IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT **Update**

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Jvkeup
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 pm
Year and Model: Volvo 850 GLT Wagon
Location: Ohio
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Jvkeup

Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT **Update**

Post by Jvkeup » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Hey all,

Very bad situation here. My Volvo has been running great but today has lost all gears ( I mean all, not one engages)
I’ve had no CEL lights or limp mode up arrows. I’ve recently put a ton of work into this car including replacing transmission solenoid s1&s2. A few months after replacing those, I encountered a leaking radiator into my transmission. So I replaced the radiator, hose and flushed the transmission completely (Volvo OEM coolant) as well as did a complete coolant flush. Its been about 2-3 months since all that work was complete, it was driving like a dream but now is on its way via tow to a Volvo specialist. I’m completely stumped and hope this isn’t the end of my wagon.

Side notes:
•first thing to go was reverse and then drive.
•when I turn the car off for a little and turn back on I can get a little engagement in 1st gear but it is very clunky
•new audible noise similar to metal shimmering sound
•tranny fluid is at correct level
•coolant is good to go as well
•120k miles on the dash
•I don’t beat on this car
Last edited by Jvkeup on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
Kara503
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:07 pm
Year and Model: 1996 850 Plat R-Swap
Location: Oregon
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 2 times
United States of America
Kara503

Re: Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Post by Kara503 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:43 pm

My first thought is to suspect the transmission or torque converter is kaput if you hear a metal on metal noise.
Fret not! These transmissions are not expensive. I sourced one for my current 96 850 turbo 2 years ago for only $300, and that was one with 110k. Update when you hear back from the shop and keep in mind you can always use a blown transmission as an opportunity for a manual swap :)



User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 18171
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 647 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Post by abscate » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 pm

slow beating...

M56..... M56..... M56 ...


Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

Jvkeup
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 pm
Year and Model: Volvo 850 GLT Wagon
Location: Ohio
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Jvkeup

Re: Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Post by Jvkeup » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Kara503 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:43 pm
My first thought is to suspect the transmission or torque converter is kaput if you hear a metal on metal noise.
Fret not! These transmissions are not expensive. I sourced one for my current 96 850 turbo 2 years ago for only $300, and that was one with 110k. Update when you hear back from the shop and keep in mind you can always use a blown transmission as an opportunity for a manual swap :)
Thanks for the response! I will be reporting back as soon as I get an update. I've just put a good amount of money into this car getting it nice and road ready for long road trips etc, so this is a very big blow. Also, Ive always thought about manual swaps. what would it run for a Volvo specialist to do that? I don't feel confident enough to tackle that sort of thing yet.



User avatar
ZionXIX
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:47 pm
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo S/W
Location: Texas
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 33 times
United States of America
ZionXIX

Re: Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Post by ZionXIX » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 pm

abscate wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 pm
slow beating...

M56..... M56..... M56 ...
*the beat intesifies*

M56...M56...M56



User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 18171
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 647 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Post by abscate » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Jvkeup wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:27 pm
Kara503 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:43 pm
My first thought is to suspect the transmission or torque converter is kaput if you hear a metal on metal noise.
Fret not! These transmissions are not expensive. I sourced one for my current 96 850 turbo 2 years ago for only $300, and that was one with 110k. Update when you hear back from the shop and keep in mind you can always use a blown transmission as an opportunity for a manual swap :)
Thanks for the response! I will be reporting back as soon as I get an update. I've just put a good amount of money into this car getting it nice and road ready for long road trips etc, so this is a very big blow. Also, Ive always thought about manual swaps. what would it run for a Volvo specialist to do that? I don't feel confident enough to tackle that sort of thing yet.
I would guess 20 hours labour plus parts - so $2500-3000 all in


Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

User avatar
Clemens
Posts: 982
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:34 pm
Year and Model: 96 855 R + 94 855 T5
Location: Austria
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 35 times
Austria
Clemens

Re: Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Post by Clemens » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:33 am

This sucks, but if the car is in good overall condition and you have a clear culprit (ie tranny) think how littel car you might get for the 2500 bucks the M56 conversion will cost (or the grand for a used AT swap)


Summer: 1996 855 R
Winter: 1994 855 T5M
Donor: 1995 854 10V

Jvkeup
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 pm
Year and Model: Volvo 850 GLT Wagon
Location: Ohio
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Jvkeup

Re: Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Post by Jvkeup » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:46 am

Clemens wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:33 am
This sucks, but if the car is in good overall condition and you have a clear culprit (ie tranny) think how littel car you might get for the 2500 bucks the M56 conversion will cost (or the grand for a used AT swap)
still havent got any word back from the shop. Still so stumped on whats going on, being that i dont have dash lights on or anything. It drove perfectly fine on the highway 20 minutes before all this happened



polskamafia mjl
Posts: 2607
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:10 am
Year and Model: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R
Location: Hershey, PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Poland
polskamafia mjl

Re: Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Post by polskamafia mjl » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:35 am

Why did you replace the S1 and S2 solenoids in the first place and where did you source the solenoids from?


'All my money is gone and I have an old Volvo.' - Bamse's Turbo Underpants

Current: 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R Manual - Bringing it back from the brink of death
Previous: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT - Totaled

Jvkeup
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 pm
Year and Model: Volvo 850 GLT Wagon
Location: Ohio
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Jvkeup

Re: Lost all gears. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Post by Jvkeup » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:00 pm

polskamafia mjl wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:35 am
Why did you replace the S1 and S2 solenoids in the first place and where did you source the solenoids from?
I was dealing with the dreaded up arrow limp mode. Our first thought was the PNP, but after further investigation with a volvo specialist, we determined it was s1 and s2 from the codes we pulled. The shop i take it to uses only Volvo OEM parts or the closest equivalent. I don't have the paper work with me currently to see what exact brand they used.



Post Reply