Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

Possibly buying a T6 R-Design, but I have questions.

A mid-size luxury crossover SUV, the Volvo XC90 made its debut in 2002 at the Detroit Motor Show. Recognized for its safety, practicality, and comfort, the XC90 is a popular vehicle around the world. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
bronson75
Year and Model: 1999 V70XC

Possibly buying a T6 R-Design, but I have questions.

Post by bronson75 »

Greetings.
It's been a while since I've posted here, but I need some insight from some folks.
We bought an '05 T5 a number of years ago, and even with 210,000 in the clock, it was still going strong, up until Mother's Day morning, when a drunk driver decided it would be a great idea to blow a stop sign and T bone my wife. Wife is ok (slightly stiff and sore, otherwise undamaged), but the car isn't. We found out it's being totaled.

She loved her XC, and is shopping for another one. When we bought the first one, I shied away from the T6 because of the well-documented issues with the transmission.

Fast forward to now, and we've found a very nice 2010 T6 R-Design locally. We went to go drive it, and it's in very good condition. The owners bought it near-new in 2011, it's too big for their current needs, so they're downsizing to a newer XC60.

My question is, did the issues with the T6 transmission get solved (I know they were a problem with '05-'06 models), or is it still wise to skip the T6 all-together? The transmission shifted fine, but had a odd noise just before it made a gear change (slight grindy-noise, maybe?). The owner said they haven't had any problems with it at all. Any problems specific to the T6 in general?

The R-Design package is pretty baller, the interior, wheels and body cladding really add some pop to the design of the Mk1 XC90, but is there anything specific I should be aware of?

ggleavitt
Year and Model: 06,08 XC90 V8

Post by ggleavitt »

The 2.9l I6 twin turbo T6 (B6294T) gets retired after 2006, replaced by a 3.2 I6 normally aspirated engine (B6324S). After MY2011 the engine changes slightly and is known as the B6324S5.

Transmission issue is specific to the 2.9l T6 engine, Volvo used a modified 4-speed General Motors 465EV-GT transmission to get everything to fit under the hood. By the time the 3.2 shows up it's replaced by the Aisin Warner TF-80SC which, with the exception of pre-07 valve body wear issues, has proven to be reasonably reliable.

XC90 Sport came only as V8 in 07-08 then name was changed to R-Design (R-D) and the 3.2 was offered along with the V8 until that motor was retired in 2011. Sport/R-D has a number of cosmetic changes plus a different speed sensitive steering module and suspension components (sport). It's a good looking vehicle and handles well.

Grindy noise on shifting might be the torque rod on the passenger side of the motor. See if this video is in any way similar to your symptoms-

I would give the mount a wiggle just under the cover regardless to see if it's loose. If it moves to any appreciably degree, it's broken.
2006 V8 AWD Ocean Race-138k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-137k

bronson75

Post by bronson75 »

Thanks for the input! I though all the 6s were turbo'd, now I know better.
I'll definitely check out the torque mount, we've put a deposit down to hold it for us (still waiting on the police report, insurance, etc) until we make a decision. I've been in contact with a local dealer inquiring about a PPI before we commit to it, but I'll do some closer inspection on my own the next time we go look at it.
Last edited by bronson75 on Tue May 18, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bronson75

Post by bronson75 »

I just watched the video, during the test drive, the rattling noise definitely seemed to be coming from the upper passenger side, right where the mount is located. Seems like it's a safe bet that that's the culprit.