IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Left turn signal only works in the warm weather?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Rrrfrates
Year and Model: 2005 XC T6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Rrrfrates

Left turn signal only works in the warm weather?

Post by Rrrfrates » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:47 am

Would like some help I have a 2005 Volvo XC90 T6 and I am having an issue with the left turn signal. The turn signal only seems to work in warm weather about 70ish. It give me the turn signal blub failure. I have replace all the lights front and rear blubs with new ones as well as the side markers those are led lights now. This issues started about a year ago give or take a few months. I have also clean the turn signal switch as well as replaced it with one out of another Volvo XC90 from a junkyard here. The reason I have waited as I moved to CA which is warm most of the times so I really didn't deal with cold weather again until recently. Any ideas would help Thanks Ahead of Time

Roger_850T
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 854T 1995
United States of America
Roger_850T

Re: Left turn signal only works in the warm weather?

Post by Roger_850T » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 pm

The interesting thing about this generation of car is that it all goes through the Central Electronics Module (CEM). The turn signal switch sends a signal to the CEM, which then activates a relay to turn on the turn signal lights. It's kind of esoteric, but it also makes it testable if you have VIDA. I think you can send a command through VIDA to activate the turn signal. (I know you can manipulate the radio, I've done it.) If you send the turn signal command through VIDA and it works, then it would indicate the switch is failing. Or, if you activate the turn signal, and it doesn't make the lights blink, that suggests CEM and/or the wiring and bulb sockets.
'05 XC90 V8 140k
'95 854T 310k
'02 V70 159k
'03 S80 111k (crashed)
'93 945T 217k (gone to be parted out)
'87 245 300k+ sold, still going
'84 264 Diesel, RIP at 160k
'78 242 manual everything.
'73 P1800ES, fun until the rust set in...

gstallons
Year and Model: 2004 XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
gstallons

Re: Left turn signal only works in the warm weather?

Post by gstallons » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:56 am

When you have this symptom again , try your emergency flashers and see what does / does not work . If one corner does not function , look into this and let us know what you find .