IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Mechanical Tensioner needle will not move

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Re: Mechanical Tensioner needle will not move

Post by abscate »

OK, take everything I said and ignore it.

I think most already have a script that does that automatically.

:roll: :roll:
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
99TurboBrick
Year and Model: 1999 S70 T5 Manual

Post by 99TurboBrick »

Hehe, no worries. I appreciate all of the attention my issue has received!
99TurboBrick

Post by 99TurboBrick »

abscate wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 pm OK, take everything I said and ignore it.

I think most already have a script that does that automatically.

:roll: :roll:
Well, now I have a new detail to add. I just took my new one off, and the cam did NOT spin freely at all. It is stuck at about 1 o'clock. Before I put it on it was free to move.

So, I put the tensioner back on the block, just lightly screwed it in, and took the allen wrench to it CCW. I heard an audible "click", and the cam became free again. So maybe the cam jams up when the tensioner is tightened down on to the block, and it takes some unjamming to get it loose again. Or, I broke something. :lol:
99TurboBrick

Post by 99TurboBrick »

An update on this thread. Thanks again to all for following!

I got a new INA tensioner from IPD. I still had issues adjusting it, as I experienced a lot of resistance when attempting to move the hex CCW. So, I helped the indicator needle move by using my finger to pull it to the right, while I moved the hex counter-clockwise with my left hand.

I then did the opposite to move it back to center (moved hex clockwise with one hand, while pushing indicator to the left with my other hand).

This seemed to be the only way to get the needle to move.

After this adjustment, I torqued the bolt to 15 ft lbs. The needle is accurate for the temperature, the belt rides on the pulleys centered perfectly, and the car runs great. Pushing on the belt moves the needle freely to the right, as it should, and upon release the needle moves back to center.

However, there is a slight shake of about 2mm left and right. Here is video of that. I may try the adjustment again to eliminate the shake. Some people here on MVS say some shaking is fine, but some say it should remain stable. I've probably read every thread there is on this tensioner. :lol:

I welcome your thoughts. Thank you!

Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos

Post by Ozark Lee »

That is within the realm of "Fairly Normal". There is a fuzz more modulation on the needle than I normally see but not enough to get me concerned. The needle dances around on all of them.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Ozark Lee wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:23 am That is within the realm of "Fairly Normal". There is a fuzz more modulation on the needle than I normally see but not enough to get me concerned. The needle dances around on all of them.

...Lee

I have already answered to TurboBrick on the video, but I would like to add my experience about the 'shake'. While I can't say it is a problem that needs be addressed, normally the needle would not shake. I have seen a few of them and were not shaking, while on one tensioner I did install with some difficulties, the needle was shaking. Again, not saying it's an important problem, but on the other side most tensioners will have the needle stable.

While there, from a few readings it start having the feeling the Ina tensioner may not be the easiest to adjust. Sure, the Ina bearings are top quality, but I wonder if this tensioner also has top quality spring mechanism. Not that it fails, but it seemed pretty hard to adjust for several people out there, new out of the box.