IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Marking "Topic Solved" is functional again. It's the green check next to your post. BTW, please do use this when your question is answered and verified. Thanks!
MVS-Amazon link helps MVS!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Mod mods (modernization modifications) for your car

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

CIK7
Year and Model: 1996 960 Saloon

Mod mods (modernization modifications) for your car

Post by CIK7 »

Do you agree that your Volvo could use some SPICE? Some modern touches perhaps? WELL NOW, just like the EDC video I released, this video may give you ideas! LEDs, USBs? Yes please! LOL! Presenting my modern 1996 Volvo.
Attachments
Button for under-hood LED lights
Button for under-hood LED lights
Last edited by CIK7 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1996 960 Saloon (2nd owner, Mi:140205, The Cloud)
1998 V70 XC black (Mi:143,995/151K, The Storm)
1998 V70 XC white ($50, junk, getting crushed soon)

Plans for The Storm: universal enclosed trailer with original fusebox and unique climate control system.
ZionXIX
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo S/W

Re: Mod mods (modernization modifications) for your car

Post by ZionXIX »

Well you certainly won't have any issues finding stuff in the dark.
Cookeh
Year and Model: 1996 Volvo 850 T5

Post by Cookeh »

Why not just replace the halogen bulbs inthe holders with LEDs? Then you get your brighter whiter light without the tacky (subjectively) strips with cables floating around everywhere.

USBs are solved with a cigarette lighter adapter that almost looks OE. Rear USBs isn't a bad idea and looks like a fairly tidy installation.

I also like the idea of under-bonnet lighting (preferably switched by the bonnet lever), it would be more convenient than the head torch I currently use.

Personally I have upgraded all the interior halogens to warm white LEDs, have a twin USB adaptor in the front cigarette lighter, auto-up/down on the front windows, a USB/mp3/bluetooth adapter plugged into the CD port of ky headunit, and LEDs on the reverse lights. Reversing down unlit single carriageway Welsh roads at night necessitates this.

I am toying with the idea of upgrading the interior speakers (maintaining the same size), and now with a under-bonnet LED.
cxf
Year and Model: 1996 850T

Post by cxf »

To each his own.
yanga001
Year and Model: 1998 v70 N/A

Post by yanga001 »

My new v70 came with a kenwood head unit which solved 75% of my requirements. Put a small compass in the car (i am directionless) and added a 150W inverter to it. Only other creature comfort was swapping the driver seat to a powered version so i could actually adjust the seat on the road.

Lighting wise, used a projector retrofit with many hours of testing to ensure im not blinding other drivers.
1998 S70 N/A Auto (Parts car)
1998 V70 N/A Auto New Daily
1998 V70 N/A Auto (Workhorse) (Tree to driver B pillar :( )
1999 S70 T5 Auto(Project)
2000 S70 SE M Learning platform
CIK7

Post by CIK7 »

Cookeh wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:27 am Why not just replace the halogen bulbs inthe holders with LEDs? Then you get your brighter whiter light without the tacky (subjectively) strips with cables floating around everywhere.

USBs are solved with a cigarette lighter adapter that almost looks OE. Rear USBs isn't a bad idea and looks like a fairly tidy installation.

I also like the idea of under-bonnet lighting (preferably switched by the bonnet lever), it would be more convenient than the head torch I currently use.

Personally I have upgraded all the interior halogens to warm white LEDs, have a twin USB adaptor in the front cigarette lighter, auto-up/down on the front windows, a USB/mp3/bluetooth adapter plugged into the CD port of ky headunit, and LEDs on the reverse lights. Reversing down unlit single carriageway Welsh roads at night necessitates this.

I am toying with the idea of upgrading the interior speakers (maintaining the same size), and now with a under-bonnet LED.
Thank you for the specified feedback!
What do you mean 'holders'?
Yes I think the wires add just a tidbit of tackiness, it doesn't look as clean. I don't think the LED bulbs would provide enough coverage though. This way I have a lot more coverage of the front, aisle, and back.
I use to use a 4 port charger that had 1 QC 3.0 port but I didnt like the risk of shorting the socket and starting a fire. I don't know what you mean by USB adapter. I think these usb sockets have a clean look though. I really like the on/off touch feature.
When I would get under the hood at night there are 2 flashlight types I have. The cheap magnetic ones with the plastic hook and the Cree torch lights with green rubber button. Either I would hold the flashlight hook in my mouth, hook it on the hood latch or hold the end of the Cree flashlight in my mouth. I'd be drooling and stressing my mouth muscles.
I can not stand those bluetooth mp3 adapters. They are bad imo. In my XC, plugging in the 12v bt adapter would start an unending slight squeal, so even with the best music there would be a squeal.
Yes as I said before, the 960 sound system is beyond amazing. Its to the degree of a modern aftermarket system with quality highs and a nice subwoofer in it. It's that good.
Under-hood LEDs? GO FOR IT! You might find an easier way to install but I did a completely custom job on it, took me about...2-3 hours from taping them on and wiring to sticking them on and hooking up the power and switch. By the way, I JUST updated my post with a pic of the switch. I used a step bit to drill in the factory switch blank for the power switch. I'm gonna check if I can put a factory one in.

Plans for The Storm: universal enclosed trailer with original fusebox and unique climate control system.
CIK7

Post by CIK7 »

yanga001 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:38 am My new v70 came with a kenwood head unit which solved 75% of my requirements. Put a small compass in the car (i am directionless) and added a 150W inverter to it. Only other creature comfort was swapping the driver seat to a powered version so i could actually adjust the seat on the road.

Lighting wise, used a projector retrofit with many hours of testing to ensure im not blinding other drivers.
Yes as I've told everybody else, my stereo is extremely high quality, like the sound of a high end aftermarket system with awesome highs and a powerful subwoofer.
I need to find a decent inverter because I'm going to be installing a PA (public announcement) system within the next month. What brand did you use?
You seem to like those NA s70 models. Since I got my XC, I have wanted to go from a power seat to a manual seat. Is your manual driver seat cloth or leather?

Cookeh
Year and Model: 1996 Volvo 850 T5

Post by Cookeh »

CIK7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 am
Thank you for the specified feedback!
What do you mean 'holders'? Yes I think the wires add just a tidbit of tackiness, it doesn't look as clean. I don't think the LED bulbs would provide enough coverage though. This way I have a lot more coverage of the front, aisle, and back.
I just mean the OE lights, basically, so what the normal halogens go in. When going for LED bulbs I also wondered how much of a difference it would make, but it was significant enough for me to actually buy lower wattage-rated LEDs as they were too bright! Cable wise, a lot of it could probably be routed behind trims, with enough time spent.
CIK7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 amI use to use a 4 port charger that had 1 QC 3.0 port but I didnt like the risk of shorting the socket and starting a fire. I don't know what you mean by USB adapter. I think these usb sockets have a clean look though. I really like the on/off touch feature.
I mean this sort of thing. For the rear what you have done is a good approach, for sure.
CIK7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 amWhen I would get under the hood at night there are 2 flashlight types I have. The cheap magnetic ones with the plastic hook and the Cree torch lights with green rubber button. Either I would hold the flashlight hook in my mouth, hook it on the hood latch or hold the end of the Cree flashlight in my mouth. I'd be drooling and stressing my mouth muscles.
Yep, that certainly sounds familiar...! Luckily only happened once though.
CIK7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 amI can not stand those bluetooth mp3 adapters. They are bad imo. In my XC, plugging in the 12v bt adapter would start an unending slight squeal, so even with the best music there would be a squeal.
I too am somewhat of an audiophile. I don't mean the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter and uses FM radio for transmission - they are, as you say, garbage. I have a usb/bluetooth/mp3 adapter that takes the place of the CD multichanger, and plugs into the same port.
CIK7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 amYes as I said before, the 960 sound system is beyond amazing. Its to the degree of a modern aftermarket system with quality highs and a nice subwoofer in it. It's that good.
I think the 850 ones were very good new. Now, however, I suspect both magnets and cones have degraded over time.
CIK7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 amUnder-hood LEDs? GO FOR IT! You might find an easier way to install but I did a completely custom job on it, took me about...2-3 hours from taping them on and wiring to sticking them on and hooking up the power and switch. By the way, I JUST updated my post with a pic of the switch. I used a step bit to drill in the factory switch blank for the power switch. I'm gonna check if I can put a factory one in.
Thanks for that, definitely makes sense having them switched. Im toying with the idea of buying a foglight switch and printing a new sticker (to cover the fog light symbol) - for the ultimate OE look.
CIK7

Post by CIK7 »

Cookeh wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 am I mean this sort of thing. For the rear what you have done is a good approach, for sure.
Back when I bought 2 Anker Roav dashcams, each came with an adapter identical to that.
Cookeh wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 am I too am somewhat of an audiophile. I don't mean the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter and uses FM radio for transmission - they are, as you say, garbage. I have a usb/bluetooth/mp3 adapter that takes the place of the CD multichanger, and plugs into the same port.
Can you please show me what you are talking about? The port and adapter? Oh are you talking about a GROM? I saw a pic of a WEP®A device connected on a P2 car radio. Similar to GROM but idk where those devices connect to.
Cookeh wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 am I think the 850 ones were very good new. Now, however, I suspect both magnets and cones have degraded over time.
Interesting! Maybe Dolby slacked on quality/durability for the P80s?!
Cookeh wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 am Thanks for that, definitely makes sense having them switched. Im toying with the idea of buying a foglight switch and printing a new sticker (to cover the fog light symbol) - for the ultimate OE look.
I looked through my XC part bin and unfortunately cant find a 3 wired switch. The XC switches are gray anyway, while the 960 and Chinese switches are black. I'm keeping the black switches.
Last edited by CIK7 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck W
Year and Model: 97 854 T5

Post by Chuck W »

CIK7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:37 pm
I did my best to put in quotes, hope it works. Edit: nope the quoting didn't work. I'm sorry. I've tried it before and failed; it's difficult.
You're missing the "[" at in front of the tag.
'97 854 T5 - Manual Swap, M4.4,COP, P2R Brakes, 16T, chassis bracing, XC70 nose swap
'97 855 GLT - Hers. RN swap/16T/exhaust/302s/Flashable M4.4, chassis bracing, 2 kid seats
'78 GLE - Waiting in the wings. Future whiteblock/T5 swap.