IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2000 v70xc 2.4T idle problem/power problem *long*

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

robbiewilso
Year and Model: V70 2000 XC SE

2000 v70xc 2.4T idle problem/power problem *long*

Post by robbiewilso »

had a stumbling idle and bog down with no power- wouldn't go above about 2200rpm. With the MAF sensor unplugged I got rid of the no power/bogging down issue but the idle would drop to nearly a stall- but it did it intermittently. I didn't think the MAF was the issue but I replaced it with new. No improvement. I found a vacuum leak-small hose that goes from the intake tube near the turbo to the front intake there is a white filter/valve that it goes to then to a T connector which goes to the intake and to a solenoid that mounts on the right side of the radiator- that solenoid has a second connector that connects to a harder plastic vacuum line that loops down under the rad fan to...somewhere. The test run after I replaced those several old,cracked,and in places crumbling hoses was successful and the stumbling idle and bog down was gone- also plugged the MAF sensor and cleared the CEL code I created by unplugging it. WELL on a second drive of about 10-15 minutes ALL the symptoms have returned- stumbling idle (intermittent) and no power. I checked the soft rubber intercooler tubes and could not find any leaks. I am considering a smoke test to try to find ANOTHER vacuum leak but I wanted to post to ask for advice from the smartest Volvo people out there! Thanks in advance for tips and tricks!
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos

Re: 2000 v70xc 2.4T idle problem/power problem *long*

Post by Ozark Lee »

Do you have VIDA and a DICE interface? Some real time data and the ability to reset everything might go a long way in finding the issue.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
robbiewilso

Post by robbiewilso »

no and... no. I have a cheap ODB code reader and that is all I have access to at the moment.
Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos

Post by Ozark Lee »

There are some learning modes on the ETM but they are only available via VIDA/DICE. A standard OBD-II reader, or even a fancy one, can't get to the functions.

The Stealership will have it as will many Volvo specialty shops but you can buy a Dice interface clone for typically less than the cost of a trip to the shop. I bought mine several years ago and I think it was around $150.00. We have a special subforum dedicated to VIDA and DICE and some of the more current threads might give you guidance on which version to buy - all clones are not equal. My guess is that the price has dropped since I bought mine as well.

The rub I am having is that VIDA really doesn't want to run on the newer versions of Internet Explorer but there are (were) links to a virtual machine that creates a working version of VIDA in the VIDA/DICE subforum that operates under just about any platform. It is a real PITA to set up but it is a working option.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
robbiewilso

Post by robbiewilso »

Cool I will look into that!
wizechatmgr
Year and Model: 1999 V70 XC AWD 2.4T

Post by wizechatmgr »

My suggestion would be to put the car on a charger, make sure all lights are turned off, turn the car to on, but do not start it.

Wait about a half hour, then turn off, then start car, see if problems persist. Sometimes the ETM can be a bastard and I found this cycle to work instead of needing VIDA to go and cycle the ETM via test mode. In my case there was a power down in the middle of an ETM test cycle that really made it unhappy...

Another possibility is one or more coil sticks went bad or their wire loom is caught under the cover and grounding out intermittently. When were the plugs last changed? How is compression overall and cylinder to cylinder?
Wisdom requires knowledge as a prerequisite, but knowledge can be developed due to a lack of wisdom.
In order to learn how to fix something, you must first learn how to break it.
1999 V70 XC AWD - ~193k miles
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

That vacuum leak you fixed was the evap purge system. It's complicated on a turbo car because the intake manifold can be at both vacuum or positive pressure, so instead of just programming the purge valve ( solenoid on radiator) to just pull they put two vacuum sources on it. Those white filter things are check valves, NLA.

turn the car off, remove key. Disconnect connector on the MAF. Test drive. If it drives better, you probably have an induction leak in the soft tubing. Turn car off and reconnect MAF. You can drive it wit the MAF disconnected locally, it will run a bit rich.

Smoke test will help find those pesky leaks. There is a big long vacuum hose under the intake manifold that can leak too, it's covered up so you have to smoke it to find it.

Turbo hoses won't smoke but they also will only cause bad running if the blue hose is destroyed, the rest are pressure hoses to the valve and wastegate
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
robbiewilso

Post by robbiewilso »

wizechatmgr wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:22 am My suggestion would be to put the car on a charger, make sure all lights are turned off, turn the car to on, but do not start it.

Wait about a half hour, then turn off, then start car, see if problems persist. Sometimes the ETM can be a bastard and I found this cycle to work instead of needing VIDA to go and cycle the ETM via test mode. In my case there was a power down in the middle of an ETM test cycle that really made it unhappy...

Another possibility is one or more coil sticks went bad or their wire loom is caught under the cover and grounding out intermittently. When were the plugs last changed? How is compression overall and cylinder to cylinder?
Can I get rough running without getting a misfire? I'm sure plugs could stand to be changed, but wouldn't I get at least a CEL from misfiring if it was happening often enough?
robbiewilso

Post by robbiewilso »

robbiewilso wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:43 pm
wizechatmgr wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:22 am My suggestion would be to put the car on a charger, make sure all lights are turned off, turn the car to on, but do not start it.

Can I get rough running without getting a misfire? I'm sure plugs could stand to be changed, but wouldn't I get at least a CEL from misfiring if it was happening often enough?
So this procedure will reset the ETM? Seems pretty simple and easy to try. I have a decent plug in car charger, so that's no biggee.
wizechatmgr
Year and Model: 1999 V70 XC AWD 2.4T

Post by wizechatmgr »

I'm not sure if it runs a diagnostic within it or not. I just know in my case it seemed like VIDA wasn't able to shake the issue so I tried this and it worked.

During the time I had the issue, it was running as if it was misfiring and generally stumbling. I've also had that experience with a bad alternator once the battery got low.
Wisdom requires knowledge as a prerequisite, but knowledge can be developed due to a lack of wisdom.
In order to learn how to fix something, you must first learn how to break it.
1999 V70 XC AWD - ~193k miles