IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Replace ECU no luck Intermittent Crank but No Start BRAKE FAILURE warning message

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
BrickBetty
Year and Model: 2004 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
BrickBetty

Replace ECU no luck Intermittent Crank but No Start BRAKE FAILURE warning message

Post by BrickBetty » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Hey guys! New member but reading this forum for years! Love it!

Volvo dealer replaced ECU, charged me $1800, and then wouldn't turn over in front of the service department. Guys ran out. Lots of frenzy. Thought you guys would have a laugh at that one.

Ok--my gear shifter was having problems moving in and out of gear. Key stuck in ignition. Replaced broken knob button. Kept falling out. Kicked it (my fault so sorry anger management problems) opened her up to find a broken Claw and the arm completely broken. Fine. Don't really need the shifter arm right now, car registers on dash in all gears and on gear shifter pad still plugged in, and shifts easier than before! Like an anti-theft device right?

Fast forward to car wash in Chicago, cleaned the underbelly, next day it snowed and BRAKE FAILURE STOP SLOWLY message appears. Leave it for a day. Try to start again. No. Put it in neutral and boyfriend pushes it a few feet. Starts, runs, shifts, idles fine! ANTI-SKID disabled message.

Car begins to die at idle in traffic. Wait a couple mins starts right back up. Try giving it has at idle, seems to help until it doesn't.

Go get Alignment done. Car won't start on the rig so they push it out. I walk to part store, get Seafoam, wait an hour and it starts back up so we pull it in and change fuel filter. Starts and runs just fine, until it doesn't. Intermittent start problems, no more stalling at idle (maybe fuel filter helped?)

Finally towed it to Volvo where they gave me the quickest and most expensive solution. Ha!

Is it ABS sensor faulty?
Transmission Shift solenoid? (maybe why I was having problems initially but I figured that was the broken claw)
Bad Fuel Pump that once cools will allow the car to start again?

Battery, Starter, Alternator all check out.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Replace ECU no luck Intermittent Crank but No Start BRAKE FAILURE warning message

Post by abscate » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:39 am

I would guess you have multiple issues that aren't related.

First , brakes. My guess is a wheel sensor wire broke which will take out your ABS and antiskid, car wash is culprit there.

The hard start can be the coolant temperature sensor ( called ECT here) going flakey.

And, as they say the business, " when they say ECU, they don't have a clue"
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

BrickBetty
Year and Model: 2004 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
BrickBetty

Re: Replace ECU no luck Intermittent Crank but No Start BRAKE FAILURE warning message

Post by BrickBetty » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:08 pm

"ECU, no Clue" That's hilarious.

They tested my ECU when it was still in the car. They did not test the new ECU when it was on the car. Genius.

They determined that there was a faulty wire to the computer they needed to replace that was causing an inconsistent voltage drop.

Of course, they sent my computer back to Volvo. My mistake for letting them do that right? They will just refurbish and resell. :twisted:

The faulty wire would cause the no start correct? And might explain the misc error messages? The breaks never went out, nor any of the gauges (speedo, fuel, temp). It's possible there is still an Anti-Skid or ABS sensor problem still, but I won't be able to tell until I get the wheels on ice.

I feel I shouldn't have to pay for any of the ECU labor. The diagnostic is also BS when they tell you have 3 pages of trouble codes and there's nothing they can do.

What the heck is a 75 point inspection anyway? Does each lug nut count as a point? :lol: