IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

P0101 , P2188 Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
JoeD
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
Been thanked: 0
JoeD

P0101 , P2188

Post by JoeD » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 am

Hi

I have a 2005 XC 90 Volvo AWD 2.5 L engine
My problem is the Check Engine light is on with these codes, P0101 and P2188.
The vehicle starts and drives fine.
When it sits idling,it will idle fine and then it will momentarily stumble/run rough like its going to stall then clears itself out. No rhyme or reason when its going to occur.
Never does it in motion,only when idling.
I had codes read at Autozone and i bought some MAF cleaner and tried to clean it but it didnt fix it,still does it.I figure if it was a vacuum leak it would do it consistently but this only happens for a split second almost.
Do i just have a faulty MAF sensor?

And if so,can i use the Cardone reman unit from Autozone?

Thanks in advance for your time

Joe

regent
Year and Model: 2015 XC60 T5
United States of America
regent

Re: P0101 , P2188

Post by regent » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:14 am

A low minimum airflow rate through the sensor would cause these to be set at idle or during deceleration. Look for vacuum leaks downstream of the MAFS. I would think, most likely between throttle and intake manifold - since vacuum increases in that section during idle and decel (with throttle closed or almost closed).
Example of Precision: Measure with a Micrometer, mark it with Chalk, and then cut it with an Axe.
Disclaimer: We (very) seldom do that

2015 BMW 335i
2015 XC60 T5 Premier Plus
2002 S60 2.4 n/a - retired :(
1987 340 DL - retired :(

cbotd
Year and Model: XC90 2005
Has thanked: 0
cbotd

Post by cbotd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 am

It is likely NOT the MAF sensor. If you want to replace anyway I would recommend only a Bosch replacement. I just recently went through a similar code scenario and let my experience help you. I also have a 2005 XC90 2.5l AWD. I have 96k miles.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... 10&t=53977

1.) Start with looking for obvious vacuum leaks by inspecting hoses and connectors.
2.) If you don't find anything I would next suggest cleaning the throttle body. If you're handy it can be a DIY procedure but you will need a new Manifold gasket from the dealer. It is a 2.5 hour dealer job and should be similar from another mechanic to have it done.
3.) If you want to replace your MAF sensor you can get a less expensive Bosch from the Internet. I purchased a Bosch MAF from Amazom for $135 w/ Saturday delivery at that price. Plug and play with no problems.

I also had a P2178 code. Different from yours but lead me to a fuel delivery diagnosis for the Fuel Pressure Sensor. The 2188 Volvo cross reference is the same info - P2188 -- ECM-21E0 -- Adaptive heated oxygen sensor control, bank 1 -- Faulty signal
P2188 -- ECM-216D -- Adaptive heated oxygen sensor control, bank 1 -- Signal too low

It may not be an 02 sensor though. I would recommend have a dealer trace the problem with their diagnostic tools for you before you start chasing the problem down and throwing new parts at it without positive results.

JoeD
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
JoeD

Post by JoeD » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks for the replies...

Wouldnt a vacuum leak cause a rough idle all the time?

This will momentarily stumble for like a split second then clear out.
Doesnt do it all the time

Wouldnt a dirty Throttle unit also cause a rough idle more consistently?

Sorry for the questions,just trying to understand it all

regent
Year and Model: 2015 XC60 T5
United States of America
regent

Post by regent » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm

The amount of unmetered air depends on multiple factors such as location of the leak, current value of vacuum, size of the ingress point, air density, etc. During transition, while the computer tries to maintain idle speed and keep the AFR happy, the leak is another unknown that will confuse it further and thus cause the RPM to go too high (surge) or too low before it settles for a balance somewhere if at all.
This is (part of) the theory. In reality, every case is different. But the general approach is the same as described above by cbotb.

A sticky TB will definitely cause idle hesitation that may not be easy to predict (we do not know exactly how the "stickiness" of the throttle plate will change with temperature for example). :D
Example of Precision: Measure with a Micrometer, mark it with Chalk, and then cut it with an Axe.
Disclaimer: We (very) seldom do that

2015 BMW 335i
2015 XC60 T5 Premier Plus
2002 S60 2.4 n/a - retired :(
1987 340 DL - retired :(

WellingtonX
Year and Model: XC90, 2007
WellingtonX

Re: P0101 , P2188  Topic is solved

Post by WellingtonX » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:27 am

Hi Joe D

The good news is that you are not on your own but the bad news is that I've been chasing these codes for 12 months and not eliminated them. I also have a 2005 XC90 2.5L AWD with 140K Km on it. I got the car back from the shop today after new drive shafts. Prior to dropping the car in, I had the emission light on (engine system) and an alert re Engine Service Required. The codes were P0101 - ECM-120D AND P2188 ECM-216D - same as yours but I have also seen 120C, 216C and 1200. The dash alerts on my car clear themselves after a few days and then come back randomly. Do yours stay on all the time?

Here's what I have done over about 12 months

1. Replaced the MAF - with a Bosch unit off ebay - no difference

2. Replaced forward O2 sensor - The P2188 code lists the adaptive heated oxygen sensor control and I thought the sensor was the issue. I don't know want Bank 1 or Bank 2 mean in these codes. I believe there is another sensor down the back, perhaps that's the other sensor. No change but improved fuel economy. I counted that as win.

3. I built a smoke machine and found a leak at the PTC value grommet. I'd had the PVC system replaced and the value cleaned and I suspect the grommet split. You can't buy just the grommet, you need to purchase the air hose and value. I basically covered the grommet with oil resistant silicon. This fixed the leak but my smoke machine needs a couple of modifications to work better as I have not be able to seal the system properly. Now after I plugged this leak it ran better - not perfect but better. For several months I didn't get the Engine Service alert only the occasional Emissions Light which would clear itself but last week I got both again so that was disappointing.

4. Replaced very soft rubber turbo hose above the dip stick. Ran really well for a couple of months and then started playing up again.

It all feels like a vacuum leak to me but I am clearly no expert. I haven't heard of the dirty throttle body theory before.

Do you have any issue with your transmission? I am not sure if it related but when my car is hot after running for a hour it can get a bit clunky around town when its shifting down.

I wonder if it is a coincidence we both have the same model XC90

Regards
Martin

cbotd
Year and Model: XC90 2005
cbotd

Post by cbotd » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:12 am

Martin,

Check the throttle body. It may cure your problems and is not a "break the bank" repair cost to have it cleaned. Air leaks in the system will also cause poor running performance and engine lights, but it sounds like your on your way to looking for those already.

WellingtonX
Year and Model: XC90, 2007
WellingtonX

Post by WellingtonX » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi Everyone

I have made so really solid progress that I wanted to post. I did clean the throttle body. It was actually pretty clean which surprised me. When I refitted the cleaning hadn't made any difference. Just a note that I took the throttle body off with the manifold in place. It is tricky because you are working blind with four bolts but with pictures of the net it was not too bad. Took me about 90 mins all up.

So...what next? I made some improvements to my home built smoke machine (got ideas off Youtube) and connected it up. I had a major leak around the PTC valve on the air intake tube from the MAF to the turbo. The smoke really showed up well with an LED torch for some reason. Its in a really tricky spot and I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from. I purchased a new tube which comes with the PTC valve and grommet and fitted. When I took the old one off, I could see that the PTC valve was not seated in the hole in the intake tube. Now what I think happened is that that I had the PVC system replaced/serviced about 12 months ago and the mechanic cleaned the PTC valve but did not re-seat it properly. He obviously tried to do this with the air intake tube in place. I reckon there was a one centimetre gap in the seal. This does explain to me why you have to purchase the entire air intake tube and valve. Also it explains the rougher running when the car is hot as I think the plastic air intake hose gets more flexible and the gap probably opens and closes somewhat. The car is running very well. The surging in power has gone and it accelerates very smoothly now. The transmission clunking on change down from 3rd to 2nd has gone or is much reduced. The "Reduced Engine Performance" and "Check Engine" lights are still on and I'll get these cleared next service. I'll see how it runs for a few weeks and provide an update. If any one has have a PVC service and not had the PTC replaced and now has these codes, I'd be looking to a poor seal around the PTC valve. Cheers

bruno12
Year and Model: 2005 XC90 2.5T AWD
bruno12

Post by bruno12 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Thanks, Wellington! You've given me a lot to look for!

rvvolvo
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
rvvolvo

Post by rvvolvo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:48 pm

JoeD did you ever figure out the cure for your codes. I have the same issue right now on my 05 XC70. I cleaned the MAF but and had the breather hose replaced today by a shop. Codes came right back after a reset. I am thinking about buying a new Bosch MAF and installing it. Should I look into cleaning the PCV system or go straight for the MAF? I have a 116k on my XC70.