IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

1999 XC70 102k Coolant loss, engine loss - options/discussion/

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Re: How did this happen?

Post by June » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:57 am

tryingbe wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:44 am
June wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:56 am

None of this is true. Look at the cost of a new engine from Volvo alone. I was ballpark quoted $12,000 to replace my T6 engine with a new one. The engine for my car is over$8000 new in box from Volvo. If you think that is bad the V8 is over $14,000.00 yes fourteen thousand dollars for the new box engine alone!

Add the new engine, heater core, labor and tax plus incidentals for $10,000 really is not bad. That new engine also comes with a lifetime warranty. I'll never understand the hatred for our cars dealers? It seems to me not all dealers are thieves! June
Consider the dealer ship never even bother giving out an used engine install quote, I stand by what I said, the $10000 quote was to get the custom out the door.
Sending customers out the door is not what they are in business for. Also consider this is one of their regular customers as stated by the OP down to 3,500 mile oil changes. The dealer will have to stand behind the work. A unknown used engine is gambling with the customer's money. I'll guess you don't utilize your Volvo dealer's services, therefore could not understand the quote. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

MEB
Year and Model: 1999 XC70 AWD wafon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MEB

Re: 1999 XC70 102k Coolant loss, engine loss - options/discussion/

Post by MEB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Not really. This 'quote' was from my service advisor of 19 years. He knew I wasn't going to repair the car. I just asked for a ballpark number.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:20 pm

Tough crowd here. Does anyone know where you can get good sharpie to draw tread on tires?
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

June
United States of America
June

Post by June » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:12 pm

abscate wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:20 pm
Tough crowd here. Does anyone know where you can get good sharpie to draw tread on tires?
Walmart, they also sell paint pens cheap to fix those pesky scratches! 🐺 June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1996 960 ordered

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:25 am

I don't hate all car dealers. But they should always be viewed as having (potential) ulterior motives.

Got a fresh 'dealer story' hot off the presses. Just a couple days ago. Close friend and his '15 Civic he bought new. Dealer (large volume Honda dealer in downtown Chicago) has mentioned his trans fluid is getting dirty and needs to be changed. Not due for a change by the OE specified service interval, would be out of pocket. Vehicle will loose the factory warranty soon. He asked me if there was a way to check the AT fluid level. I don't know. I popped the hood to see if there is a dipstick. Found a rubber inspection plug for the trans sitting on top of said transmission. The end of the plug that sticks into the trans was filthy with dirt and grime - it has been 'not installed in it's hole' for a very long time. Yeah I bet the fluid is dirty all right...
He's been going to that dealer for oil changes every 3000 miles since he bought it.

All these vehicle OEMs have 'brand protection' efforts. But they don't seem to pay enough attention to the one place where people's experiences can make or break that brand more than just about anywhere else: Dealer service.

June
United States of America
June

Post by June » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:07 am

mrbrian200 wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:25 am
I don't hate all car dealers. But they should always be viewed as having (potential) ulterior motives.

Got a fresh 'dealer story' hot off the presses. Just a couple days ago. Close friend and his '15 Civic he bought new. Dealer (large volume Honda dealer in downtown Chicago) has mentioned his trans fluid is getting dirty and needs to be changed. Not due for a change by the OE specified service interval, would be out of pocket. Vehicle will loose the factory warranty soon. He asked me if there was a way to check the AT fluid level. I don't know. I popped the hood to see if there is a dipstick. Found a rubber inspection plug for the trans sitting on top of said transmission. The end of the plug that sticks into the trans was filthy with dirt and grime - it has been 'not installed in it's hole' for a very long time. Yeah I bet the fluid is dirty all right...
He's been going to that dealer for oil changes every 3000 miles since he bought it.

All these vehicle OEMs have 'brand protection' efforts. But they don't seem to pay enough attention to the one place where people's experiences can make or break that brand more than just about anywhere else: Dealer service.
Well I have a family member who swears by Honda. Had a V6 Oddesy van that one month time wise out of warranty had the transmission dump. Loyal Honda drivers loyal service customers to that Washington DC dealer and a van with no mileage and with a known junk transmission. No help from Honda... they paid full boat for a replacement at that dealer and traded it in upon repair for a Accord and Piolet. Yes they were so stupid to buy two more junk new Honda cars immediately after being screwed by Honda at that dealership. Oh after a look online I mentioned to my cousin that Honda was having a known problem and the dealer admitted to the problem but Honda was offering nothing!

So I would venture to say Honda knows their customers aren't going anywhere but to buy another. Honda is a low end brand. Volvo is a high end brand and a company that cares about its customers and the two cannot be compared in my opinion. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1996 960 ordered

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:16 pm

Yeah I hear that regarding Honda. You've probably caught over the last couple years why I passed on the idea of a early-mid 2000s TL, before I started looking at Volvos. Absolutely rotten transmissions paired with the V6s on those Hondas between around ~'99-'07 that's a worse situation than the 4T65EV. I wouldn't doubt that Odyssey was one of them. They crap without warning leaving you stranded. Rebuilds often last 10k miles then crap out without warning again. Owners say you'll just be driving along with no sign of trouble, then out of nowhere trans starts slipping and within a mile or two it degrades stranded/car won't move.

I also forgot, there's more to that hot off the press friends Honda story. I drive that Civic once in awhile. More than a year ago he mentioned that his fuel econ had dropped noticeably, 4 or 5 mpg on the highway. Sometime later he flew out for vacation and I drove the car back from the airport. Within a couple miles on the drive back I keyed into an alignment issue. Last spring/summer in the span of a couple months he had it to not one, but TWO different Honda dealers (Feltcher downtown and another one further north in Highland park IL). Both said they checked the wheel alignment and it was 'fine'. Finally a few weeks ago he took my standing advice and dropped the car at an independent tire/alignment shop that I recommend. The rear wheels were (total) toe-in by more than a quarter inch with both sides sitting at about 1.5 degrees negative camber. The shop was able to correct the toe-in without him spending a bunch o money. He says it drives night and day better. I rode in it a couple days ago, I concur - much better. Not as smooth/nice as the Volvo, but it's a Civic..it never really compared. Two weeks later he says his evg econ is still ticking up but hasn't driven out of the city for anything to gauge the highway econ.

June
United States of America
June

Post by June » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:12 pm

mrbrian200 wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:16 pm
Yeah I hear that regarding Honda. You've probably caught over the last couple years why I passed on the idea of a early-mid 2000s TL, before I started looking at Volvos. Absolutely rotten transmissions paired with the V6s on those Hondas between around ~'99-'07 that's a worse situation than the 4T65EV. I wouldn't doubt that Odyssey was one of them. They crap without warning leaving you stranded. Rebuilds often last 10k miles then crap out without warning again. Owners say you'll just be driving along with no sign of trouble, then out of nowhere trans starts slipping and within a mile or two it degrades stranded/car won't move.

I also forgot, there's more to that hot off the press friends Honda story. I drive that Civic once in awhile. More than a year ago he mentioned that his fuel econ had dropped noticeably, 4 or 5 mpg on the highway. Sometime later he flew out for vacation and I drove the car back from the airport. Within a couple miles on the drive back I keyed into an alignment issue. Last spring/summer in the span of a couple months he had it to not one, but TWO different Honda dealers (Feltcher downtown and another one further north in Highland park IL). Both said they checked the wheel alignment and it was 'fine'. Finally a few weeks ago he took my standing advice and dropped the car at an independent tire/alignment shop that I recommend. The rear wheels were (total) toe-in by more than a quarter inch with both sides sitting at about 1.5 degrees negative camber. The shop was able to correct the toe-in without him spending a bunch o money. He says it drives night and day better. I rode in it a couple days ago, I concur - much better. Not as smooth/nice as the Volvo, but it's a Civic..it never really compared. Two weeks later he says his evg econ is still ticking up but hasn't driven out of the city for anything to gauge the highway econ.
My cousin who had the Odyssey had the transmission die without warning. You are right about that. She was in her 50's back then and the van was a grocery getter in North Patomic area of DC. If you aren't familiar, it's the Ritz area of DC. It can't be argued that the transmission overheated or abused. That area everything is right there and unlike me she drives like a grandma. The van was about the same year as my 04 and died at a few years old. My 4T65EV-GT never died or got sick in any way with 14 years and 159K of my hard driving. Good thing I didn't buy a Odyssey, it wouldn't have lasted 5K and Honda warranty would have hated me. :lol: maybe refused repair :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1996 960 ordered

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:19 am

Yes I've caught that the 4T65s tend to last much longer in the S80s but have more trouble in the XC90s with the only discernible differences being vehicle weight and the higher wind profile of the XC90. Under hard acceleration either vehicle would put about the same amount of stress on the transmission as power/stress under acceleration is determined by the engine power output with the T6 engine having identical specs on either vehicle. It might be reasonable to deduce that something about the extra weight while coasting (the transmission doesn't like being turned/torqued from the back end lacking engine power through the front) that the 4T65 doesn't like. This force would be higher in the XC90. And/or that extra few % of power being generated to overcome the higher wind/rolling resistance of the XC90 is just enough to push the trans over the edge heat wise so to speak. Seems like the sort of 'little things' design engineers might overlook/pass off as inconsequential. Take that plausible explanation with bag of salt. Auto trans design engineer/expert I am not.