IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

The How "Volvo" is your area? Fun poll

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1669
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 123 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: The How "Volvo" is your area? Fun poll

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am

abscate wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 am
That’s a single day, number of cars passing me on left going the other way that are NOT Volvo’s. I reset each time a Volvo passes me. Those numbers then tell me rough ratio of Volvo to losers....I mean, other brands
I see. Then it would be something like:
1
2
1
1
3
1
2
1

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1669
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 123 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: The How "Volvo" is you area? Fun poll

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:40 am

matthew1 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:38 am
A little off topic: I saw my first XC40 in the wild today. It looks fantastic. It's not for me, but it looks beautiful. It was blue.
I probably saw the first one just when it was released and didn't know what I'd seen because my mind thought "That looks like an XC90, but cheap. XC90s don't look cheap. What is it?".

Not a fan.

Also SUVs are stupid.

User avatar
mrbrian200
Posts: 1545
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 am
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
Location: Northern Indiana/Chicago
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 80 times
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: The How "Volvo" is your area? Fun poll

Post by mrbrian200 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:02 pm

If I exclude my sister in her XC90 I often go weeks without seeing another Volvo - small northern Indiana town pop roughly 6000 people. Including ours I guesstimate there to be no more 10-14 Volvos in and around town. There is no local dealer in the ADI (South Bend/Mishawaka/Elkhart). The local MB dealer does well from what I can tell - there are newer MBs everywhere in/around South Bend and even in my little town about 25 miles out. A Volvo dealership would probably be sustainable at the very least. If I happen to come across a few million dollars just laying around...

User avatar
erikv11
Posts: 9467
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
Location: Iowa
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 243 times
United States of America
erikv11

Re: The How "Volvo" is your area? Fun poll

Post by erikv11 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am
abscate wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 am
That’s a single day, number of cars passing me on left going the other way that are NOT Volvo’s. I reset each time a Volvo passes me. Those numbers then tell me rough ratio of Volvo to losers....I mean, other brands
I see. Then it would be something like:
1
2
1
1
3
1
2
1
abscate's counting method would look like this in Sweden
0
1
0
0
2
0
1
0
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 285k
'06 S60 R, 165k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 125k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

User avatar
raivis_rsn
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:24 am
Year and Model: V70 1999 TDI
Location: Latvia, Jekabpils
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Latvia
raivis_rsn

Re: The How “Volvo” is you area? Fun poll

Post by raivis_rsn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:29 am
As a Swede I'd never be able to keep count and still be able to drive. I'd need to have a co driver count for me. They're everywhere.
I've been in Sweden and this is absolutely true. They ARE everywhere! But most of them are up to 5 years old. Not so many P80 there because all of them come to poor Latvia. I've driven in a row of 3 random P80 V70 on the road in my town. :lol:

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1669
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 123 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: The How "Volvo" is your area? Fun poll

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:11 pm

erikv11 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:58 pm
Rattnalle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am
abscate wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 am
That’s a single day, number of cars passing me on left going the other way that are NOT Volvo’s. I reset each time a Volvo passes me. Those numbers then tell me rough ratio of Volvo to losers....I mean, other brands
I see. Then it would be something like:
1
2
1
1
3
1
2
1
abscate's counting method would look like this in Sweden
0
1
0
0
2
0
1
0
They only account for a bit less than half, not 80 % ;-)

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1669
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 123 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: The How “Volvo” is you area? Fun poll

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:13 pm

raivis_rsn wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm
Rattnalle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:29 am
As a Swede I'd never be able to keep count and still be able to drive. I'd need to have a co driver count for me. They're everywhere.
I've been in Sweden and this is absolutely true. They ARE everywhere! But most of them are up to 5 years old. Not so many P80 there because all of them come to poor Latvia. I've driven in a row of 3 random P80 V70 on the road in my town. :lol:
Depends on where you go. In the big cities ("big", we don't really have large cities) a lot of new cars, smaller towns and the countryside cars are a lot older on average, or cheaper new cars.

User avatar
raivis_rsn
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:24 am
Year and Model: V70 1999 TDI
Location: Latvia, Jekabpils
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Latvia
raivis_rsn

Re: The How “Volvo” is you area? Fun poll

Post by raivis_rsn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:13 pm
Depends on where you go. In the big cities ("big", we don't really have large cities) a lot of new cars, smaller towns and the countryside cars are a lot older on average, or cheaper new cars.
I was very close to Malmö and saw many 940 on the streets. I'm still not sure why they're loving 940 so much.

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1669
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 123 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: The How “Volvo” is you area? Fun poll

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 pm

raivis_rsn wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:19 pm
Rattnalle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:13 pm
Depends on where you go. In the big cities ("big", we don't really have large cities) a lot of new cars, smaller towns and the countryside cars are a lot older on average, or cheaper new cars.
I was very close to Malmö and saw many 940 on the streets. I'm still not sure why they're loving 940 so much.
It's "the last real Volvo" according to many. Swedish made through and through. Plus they actually last long time as well. I don't quite get it personally apart from the huge boot.

User avatar
BlackBart
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:03 pm
Year and Model: 2004 XC70 BlackBetty
Location: Montana
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 39 times
Sweden
BlackBart

Re: The How "Volvo" is your area? Fun poll

Post by BlackBart » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm

You know I live in a large square state with a bumpy edge, so I'm guessing our market share is quite low. The dealer here went away many years ago. However!...in a large college town like ours, there are an amazing number of old 240s running around in various states of ok. And there are many rusty relics parked on the street. I'm four blocks from the University however, so our data is skewed as they say!

I have a friend who bought a manual 244 new in CT and brought it here - still has it, looks new. I had a college student neighbor with a perfect 122 coupe. And now I'm seeing a lot of P2 wagons and quite a few P3 wagons in the neighborhood, as well as the herds of new Volvo suv's. I have not yet seen a V90 in the wild.

When we lived in the very Scandihoovian neighborhood of Ballard in Seattle (yah sure), we were not allowed to buy the house until we showed ownership of a 240 wagon. We counted 5 on our block alone.
ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon
2004 XC70 wagon BlackBetty
Is it time for a 1964 122 wagon?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post