IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2006 XC90 2.5T Timing Belt Flew Off

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Re: 2006 XC90 2.5T Timing Belt Flew Off

Post by mrbrian200 »

CKP DTC: CEL code P0016 Crankshaft Position (Sensor). CKP is a sort of universal tech lingo for this sensor. P0016 is the Diagnostic Trouble Code.

It's telling you either 1) no signal seen from this sensor, or 2) the ECU has determined that the crankshaft isn't in proper time in relation to the camshafts (based on the signal pulses it sees from this sensor).

Do you know how to display a sensor in the graphic display in VIDA? ...Diagnostics/Vehicle Communication/ click on module, in this case little box labeled ECM / Parameters. Double click 'crankshaft position sensor' in the lower left pane. This will add a line to the lower right pane. Now click 'open graphic display' on the bottom right (you might need to scroll down to see it). A pop up window will appear with one parameter listed for the sensor. Click 'zoom in' a few times and then 'autorange'. Do you see a flat line or a squared off, jagged line with even spacing?

If the line is flat as a pancake, the problem is the sensor, electrical plug, or the wiring.
If the line is jagged/squared you need to recheck the timing of the cams and crankshaft.
Since you have the camshaft locking tool, once you've turned past the marks then back counter clockwise to reset the VVTs, I would double check that the camshaft locking tool goes on without having to manipulate the position of the cams. But something tells me you probably got this right--
Chances are if anything is off it will be the crank by a tooth or two. It's notoriously difficult to see. This wouldn't damage anything but you won't get power until it's corrected. I'm half surprised I got it on the first try on mine when I changed the TB. It seemed like I was guessing.

If you picked up an inspection camera when you were looking around the yards for a used cylinder head this camera would probably help immensely as you can lower it right down in there and see things close up. Otherwise you might need a telescope :P

It starts and idles smooth, just with low power output when you try to drive it? Yes yes yes you're almost there.
SoapyCoyote
Year and Model: 2006 XC90

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Thanks for your encouragement mrbrian200. I was able to check the timing position of the crank and the camshaft hubs were not in their forward most (clockwise) position. I needed to turn both hubs quiet a bit-about 5 or 6 teeth. Anyway, it had power for about a 1/2 mile and then the battery icon light came on and the message "power system failure" came on. I'm thinking maybe I forgot to connect my alternator or something is wrong with my charging circuit.

Also, I have no idea what VIDA is at all. Sounds like a diagnostic tool that lets me connect to my sensors and displays on my laptop? Do you have a link to VIDA? Where do I buy that?
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

But man it sure felt good for that 1/2 mile!!! Turbo was working and had plenty of punch off the line!
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Well, I'm going to take my battery in to the autoparts store (Autozone) and have them charge it. I attempted to see if the alternator was connected and it did have one thick wire about maybe 10 AWG coming from the back of it. I'm assuming that this is the positive lead and that the negative is just from the alternator housing... not sure about this though. I didn't see any other loose wires, there is another lug on the back of the alternator... wait now that I'm typing this out it makes sense that the other lug is probably for the negative wire. If it's sending the negative through the alternator housing then the power would have to cross through the alternator bearings-probably not the best conductor... yeah I'll have to remove the intake manifold to get a better look and see if I can find a solution to this. Dang it! Lesson to learn here is that you should try and get this crap put back together before you forget where stuff goes.
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 »

Hmmm. Several possibilities. Here are some likely candidates that come to mind:

The main engine ground (between the front of the engine to the subframe center/left side near the bottom of the radiator is no good. It might have been fishy for awhile and the braided ground strap between the cylinder head to the RH inside wheel well came loose or broke continuity after that half mile. This braided strap has a limited current capability and can't fully take over if the main ground goes completely open. You would have disconnected this strap when you replaced the head. The little bolt that attaches it to the cylinder head is a little weak and was liking to come loose on mine. I relocated it to one of the cover bolts that torques down better.

No, the alternator ground current doesn't go through the bearings. The internals ground directly to the housing which bolts to the engine. What might also be possible here is chemicals/oils used used during the cylinder head change might have dripped down into the back of the alternator and is interfering with current across the brushes to the armature, the LIN connection (small wire) or the larger positive terminal.

It's also possible that chemicals might have dripped down onto the chassis ground/main battery cable and is interfering there. You mentioned having a disconnected coolant line near the turbo first time you went to run it which might have drenched this. It bolts to the firewall in the engine compartment down about where your left foot would be on the other side of the firewall in the engine compartment.

Connect a heavy jumper cable between the battery negative to the chassis back in the tailgate and see if it makes a difference. If not, try a jumper cable between the engine block and the fender.

You had normal power for that half mile before the battery voltage dropped too low and it went into limp mode. I think you're done messing with the head/timing.
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Thanks mrbrian200.After charging the battery up for 3 days at 750mA and taking it to AutoZone and having them charge it for a few hours on their "fast charger" (not sure how many amps and it's still not completely 100% charged) they put a load on the battery and deemed it good and said there was no need to replace it. After putting the battery back into the car and driving it for literally 2 minutes it had its full turbo boost power and was back to its old self, then this came back on the dash https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrhCX ... sp=sharing

I will check for a ground strap and I will try using jumper cables from the engine block to some bare metal solid inside fender clean metal conductor something... and let you know. I did have that puny little ground wire coming from the top of the head to the right side of the car near the wheel well, but I didn't see one coming from the front of the engine, or anywhere else for that matter just as you described. I will try to clean off the alternator and it's brushes, and I did replace it literally 2 months ago in June so hopefully it's still good. If not it is under warranty at least.

Speaking of warranties, the guy at Autozone said he'd just had a customer who replaced his alternator 5 or 6 times under warranty, even changed his battery out for a new one, only to finally find that he had a substantial parasitic draw coming from his starter solenoid and after replacing that he was fine. That was a new one for me. Maybe I should move this to the Electrical discussion area of the forum now since like you said I am good with the water pump and the timing finally. Wow what an adventure it has been. I've learned so much and it's thanks to you guys.
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 »

SoapyCoyote wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:27 pm I've learned so much and it's thanks to you guys.
Learning new things makes life interesting. And the sense of accomplishment is worth more than anything, especially at your fairly young/formative age.

Interesting about the autozone alternators. I had mine rebuilt a year ago at 10y/85k miles before heading out on a very long cross country trip. I'm fortunate to have an excellent starter/alternator rebuild shop local. Not everyone has access to such a facility. 105,000 at the moment and no sign of trouble from it. But this outfit is thoroughly professional/not a fly by night or some guy doing it in a garage.
I might recommend them, but for everyone not in the South Bend-Fort Wayne Indiana region you'd be shipping and waiting for it to come back. UPS/FedEx trucks are going in and out every time I've ever been there. Their main business is starter/alternator rebuild service for construction equipment/farm/heavy vehicles but it you give them something from a passenger vehicle they know what to do with it: Martin Repair 25720 CR38 Goshen IN. It was about $100 less than a new bosch branded alternator/a fraction of Volvo price.
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Well almost out of the woods on this. The intake CVVT Solenoid is making a buzzing noise and the check engine light is saying that both intake and exhaust solenoids are throwing errors. Here's a video of what it sounds like
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

Also, found out that the alternator is intermittently giving off 14.2-14.4 voltage and then sometimes it just drops out to 11.4 (just running off the battery) and then the battery light comes on the dash and the message "power system service urgent" I think this might be due in part to the Diode getting too hot because the turbo hose is rubbing right up against it. I'll move it and report back.
SoapyCoyote

Post by SoapyCoyote »

It makes no difference if I keep the hose off of the alternator. Also, found that the alternator that is in there is rated at 160 amps, but the original alternator was rated at 140 amps. If I go off of ohm's law V=IR then using the 160 amp alternator could be sending too high of voltage to the car... but I haven't seen that actually happening.