IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2008 Volvo XC90, AWD Inner/Outer Tie rod Removal/Replacemen

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
skippyxc90
Year and Model: XC90 3.2 AWD 2008

2008 Volvo XC90, AWD Inner/Outer Tie rod Removal/Replacemen

Post by skippyxc90 »

The instruction calls for a counterhold to remove the inner tie rod and I cant even find a place to buy the tool (999 7083). And there is also a limiter?
Inner tie rod limiterpdf.pdf
(341.93 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Can I just use the tie rod tool from Autozone?

Is there anyone out there who had changed tie rods on a XC90 AWD? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.
huzzsaba
Year and Model: 2004 volvo xc90 2.5t

Re: 2008 Volvo XC90, AWD Inner/Outer Tie rod Removal/Replac

Post by huzzsaba »

not sure how much room is around the inner joint, but you may be able to use a pipe wrench to get off.
2004 Volvo xc90 2.5t
1998 Volvo s70 T5M
skippyxc90
Year and Model: XC90 3.2 AWD 2008

Post by skippyxc90 »

I'm not sure what the counterhold is for. I have a funny feeling that the limiter is holding the inner rod. There's no room for a pipe wrench as the inner rod is right above the subframe.

I'm about to change the struts, spring seats, strut mounts, control arms, ball joints, outer and inner tie rods then take it in for an alignment (I'm not sure yet if I need a new limiter but I might as well buy it too and return if not needed). With money being tight, I just want to save some money so I can eventually change the Nivomat rear shocks ($400 a piece, ouchhhhhhhhh) The last thing I need is to pay so much money on labor how to do the job as it doesn't look that complicated.
jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 »

You may not have limiters in your steering rack. They are there to stop steering range so that wide tires do not hit the inside of wheel housing.
Turn to steering all the way to the side you are working on and it improves access. The inner tie rod can be unscrewed using a crow's foot in the correct size or with a pipe wrench placed at 45 degree angle.