IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

All New XC90 - any first hand feedback?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5, 2004 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
songzunhuang

All New XC90 - any first hand feedback?

Post by songzunhuang » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:38 pm

So you have probably started seeing these beautiful cars driving about. Like me, you may even be considering the purchase of one.

This is a message to anyone that has taken the plunge. How is it really? Is it as gorgeous and nice and the reviews? Can a 4 cylinder engine really move a 7 passenger car in a reasonable way? Chime in and let us know.

Thanks!

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com
2004 XC90 T6 AWD Ruby red
1998 V70 T5 - Hurt your eyes red
2000 S2000 - the non Volvo
1984 BMW 633CSi - I'm diversifying

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: All New XC90 - any first hand feedback?

Post by oragex » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:48 am

Not sure if it's allowed to post a link, but quite a few discussions here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201

cuhfs
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 850,V70,C70,XC90
United States of America
cuhfs

Post by cuhfs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Oragex, Thank you

95 850 Sedan Auto Trans
98 V70 Manual Trans
01 C70 Manual Trans
03 XC70 Auto
04 C70 Auto
06 XC90 Auto (ORE)
96 850 Wagon Manual Trans (parts car)

cuhfs
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 850,V70,C70,XC90
United States of America
cuhfs

Post by cuhfs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:41 pm

Just got the 06 with a V8. Lots of accessories not in the older 850 and 70 series cars. Radio can be adjusted from steering wheel, side mirror defroster/defogger, rear seats can watch dvd. . Any much much more. So far great car.

95 850 Sedan Auto Trans
98 V70 Manual Trans
01 C70 Manual Trans
03 XC70 Auto
04 C70 Auto
06 XC90 Auto (ORE)
96 850 Wagon Manual Trans (parts car)

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Yes, it is. On my last service on my S80 my dealer put me in a brand new XC90 for about 10 days and I really loved it. I found the engine moved the car just fine and it was only a T5. I am sure that the T6 would be more to my liking enine wise. In the back floor is a flap that lifts with binders to secure plastic bags of groceries, the transmission seems smoother than the same engine in the XC60 my dealer also loans out. The engine must be mounted with better mounting system than the 60's. It just all around felt better and was quieter than the same engine in a 60. The engine is still noisy compared to my 2004 S80 T6 which whispers in comparison. The touchscreen is really easy to use, but the screen must be switched to turn off that stupid autostart feature. No push button start, but a dial on the console which seems weird to start the engine. I have been waiting on the S90, but after driving that brand new XC90 I have really been thinking hard about buying one. I want the up to 80mph simi-automatically driving feature that the S90 has though. Maybe the 2018? The autostart feature is a real pain in the rear and in my opinion Volvo should allow the dealer to disable it upon customers request. Autostart and no 6-cylinder turbo has kept me from trading my T6 off for the last several years. Oh, the seat is as good as the S80, the stereo is exceptional, and the touchscreen made changes to settings a breeze even for a older person like me. I hate the dash screen system on all other new Volvo's, but love the 90's touchscreen. It is very friendly and simular to a smartphone to use. Also the ride quality is quite good. Anyway those are my thoughts from my own experience with the week and a half I drove one last month. June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5, 2004 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
songzunhuang

Post by songzunhuang » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:39 pm

June wrote:Yes, it is. On my last service on my S80 my dealer put me in a brand new XC90 for about 10 days and I really loved it. I found the engine moved the car just fine and it was only a T5. I am sure that the T6 would be more to my liking enine wise. In the back floor is a flap that lifts with binders to secure plastic bags of groceries, the transmission seems smoother than the same engine in the XC60 my dealer also loans out. The engine must be mounted with better mounting system than the 60's. It just all around felt better and was quieter than the same engine in a 60. The engine is still noisy compared to my 2004 S80 T6 which whispers in comparison. The touchscreen is really easy to use, but the screen must be switched to turn off that stupid autostart feature. No push button start, but a dial on the console which seems weird to start the engine. I have been waiting on the S90, but after driving that brand new XC90 I have really been thinking hard about buying one. I want the up to 80mph simi-automatically driving feature that the S90 has though. Maybe the 2018? The autostart feature is a real pain in the rear and in my opinion Volvo should allow the dealer to disable it upon customers request. Autostart and no 6-cylinder turbo has kept me from trading my T6 off for the last several years. Oh, the seat is as good as the S80, the stereo is exceptional, and the touchscreen made changes to settings a breeze even for a older person like me. I hate the dash screen system on all other new Volvo's, but love the 90's touchscreen. It is very friendly and simular to a smartphone to use. Also the ride quality is quite good. Anyway those are my thoughts from my own experience with the week and a half I drove one last month. June
Thanks for the details.
I hadn't thought of loaner cars... Next time I take my XC90 in for service, I'll request a new XC90 as a loaner. That'd be a great way to check it out.

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com
2004 XC90 T6 AWD Ruby red
1998 V70 T5 - Hurt your eyes red
2000 S2000 - the non Volvo
1984 BMW 633CSi - I'm diversifying

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:19 pm

songzunhuang wrote:
June wrote:Yes, it is. On my last service on my S80 my dealer put me in a brand new XC90 for about 10 days and I really loved it. I found the engine moved the car just fine and it was only a T5. I am sure that the T6 would be more to my liking enine wise. In the back floor is a flap that lifts with binders to secure plastic bags of groceries, the transmission seems smoother than the same engine in the XC60 my dealer also loans out. The engine must be mounted with better mounting system than the 60's. It just all around felt better and was quieter than the same engine in a 60. The engine is still noisy compared to my 2004 S80 T6 which whispers in comparison. The touchscreen is really easy to use, but the screen must be switched to turn off that stupid autostart feature. No push button start, but a dial on the console which seems weird to start the engine. I have been waiting on the S90, but after driving that brand new XC90 I have really been thinking hard about buying one. I want the up to 80mph simi-automatically driving feature that the S90 has though. Maybe the 2018? The autostart feature is a real pain in the rear and in my opinion Volvo should allow the dealer to disable it upon customers request. Autostart and no 6-cylinder turbo has kept me from trading my T6 off for the last several years. Oh, the seat is as good as the S80, the stereo is exceptional, and the touchscreen made changes to settings a breeze even for a older person like me. I hate the dash screen system on all other new Volvo's, but love the 90's touchscreen. It is very friendly and simular to a smartphone to use. Also the ride quality is quite good. Anyway those are my thoughts from my own experience with the week and a half I drove one last month. June
Thanks for the details.
I hadn't thought of loaner cars... Next time I take my XC90 in for service, I'll request a new XC90 as a loaner. That'd be a great way to check it out.

Glad I posted a answer, I have been given XC90 as loaners in the past. This time they kept my car for a extended period of time which gave me the opportunity to get familiar with the loaner XC90. My dealer knows I won't drive, ride, or place myself in a non Volvo vehicle so they always have one for me rather than a Avis rental. I understand each dealer only keeps so many loaners, then it's Avis so I would if I were you I would request a XC90 when you schedule your appointment with your advisor. You will love it I and likely not want to give it back. June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned