MVS Moderator donation week is here! Show the moderators you appreciate their help.
IPD sale Volvo Parts

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 Purge Valve under Intake Manifold Replacement P0496 P0497 Codes

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ryanblueshoes
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo XC 90 T6
United States of America

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 Purge Valve under Intake Manifold Replacement P0496 P0497 Codes

Post by ryanblueshoes » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Hey guys,

I have read around this and other forums trying to find an answer to my question and haven't had exact luck. I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 that I gave to my mom in 2014 and now she has given it back to me (in California). The check engine light was on when she drove it here and it had the codes P0497 and P0496. I cleared the codes and drove for a while and then checked the drive cycle, the code P0496 was in the background but was not causing the CEL to turn on but then a few days later the CEL light went on with a P0497 code.

I have read that both of these codes have to do with the Purge Valve. After researching it looks like there are TWO purge valves, one on the top next to the air filter (easily accessible) and the other is under the intake manifold. I took the car to a garage and they did a smoke check, the one on top seemed to be fine but smoke was coming from the PV under the intake manifold. I was given a quote of 600 to replace this and the hoses that were worn and cracked. The reason the quote is so high is because he said he would have to remove the intake manifold to replace the purge valve.

I have seen many people on multiple forums talk about replacing this part but nobody says whether it's this tough a repair. My question is this:

What is the method (easiest) for replacing this purge valve and the hoses? Should the intake manifold have to be removed and if it does, does it take 3 hours like he is telling me or is there an easier way?

I appreciate your help. I am trying to smog this vehicle and am already past my 30 day free I get from the DMV. What a nightmare lol.

Ryan

Tags:

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Re: 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 Purge Valve under Intake Manifold Replacement P0496 P0497 Codes

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:39 am

Two things - First if you decide to have the shop do the purge valve you should do the entire PCV system. Once the intake is off all the parts are right there and it shouldn't add an hour of work.

How many miles?

Second, while chasing an overboost condition on my 2004 XC90 T6 I changed all of the hoses related to that purge valve by removing the airbox and some of the top plumbing (maybe the radiator fan - I like doing this as it creates a ton of space and is not very difficult). I did not have to take off the intake. I am pretty sure one could do it without taking off all the parts I did, but I was going through every hose so I wanted a good look.

If we are talking about the same purge valve, it hooks to one of the runners off the airbox (two hoses there, one big and one small) and sits near the starter. I removed the entire unit and went to the local parts store and sourced regular oil resistant hose. I think I was in and out for under $10 in hoses. I have a collection of clamps, so that will add to the cost. All said and done I spent more time going shopping and eating lunch than I did changing out the hoses. One end of the purge valve has a plastic squeeze fitting - I did not change that hose - so if that is your problem the mechanic may be right as I don't recall where it went.

You really need to just go out and look and stick your hands in there. A flashlight and mirror would help. You will have to take off at least the intake snorkel that has two 10mm bolts on the radiator support and then goes into the airbox. That should enable you to get a good look and feel. Most likely your hoses are aged and cracking and that is causing the leak.

The other purge valve, like you said is easy. I think mine went out around 90k miles.

ryanblueshoes
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo XC 90 T6
United States of America

Re: 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 Purge Valve under Intake Manifold Replacement P0496 P0497 Codes

Post by ryanblueshoes » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:54 am

Mine has 174K. When you say the "entire PCV system" what exactly are you talking about? The valve and the clamp? Here is an image from another thread on the top. Which parts do you suggest I change? Image I believe the mechanic is telling me that #4 is the bad part (or at least the hoses going to that part are faulty).

What is that part called, if I went to Rock Auto or Autozone, what would I be asking for? And what else do I ask for?

Thank you so much for your help.

Ryan

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Man not looking good. Here are the part numbers I come up with: 8687956 and 30774518. It is called a "Detection Pump". I am basing this from your picture - then going into various Volvo stores and looking up their diagrams for your year. Trying it in VIDA didn't help.

Running the part numbers pulls up some pictures that look like the part (on my car) and some that do not. Plus some sites say the part is no longer available.

Best thing to do is get in there and pull the part out and look for a part number. I think your problem is the hoses as mine was in great condition and I have 155k or so on my car. My hoses were starting to fall apart, but not to the point of cracking or leaking.

You need to be careful here as I have ordered parts from Volvo stores and what showed up did not look like what I had in my car. Not sure why just telling you that part in hand with actual numbers trumps any microfiche diagram.