IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Groan/catching sound while turning - mechanic says rubbing strut springs

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5

Re: Groan/catching sound while turning - mechanic says rubbing strut springs

Post by MoVolvos »

smacknab wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:43 pm Thanks for that analysis. I'll post back here when I check out the old suspension

After I inspected the motor mount I tried to make sure it was set in straight and torqued well. It seems like the sound is a little more quiet, but it could be a red herring
It's more work but when the mount went bad on my former 98 S70 T5 I tested by putting a rubber hose on the bottom (3) of the mount to see if the noise went away. If you like you can also wedge a hose cut in half to isolate the mount from moving (1 & 2). Since the noise is not obvious it might be worth a try even though the mount looks Ok.
Front Engine Mount.png
Front Engine Mount.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 126 times
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion
smacknab
Year and Model: 99 s70 NA Manual

Post by smacknab »

Hi again, sorry I've been busy with life and have just been living with the sound. But it's starting to get a bit embarrassing haha the noise is very loud in a parking garage.

Yesterday I had the car parallel to a curb and had my lady pull forward and backward left and right while I was crouched next to the right wheel. The spring and strut assembly do not torque, twist pop or anything else when pulling forward or reverse. I checked again and there's plenty of clearance from the strut spring to the body with the wheels straight, full lock or otherwise.

I'm starting to think it might be the CV axle. The outer boot is missing a band on the inner side of the axle so it's possible that water has gotten in or grease has gotten out? Again the sound only happens with the clutch engaged while turning, especially while accelerating. If I'm coasting through a turn with my foot off the gas it will make the sound but if I push the clutch pedal in it goes away. Is that a symptom of a bad CV axle? Or is the clutch engaged putting enough force to shift the control arm? Or even a subframe bushing?

That fact that the sound is so dependent on the clutch being engaged is leading me towards CV axle. It's been mostly fine driving, maybe a little squirly on the highway in windy conditions. The Volvo Indy that checked it out said a CV axle could shear at high speeds, which sounds dangerous so I'm trying recommit myself to solving the issue.
99 s70 NA Manual - >223k miles
Mods: Accidental C70 Delta link, V70 Left Dog Leg
smacknab
Year and Model: 99 s70 NA Manual

Post by smacknab »

Update: it was just the CV Axle, replaced and sound is gone
99 s70 NA Manual - >223k miles
Mods: Accidental C70 Delta link, V70 Left Dog Leg