IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Locking Gas Cap, Automatic Locking Action

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

MrAl
Year and Model: v70, 1998

Locking Gas Cap, Automatic Locking Action

Post by MrAl »

Hello there,

i was wondering if they make a locking gas cap that locks without needing the key, but needs the key only to open.
This would mean after you get gas you just put the cap back on and turn and it locks without needing the key.
Next time you go to the gas station, you have to use the key to open it as usual, but again do not need the key to lock it again after you get the gas.

I heard they make them, but was unable to find one for my 1998 v70 non turbo.
The real problem is that the writeups for these caps are not very descriptive so you can not tell if you need the key to lock or not from the advertisement.
I've checked several automobile stores online with no success.

Would you know who makes one, and where to get one?
Remember it has to lock by itself once turned, and only need the key to UNLOCK. I already have one that needs the key for both actions so i dont want that kind.

Thanks...
I’ve been driving a Volvo long before anyone ever paid me to drive one.
1998 v70 on the road since April 2nd, 2015
rspi
Year and Model: 850 T-5R Wagon

Re: Locking Gas Cap, Automatic Locking Action

Post by rspi »

Why would you want that hassle when the vehicle has a locking door?
'95 855 T-5R M, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red 25/32 mpg
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, 960's, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R YellowVolvo Repair Videos
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Its NJ. You need both a locking door and a locking cap.

(Thats an unfair poke at the Garden State, from whence come many fine folk, and Rick.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

rspi wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:27 am Why would you want that hassle when the vehicle has a locking door?
Hi,

Thanks for the reply Robert.
Just for an extra measure of security. The door latch mechanism is very skimpy and weak.
I dont mind unlocking it, but locking it up back again after gassing up is a pain.
I also think it is less condescending to the gas station attendant when the driver makes the extra effort to get out of the car to 'assist' in the operation, so i dont mind getting out of the vehicle. Yeah in the winter it's cold though :-)
I can also verify the dollar amount on the pump too and can note the gallons.
Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Post by Rattnalle »

MrAl wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 am
rspi wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:27 am Why would you want that hassle when the vehicle has a locking door?
Hi,

Just for an extra measure of security. The door latch mechanism is very skimpy and weak.
I dont mind unlocking it, but locking it up back again after gassing up is a pain.
I also think it is less condescending to the gas station attendant when the driver makes the extra effort to get out of the car to 'assist' in the operation, so i dont mind getting out of the vehicle. Yeah in the winter it's cold though :-)
Attendants..? Did you forget to change 19 to 20 in 2018?

Anyhow. Personally I'd much rather someone emptied my tank easily than broke open the door and a locking cap to get to the fuel destroying the car in the process. Or reaching underneath and poking a hole..

Last time I tried to empty the tank of one of my own cars there was a spiral in there so it was impossible to get a tube down anyway.
Sommerfeldt
Year and Model: 1996 850 T5

Post by Sommerfeldt »

So, as to your actual question, it doesn't seem that Volvo makes a gas cap that fits your description, at least not for your V70. Check out the accessories catalog here: https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb ... /all/L.H.D (click the "Complete Catalog" link for a .pdf).

Autozone has lockable gas caps, of course, but not one that behaves the way you describe, as far as I can tell. :)

- S
'96 855 T5, R bumper and spoiler, Koni Yellows & blue H&R springs all 'round.
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Rattnalle...we have a few states where it is mandatory to have your fuel dispensed by a “trained fuel distribution professional” I think in Manhattan you have this too, although getting fuel in Manhattan is a sign you really aren’t thinking too well
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Rattnalle wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:14 am
MrAl wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 am
Hi,

Attendants..? Did you forget to change 19 to 20 in 2018?

Anyhow. Personally I'd much rather someone emptied my tank easily than broke open the door and a locking cap to get to the fuel destroying the car in the process. Or reaching underneath and poking a hole..

Last time I tried to empty the tank of one of my own cars there was a spiral in there so it was impossible to get a tube down anyway.
Hello there,

if that was the only concern, then yes, you're right. But there is also a contamination issue. Someone can put something in the tube such as objects or liquids. They dont have to steal anything to cause damage
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Sommerfeldt wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:38 am So, as to your actual question, it doesn't seem that Volvo makes a gas cap that fits your description, at least not for your V70. Check out the accessories catalog here: https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb ... /all/L.H.D (click the "Complete Catalog" link for a .pdf).

Autozone has lockable gas caps, of course, but not one that behaves the way you describe, as far as I can tell. :)

- S
Hi,

Ok thanks. Someone told me you could get one, but they never said where so maybe they were wrong.
Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Post by Rattnalle »

abscate wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:28 am Rattnalle...we have a few states where it is mandatory to have your fuel dispensed by a “trained fuel distribution professional” I think in Manhattan you have this too, although getting fuel in Manhattan is a sign you really aren’t thinking too well
I know. It's something we joke about over here ;-)

Though I did actually encounter it in Italy last week. It's the first time ever though.