IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2006 XC90 2.5T Timing Belt Flew Off

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
SoapyCoyote
Year and Model: 2006 XC90

Re: 2006 XC90 2.5T Timing Belt Flew Off

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Going to replace both Alternator and battery today. Will report back.
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Still waiting for correct alternator to come in. 140 amp is what was in there originally.
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

So far no battery light on dashboard and "power system service urgent" message is staying off. Lesson learned; do not replace the 140amp alternator with a 160amp one even if the parts guy says it'll be ok.
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Ok, here's the latest update: It's idling but every couple seconds it feels like it's missing or skipping/stuttering and then it smoothes out for a couple seconds and then repeats the skipping. The CEL codes are P0026 and P0027 intake and exhaust valve control solenoid circuit range. Could I still be off on my timing? I didn't have these codes and weird idle before, so I think I might need to recheck my timing. The guy at the parts store recommended changing my oil.
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Post by mrbrian200 »

Timing: likely. Oil: unlikely. The car will display an urgent message on the DIM if oil pressure is low ("Shut the engine off NOW! sort of thing)...ominous message like the one that pops up if the coolant reservoir gets just a little low.
You've got the biggest most expensive share of the job done. You might think about having an experienced Volvo mechanic double check the VVT positions on the cam as well as the timing belt. Since nothing needs to be removed or replaced they should be able to check/adjust this all correctly in about an hour. 2nd or 3rd time you've tried to set this, something's off somewhere -- I suspect the VVTs are what is messing you up, probably when you locked them onto the cams, or you're misinterpreting the timing marks down on the crank.

Also, I didn't catch multiple updates regarding the alternator change. The alternator output is variable and will vary between around 14-14.7v. The current output (140 vs 160 amp) merely states the maximum output of the alternator, not it's actual output at any given moment. This is controlled by the CEM through a Local Interconnect Network - the small wire that pushes onto the lug on back of the alternator. In theory switching up to the 160A shouldn't cause a problem.. ... ..
Auto parts stores have been known to incorrectly associate alternators configured with an incorrect legacy type voltage regulator used before 2005 to newer Volvos which use LIN. For obvious reasons it doesn't work properly. I suspect this may have been the issue with the 160A. The 140A (most common on these) had the correct type regulator.
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Switched car with the wife and took the Volvo to work today and drove it to school after and now it's idling smoothly as a baby's butt. CEL is still on though, not sure what codes are on there at the moment. Haven't measured the voltage with the new alternator, but no unhappy power failure messages or battery lights or anything. That's a great idea taking it to a mechanic, I'll have to see how much more of this I can take. Honestly though, it really hasn't been that bad to work on.I think it's just that it's the wife's car so that compounds everything.
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Post by mrbrian200 »

If the timing is off a little somewhere the ECU does have the capability to adapt/learn to control the idle. Power output, fuel economy, and tailpipe emissions won't be ideal until it's corrected. Also you'll want to reset the ECU when the timing is corrected, otherwise it will initially be trying to control the idle based on a funky map it came up with under the present conditions.
FREE-PPV
Year and Model: 2005 XC90 2.5

Post by FREE-PPV »

Great thread, I had same issue, water pump froze with no warning, and since I wasn't driver, wife was, she tried to start it, as anyone would, but knowing what a nightmare these Volvo's are, I would have checked timing belt immediately, not that it would have helped. Been through hell and back chasing a half dozen issues, but this one is a killer, so thanks everyone for the great thread.

I have a question, I had no compression on all cylinders, so wiped out the valves for sure as I am sure most have experienced. So bought a head from wrecker, lower mileage, but when I got it, there was a burnt valve, but it was clean otherwise. So I pulled it all apart, replaced bad valve, lapped all valves as I had done this in my youth and amazingly I still had tool and grinding compound, and it was still good after 40 years. lol So I cleaned up head and all valves, ports, pretty proud how clean everything is while original head was all gunked up with oil leaks. Got XC90 when my kid defaulted on loan I got for her, long story. So I decided to bring it back to life, bad mistake, tons of issues.

So I am at point I will be pulling off old head, unbelievable amount of work for this old body, so am taking it slow. I am at point where I have a question about exhaust manifold. Have bolts off, but like many, the studs stay in block in half of them, so my question is what else has to come off to get manifold off. Does turbo and exhaust pipe have to be disconnected, or do people pull head with manifold attached to head? Given it is heavy and not easy to lift for me, any tips on how others pulled off head. My back is not what it use to be.

Thanks,
cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Post by cn90 »

Below is a thread on "Driving with burned valves" on the 850 S70/V70 series, this should help you:
viewtopic.php?t=74171&start=30

I also wrote an Exhaust Manifold DIY for my 1998 V70, it is somewhere in forum.
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+
amelietaylor81
Year and Model: volvo v40

Post by amelietaylor81 »

mrbrian200 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:03 pm My most recent experience with VIN checks was when I was looking to buy a running vehicle.
Carfax in my experience is more likely to turn up maintenance records. But don't assume there will be any, Carfax is also one of the most expensive.

To gauge the mileage try this free one-

https://www.research.com/vehicle/land.php

For my own car it shows mileage for two previous owners when they bought it and last when I bought it in Dec 2015.
https://www.research.com/paging-vin-rep ... 2062554682
The Carfax report which I was able to look at for free while the dealer still had it listed showed an additional owner, additional mileage time/dates at bi-annual emissions tests in IL, but nothing substantive as far as maintenance records. My sister's 03 XC90 was maintained at a Volvo dealer in IL for both previous owners and had quite a few maintenance records that showed on Carfax.
But you should be able to make some basic/educated assessment of the head on the PNP vehicle with some idea of mileage and your own in-person inspection.

$100 for the inspection camera is a little salty. I think most people like us are picking them up on Amazon or Ebay in the $15-$40 range - search for "endoscope" combined search term with whatever your smartphone is ("iPhone" or "USB" for Android or a Laptop). You will want one with a mirror that attaches to the end so that when you drop it down through the spark plug hole the mirror looks back up to see the valves.
Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162318841341

$100 I might have expected to pay for such a thing 10+ years ago.
There is another reliable site that offers free vin check https://www.vincheckpro.com/free-vin-check, you can check it as well.