IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

XC90 2004 Transmission fluid flush DIY

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
3pfilms
Year and Model: 2004 xc90 2.5t AWD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
3pfilms

Re: XC90 2004 Transmission fluid flush DIY

Post by 3pfilms » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:38 pm

Mike, Thanks for the reply. The odd thing is that the fluid is "lifetime" so why would there be a counter? If the computer is adjusting for viscosity breakdown as the fluid ages, would it make more sense to do multiple drain/fill with a few hundred miles in between? That would give the computer time to adjust to the less bad fluid ,eventually making it after 5 or 6 drain/fill cycles very new fluid.

I know of the emulation software, but then I have to buy a windows OS, not that I'm against windows, but vida/dice would be my only application for it. I'll look into it a bit more though, thanks!

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Fluid is not life of vehicle. That is a term created by Volvo corporate and is well used by Volvo dealers who don't want to be involved with fluid changes and associated dramas that result from them. ie. "my transmission was shifting fine until fluid change" because the tech didn't fully road test and warm the fluid before checking levels or worse still he doesn't tighten the drain plug and later the dealer is sued.

Multiple drain and fills are well documented here on MVS.

The transmission manufacturer Aisin Warner has clearly stated in their service literature that fluid is NOT life of vehicle.

If you have ever disassembled and repaired a transmission as I have you would see that it becomes contaminated with black friction material that is easily identified with a microscope. These particles further create friction and accelerate the demise of the valve body that has multiple pistons in bores that require good lubrication. Most experienced DIYers and techs here and in other forums recommend fluid changes every 30-50k miles depending on usage or driving habits.

The TCM software is advanced enough to make subtle timimg changes to shift patterns and solenoid behaviour based on fluid life. The other parameter to be reset by Vida is the adaptives which adjusts/learns timing of good quality shifts.

You don't need to purchase an OS to run Vida on your Mac. Just search MVS for VM Ware image and download the XP emulation files as well as VM Ware player for Mac. You will also need a Mac version of 7 Zip to create a directory once the files are stitched together.

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

3pfilms
Year and Model: 2004 xc90 2.5t AWD
3pfilms

Post by 3pfilms » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:15 pm

precopster wrote:Fluid is not life of vehicle.
Multiple drain and fills are well documented here on MVS.
The TCM software is advanced enough to make subtle timimg changes to shift patterns and solenoid behaviour based on fluid life. The other parameter to be reset by Vida is the adaptives which adjusts/learns timing of good quality shifts.
You don't need to purchase an OS to run Vida on your Mac. Just search MVS for VM Ware image and download the XP emulation files as well as VM Ware player for Mac. You will also need a Mac version of 7 Zip to create a directory once the files are stitched together.
I know, marketing speak. That's why I'm wanting to change it, that and 7500 miles oil change intervals, I don't buy that, 5000 ok, but that is a lot of miles, especially in the north where we get 0def F in the winter and 90deg F in the summer, best to change the oil in spring and autumn.

There isn't much on that on the xc90 forum, but if it's anything like my other vehicles it is as simple as draining, measuring, adding exact amount.

I guess that's my main question, do you have to reset the fluid counter? If you space the drain/fills to be at least 200 miles apart do I even need vida/dice to reset the fluid counter? I do want to get Vida/Dice up and running, but I'd rather wait as little as possible to do the transmission fluid.

I and no programmer/tech minded person. But from everything I've read I do need a license of some flavor of windows to use any of the windows emulation software on mac. Parallels, fusion, bootcamp, they all require a valid windows OS to run. Once that OS is installed, then I can use the VMware Player files for here, there is no Mac version of VMware Player.

Thanks for the patience,
Phillip

marmotteNZ
Year and Model: xc90 2004 awd 2.5T
United States of America
marmotteNZ

Post by marmotteNZ » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:30 pm

Just did mine. 190k, probably never done before (bought it at 150k).
Did the drain pan first, 4qts roughly dripped out, black :(
Easy to do - I am an almost complete beginner at DIY car maintenance and it was definitively easy job....the hardest bit is actually reaching the gauge without burning your forearms LOL

songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5, 2004 XC90
United States of America
songzunhuang

Post by songzunhuang » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:59 pm

I did my 2004 XC90 at 105,361 miles. I changed the transmission filter and it took about 7 qts of fluid! I had bought 4 qts in a kit from FCP Euro, but the had to go grab another 3 to get it to the fill line. So far the tranny is doing fine.

Here's a few pictures of the job.
Tranny1.png
Tranny2.png
Tranny3.png
Tranny4.png
It's not a hard job, just a bit messy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com
2004 XC90 T6 AWD Ruby red
1998 V70 T5 - Hurt your eyes red
2000 S2000 - the non Volvo
1984 BMW 633CSi - I'm diversifying