IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2006 XC90 2.5T Timing Belt Flew Off

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
SoapyCoyote
Year and Model: 2006 XC90

Re: 2006 XC90 2.5T Timing Belt Flew Off

Post by SoapyCoyote »

That tiny little black tube broke that goes from my intake manifold down to my oil collection box. Do you guys know what I can replace it with?
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Massive coolant leak idea where it's coming from. Seems like it's coming from the Turbo, can't see where exactly. Any help please!
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

oops nevermind i figured it out. forgot a banjo fitting
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Now I'm getting a loud whining noise and some smoke (doesn't smell bad, maybe just steam?) Here's the video
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Also, the timing belt temperature wasn't hot. The smoke didn't smell bad like burning oil or rubber or anything like that. The white colored smoke/steam was coming from the exhaust manifold and heat shield area. I'm more concerned with how it sounds with the loud whining.
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

It is a Gates Timing Belt by the way. I also changed the water pump, the tensioner and the idler pulleys too.
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Ok after getting all of the plastic covers back on it's quiet now. But now I have the CEL code P0016 Crankshaft Position and I have pretty weak power to the wheels.
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Post by mrbrian200 »

Pretend like you never had it apart and just run a diagnosis on the CKP DTC.
Graph the live data for the sensor: if it's seeing no signal then the plug isn't seated, the sensor is bad or one of the wires that run to it broke while manipulating the harness around to work on the top end.
If there's signal then check your timing- if it's one tooth off it may start/run but with no power as you state.
The crankshaft marks are notoriously difficult to see. You wouldn't be the first one to get it a tooth off on the first try.
I wasn't even aware until recently on some engines two adjacent gear teeth on the crank have notches, not one. The two notched teeth need to straddle the timing mark on the WP. I believe this applies to an '06. Before I thought there was just one tooth marked and that it needed to line up with the mark on the WP. Not so.

Yes the Gates blue belt makes a bit of a whirring noise. If you've ever been to a dragstrip where high performance belts of this type of material construction are standard fare you know this noise is perfectly normal. I like it- once the plastic covers are back the TB noise dulls down and sounds really f---in nice combined with turbo spooling noise. Neither of which are considered loud with the hood closed, but covers some tappet noise and sounds positively wonderful to my ears. If you drive around with the windows down and the radio off, you'll notice it more under moderate/hard acceleration. But it doesn't sound bad...au contraire , it sounds good!
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Thanks mrBrian. Good to know and good to hear. I did indeed break the connector that goes to the exhaust cam electrical rectangular thing that looks like it controls the timing with oil? No idea what it's called. Will take a pic and post it asap. What is CKP DTC? How do I do what you said to do in your first paragraph?