, you buy the volvo. I had a 96 camry I got rid of only because it smelled - the toyota's and most asian makes are super reliable.
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Post by mrbrian200 »

erikv11 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:03 pm If the Hondas have their crap cars too (I've actually never owned one), stick to Toyota! I know, this discussion goes around and around there are always exceptions, my general comment is that the upkeep on the Japanese cars can be much, much less than on the European makes.
One of the cars I initially had considered when I bought the S60 was a TL or fully loaded V6 Accord. They're basically the same thing with slightly different trim styling. Then I learned about the rotten transmissions Honda paired with the V6's in the year range I would have been looking at. Another contender was the Lexus ES 330, but again, in that year range (early-mid 2000s) their throttle by wire system had issues with responsiveness. Owners say sometimes when you press your foot on the gas pedal it can take 2 to 3 seconds for the engine to respond and there has never been a fix for it in either software or hardware. The small MBs from that era get atrocious fuel economy.
I know someone, a bartender, who somewhat recently bought one of those early 2000s small MB sedans. He can't afford to drive the thing and bought a beater VW Jetta for everyday. Sad.

Fortunately Volvo doesn't take the 'one drivetrain fits all' approach... You just have to educate yourself to know your preferences and shop specifically for the variant that fits your needs. In my case I wanted 'V6-like or better power' with decent (35mpg or higher) highway econ. The 2.5T FWD accomplishes both of those goals well beyond the expectations I had when I first started looking for a newer/nicer car.