IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Timing belt questions

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
SwedishThing
Year and Model: 2006 XC 90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
SwedishThing

Timing belt questions

Post by SwedishThing » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:00 am

Hi all, first, I have the 2006 XC 90 AWD and I believe it's the inline 5 engine ( :shock: uh oh - we have a non car speak female on the field! Be kind) and I love the vehicle other than the small fortune I have put into it since purchasing it used a couple years ago - am I correct that my vehicle has a timing belt and not a chain? I have read a few contradictory posts about this issue. Also, I noticed that I am at about 113k and for the past few months I have been telling myself **must get Volvo in to get belt and water pump done**. Again, a bit of contradiction in some of what I have read and been told - if I have a timing belt that has never been changed and I am at 113k - I need to get in to the tech fast, correct? I remember when I bought the vehicle, the mechanic who checked it out for me told me the belt looked new and that it could have been changed already - would he have been able to see this without really digging into the engine? The bottom line is, it is time to get the vehicle in for service, correct? I just noticed a message in the message center a couple weeks ago: time to schedule regular maintenance! Must be the belt? What other regular maintenance will I be hit with at my mileage? Just rant to be prepared. Thanks!

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America
cn90

Re: Timing belt questions

Post by cn90 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:51 am

- The message on the dash is just generic message to remind you to "take care" of the car: be it oil change, brake inspection etc. Nothing specific.
Most of us here DIYers have some kind of spreadsheet (such as change oil every 5K, spark plugs every ___ miles etc.).
Best is for you to come up with a spreadsheet (search forum for info) and follow it.

- The factory WP is made by Aisin and has an amazing track records (same WP in Volvo 850, S70 etc. with tons of experience), it virtually does not fail before 180K. Sure, you can replace the WP at 113K, but use only Aisin. One alternative is HEPU, but personally I'd stick to Aisin.
Or wait until 170K or so, and do another timing belt, WP at that time.

- My 2005 XC90 2.5T (open the hood, search the internet for photo and you will know what engine you have, three flavors were offered back in 2005 5-cyl, 6-cyl and V8!) with 103K is now due for timing belt.
In fact, I will do that soon and post a DIY for those who want to DIY.

- The mechanic that told you the TB looks good is probably not a Volvo mechanic. Yes, at 113K, the TB may look good but if you remove it and bend it, you will see very very fine cracks. Not a big deal b/c chances are the TB itself will easily last until 150K.
If you want to see the fine cracks, see the video below...

- What will kill your engine (the Achilles heel) is the mechanical tensioner, which is notorious for failing after 100K. When the mech tensioner goes, the timing belt is thrown off tracks, pistons hit the valves and you are looking at $3000-4000 job to fix it.

- At 113K, I strongly recommend:
1. New serpentine belt (get the Conti brand, which is OEM).
2. New serpentine belt pulley, the bearing only lasts that long.
3. TB kit, sold at Volvo dealer (you can that on ebay too) for about $115, this includes the TB itself and 2 pulleys (one mech tensioner and one idler).
Make sure you give the Volvo dealer the VIN so they can find the correct TB kit for you.

If you can wait a few weeks, I should have the DIY written up with all the PNs.

PS: whatever you do, find a mechanic that is familiar with Volvo (there are some in the Chicago area). Or go to Volvo dealer.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

cn90
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:55 am

Forgot to answer your other questions re maintenance at 100K+:
- Replace air filter
- Replace spark plugs (I posted a DIY in forum)
- Flush ATF and AWD fluid (I posted a DIY in forum)
- Checl front and rear suspensions.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:42 am

Smart move to hit the forums, hopefully here's plenty of information, albeit not as many people post on the XC90, for more general concerns you can also write on the S60 forum.

To clear the maintenance message check out Youtube, although not all videos show the correct procedure.

You don't mention at what miles you got the car. Previous owner might or might have not replaced the belt. This is usually done at 100k miles, not many people have it replaced before that moment. I can tell from own experience that an old belt may still look good while starting to crack at 1-2 places.

If the engine is the 5 cylinders, most of us do replace the belt and pulleys by ourselves, without removing the crank pulley (a garage should know what I'm talking about). I takes us some 2h to do the job, gives you an idea what to expect from a honest garage. If a place says it's a 4h job run. I'd definitely go to local.google.com and search for an european garage and check the reviews, better find some place who does volvo and is honest. as mentioned above, even most Volvo dealers don't replace the water pump at the first belt. The belt is replaced with the roller and the tensioner. As mentioned, I'd get the Volvo kit and bring it to the garage. Many garages will put some cheap parts well known to fail.

I would also replace the transmission fluid, as mentioned. Only to be done by a volvo mechanic.

comeaux54
Year and Model: XC90 2006
United States of America
comeaux54

Post by comeaux54 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:08 am

Hello every one. I change my belt last year and took me about 4 hr. I have a 2006 xc90 T 5 it was not that hard too do you need to move a lot of stuff out of the way. get a cam lock this makes it easy so you don't move the cams after you get them in the right place. Note the hart part was finding the mark on the cam that did not stamp them too well. I also replaced the water pump it did not need it but I was there and said to my self I did not want to do this again any time soon. ( I did keep the old one). I did get all my parts from a Volvo dealer in TX at whole sale and no taxes and free shipping the site was on this site. A lot less cost then going to dealer here.

cuhfs
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 850,V70,C70,XC90
United States of America
cuhfs

Post by cuhfs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:49 am

I believe the 2006 V8 has a timing chain not belt and is lifetime . Sounds like you dont have the V8.

95 850 Sedan Auto Trans
98 V70 Manual Trans
01 C70 Manual Trans
03 XC70 Auto
04 C70 Auto
06 XC90 Auto (ORE)
96 850 Wagon Manual Trans (parts car)

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America
JDS60R

Post by JDS60R » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:27 pm

The timing belt is due at 105K so I would get it done. You should include the water pump, timing belt pulley and tensioner.

I have tracked 24 failed Aisin pumps( out of those I've changed in the last 12 years), the avg "fail" mileage is aprox 150k but a some fail at 120K. You do not want to change it after it fails as it can throw the timing belt and cause damage to the valves which is expensive (addl $1000-2000). It is a false economy to pay a mechanic change the water pump 20-50K after the timing belt . The labor is close to the timing belt labor. If you are working on your car yourself and don't have the money for a water pump you could wait a little, but then you are doing the timing belt labor twice.

Change all of the timing belt components every 105K and you will be fine. The Volvo OE parts (don't have to be blue box) are great and if purchased through FCP are only about $15 more than the next competitor. The top competitors are great but for $15 most of my customers chose to go with Volvo parts (INA, Aisin, Volvo belt) . Please mention to your mechanic to only use Volvo coolant and distilled water.

If you use quality parts and synthetic lubricants you will enjoy a long life from your car if used from day 1.

Best wishes,
John

Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138

cn90
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:11 am

Re: Factory Aisin WP, I agree with JDS60R, I usually err on the safe side. It is overkill but you feel better.

Admittedly, many people in the Volvo 850, S70, V70 forum keep their WP all the way up to 2nd timing belt change at 180K without issues.

When I did the TB on my 1998 S70 GLT with 150K, the WP had no leak, the bearing had very very slight play, but since "I am there", I may as well replaced the WP at 150K.

My 2005 XC90 2.5T with only 105K...I am doing the TB soon, and "since I am there", I will replace the water pump too. I know it is a bit early (I know these WPs can easily go to 150K-180K range as failure before 150K is very very rare)...but for the peace of mind, I will replace the WP at 105K. Aisin WP is $55-$65 on ebay, free shipping.

PS: the part I don't enjoy is cleaning the WP mating surface in a tight space with a razor blade, but other than that it was straight forward.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 am

JDS60R wrote:
The timing belt is due at 105K so I would get it done. You should include the water pump, timing belt pulley and tensioner.

I have tracked 24 failed Aisin pumps( out of those I've changed in the last 12 years), the avg "fail" mileage is aprox 150k but a some fail at 120K.

This is interesting as it seems to go at the opposite way of what most Volvo dealers suggest, and also what most owners suggest. I have yet to read about a single such issue on the several Volvo forums I follow in the past 3 years. however, I read about several WP failures where the original WP was replaced with a non Aisin unit, with this aftermarket unit failing soon after being installed. But not the original Volvo one.

I also mostly read on S60/V70 forums, not on XC90 forums. Were all the incidences you are describing on XC90's?

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America
JDS60R

Post by JDS60R » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:59 pm

cn90 is on the right track .

There is not 100% certainty that the pump will make it to the next timing belt interval. We know that some pumps have,do and will fail before the second interval With the 105K mile interval cars its a no brainer as it likely will not make 210K miles Its cheap insurance given the majority failure events happen in 3 way.

1. Caught it while weeping and just started getting hot and had the whole timing belt kit and pump changed. Or am really upset about paying TB labor to change wp when I just had it done 20-50K ago.

2. Pump fails -belt jumps - new head or head/valve repair

3. Pump leaks and driver is unaware or keeps driving overheating car until engine and or cooling issues exist.

oragex-

If you had larger sample size you might see things differently.

Rarely have I seen a customer who went through the water pump/timing belt jumped repair then wrote a post on it. Its a bad day/week at best. You want to forget it happened. You are likely seeing more of those those who risked it and made it.
I do know dealers who say - don't do it. I also know dealers who insist on it, don't ask and include it in the quote. (guess which dealer has more 15+ yr customers)

I don't see the logic in doing a tbelt w/o pump at 100K and then taking it off again at 150K to change the pump.

orangex asked - Were all the incidences you are describing on XC90's? -no

As far as folks "never" seeing a post on a failed pump - Try googling "Volvo timing belt failure".
You will find statements like the ones mentioned above and some similar to these below.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... mp-failure
1.As an automotive technician, if the water pump is driven by the timing belt, it is standard procedure to change them in tandem.
2.Mine started weeping a while ago in the 155k-160k range. I have a new one on my bench to go in, just waiting for a warm weekend.
3.Mine at 130K has some bearing play, replaced it

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70- ... oms-58912/

What does IPD say?
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/9221/12 ... r-pump-kit
We recommend timing belt, tensioner bearing and idler bearing replacement every 70,000 miles. Timing belt failure on these engines usually results in catastrophic engine damage. This is because they are non-clearance engines and belt failure means the valves will hit the tops of pistons.

Contrary to popular belief, the most common failed components are the tensioner and idler bearings. It is actually more rare for the belt on these models. A failed bearing will shred a timing belt in a hurry. It is also highly recommend to replace the water pump when replacing timing belt components. The timing belt drives the water pump and water pumps are considered a common failure component so we've included the Aisin brand OEM water pump.

In my opinion its a smiles vs miles equation
Because failures exist , and a pump is cheap , I change them and keep my customers on the road.

https://priuschat.com/threads/replaceme ... es.150403/

Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138