IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Any clever tip to fix the trim panel under the steering wheel on an S70?

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

amblerman
Year and Model: 1999 s70
United States of America
amblerman

Re: Any clever tip to fix the trim panel under the steering wheel on an S70?

Post by amblerman » Fri May 24, 2019 1:09 pm

I went out last weekend to take pictures of my repairs and discovered two things.
1) The trim panel has the tabs on it and the dash has the loop. I thought it was the other way around.
2) I found that the screw hole on the panel was busted so I decided to repair it.

I initially wanted to take a picture of my older repair for the holes that accept the tabs. I originally thought the tabs were on the dash and the holes were on the trim panel. It's the opposite of that. Below are pictures of the hole repair I did over a year ago as well as my most recent repair.
I had hoped to provide a picture of the back of the dash hole but I couldn't take a good picture and I'm not taking my dash out for that. :D

Repair of dash holes for the trim panel tabs
In this photo you can see (yellow arrow) the fiberglass and ABS cement (black) that I put on back of the dash. This hole had been ripped in one corner and was letting the panel sag a bit. Using the procedure outlined below I layered on a few layers of fiberglass and once dry, cut out a bit so the tab would fit. It's much stronger now.
hole1.png
hole1.png (719.01 KiB) Viewed 69 times
When I did remove my trim panel I found the main screw hole to be broken.
hole2.png
hole2.png (568.57 KiB) Viewed 69 times
So I decided to repair it. I used the same fiberglass cloth + ABS cement method I used to repair my dash. However, I discovered that I had mistakenly ordered white ABS cement instead of black last time I bought it. I'd go with black but I didn't want to order any more at this time.

Step 1: Take off all the broken bits , pull back insulation felt, and clean plastic with alcohol.
hole3.png
hole3.png (553.17 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Step 2: Use some of the ABS cement to rebuild the plastic around the hole. At this point the repair is still too weak to hold anything
hole4.png
hole4.png (503.95 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Step 3: Cut some fiberglass cloth to fit.
fiber1.png
fiber1.png (778.92 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Step 4: Apply cement and then press cloth onto cement.. Once embedded in cement, use fingers (in gloves of course) to smooth it out and make sure the fiberglass is pressed in all the nooks and crannies. use your finger to smear cement on top of the fiberglass cloth so it's wet on both sides.
fiber2.png
fiber2.png (913.14 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Let the first layer dry (30 mins or so if nice weather) and then repeat with a few more layers. I used a total of three.

add an ant (optional).
fiber3.png
fiber3.png (900.98 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Step 5: Trim and drill a hole. I did this step after letting it dry overnight. It was rock hard at this point.
fiber4.png
fiber4.png (503.78 KiB) Viewed 69 times

Finished trim panel assembled. The screw hole is much more sturdy now.
finished.png
finished.png (247.94 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Oh I also took a random Volvo screw and stuck it here:
screw.png
screw.png (334.01 KiB) Viewed 69 times

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Re: Any clever tip to fix the trim panel under the steering wheel on an S70?

Post by MoVolvos » Sat May 25, 2019 11:21 pm

-

This is the fastest and easiest way to fix plastic that I've seen. Attached are couple of sloppy fixes on a rear passenger door sill molding. Was in a hurry and didn't think the Gel would work but the paper (envelope) absorbed it very quickly. This gentleman has a lot of tricks up his sleeve so carefully follow his instructions or it's glue on your fingers and the paper stuck to another part of the piece to be repaired :oops: .

Off Topic But Useful

Will have to figure out how to patch the big area but wanted to keep the rest intact for now.
Cracked Trim Repair 1a.jpg
Cracked Trim Repair 1b.jpg
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion