IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

08 XC90 3.2 steering pump noise

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ogatrulle
Year and Model: xc90 2008

08 XC90 3.2 steering pump noise

Post by ogatrulle »

Last week the XC90 (95k miles) started making noise under the hood. It was intermittent at first, but it has been getting louder. Now, sometimes it is quite loud and sometimes not so loud. Pitch varies according to the speed of the engine.

I got my home-made stethoscope (3 feet of plastic tubing taped to a dowel rod) and listened around the accessory belt area. Loudest at the steering pump. There are a lot of things packed close together so I was not completely convinced. Drove some more in hopes that the sound would get worse.

This afternoon I went in for a closer look. Battery negative terminal disconnected; unhooked the ECM cables and +12v wire so I could pull back the harness that lay over the belt area. Moved the steering fluid reservoir out of the way. Pulled out the plastic ECM housing (with the MAF sensor section attached).

I retracted the tensioner (didn't have a 19mm wrench, but my 8-inch adjustable wrench worked OK). I used a section of wire coat-hangar stuck into the tensioner hole to hold it retracted. I took off the idler pulley (T40, normal threads) so there would be plenty of slack in the belt.

I turned the steering pump pulley by hand and felt it turn roughly/unevenly, so I am pretty certain I have found the bad bearings. However, I know the water pump is also connected here. Tomorrow I plan to loosen the steering pump and separate it from the water pump coupling so I can turn it independently. Replacement is about $500 so I want to be certain before I order.

Has anyone done this job before? Can I get the steering pump detached from the water pump without first unhooking the steering fluid lines? The two screws in the pulley that connect to the water pump coupler appear difficult to access. I'd prefer not to open up the hydraulic lines for a week while I wait for the new pump to arrive (or if I find out that the water pump bearings are the source of the roughness/noise).

Thanks for your advice. This is my first significant work on a 3.2. The accessory belt system is a real treat!
2006 v70 2.5T; 2008 xc90 3.2
skippyxc90
Year and Model: XC90 3.2 AWD 2008

Re: 08 XC90 3.2 steering pump noise

Post by skippyxc90 »

I also have a 2008 Volvo XC90, 3.2L, AWD. I'm planning to replace the Serpentine Belt, Belt Tensioner as well as the Idler Pulley. I have a Vida Dice that shows the Removal/Replacement procedures. See attached PDF docs. Good luck!!!

I included the following:
Water Pump - Just in case you want to replace the pump and or coupling
Power Steering Pump - it is highly suggested to use a new guide pin
Integrated Relay/Fuse Box
Cooling System Draining/Bleeding
Accessory Drive Belt - This is a big job, you might consider changing the belt, belt tensioner and idler pulley as well.
Battery
Attachments
Battery.pdf
(88.66 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Power Steering Bleeding.pdf
(63.82 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Water pump.pdf
(213.95 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Power steering pump.pdf
(332.42 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Integrated relay fusebox in engine compartment.pdf
(158.15 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Cooling system - draining, charging and bleeding.pdf
(127.05 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Accessory DriveAccessory Drive Belt.pdf
(245.78 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
ogatrulle

Post by ogatrulle »

Thank you for the procedures. It looks as if, by the time I get the steering pump off, I will be most of the way toward getting the tensioner and belt off, so I agree it's probably worth changing them at the same time.
skippyxc90

Post by skippyxc90 »

Let me know if you can remove the steering pump without raising the ABS Module and or removing the transmission cable.
ogatrulle

Post by ogatrulle »

It's gonna be at least tomorrow before I can get at this project again. But I'll report back with info.
ogatrulle

Post by ogatrulle »

I got under the hood today and separated the steering pump from the water pump. I did not disconnect the steering pump hoses.

Once I could turn the two pumps independently, I found that the steering pump bearings were still smooth, but the water pump bearings turned roughly. That's good news for me, as the water pump is much less expensive.

I did remove the transmission shifter cable and its bracket at the top of the transmission in order to make it easier to get my ratchet on the steering pump bolts. The shifter cable pops off the arm at the front of the transmission: it is a ball-and-socket just like the ends of the hood struts, but a slightly larger ball. I used a body panel tool to pry up under the joint. Came off pretty easily, as did the cable from its bracket.

It might be possible to slide the steering pump out without raising the ABS module. However, I wanted to keep the steering pump hoses attached but move it away enough to get the water pump out. I did raise the ABS module (VIDA says 30cm, which is about all I can imagine moving it given the rigid brake lines). I had to remove the fuse/relay assembly first, because there is a screw (8mm head) under the positive battery lug that holds the fuse module to the top of the ABS module. Just remove the remaining positive lug at the aft end of the fuse module to expose the hole. (You HAVE already disconnected the battery by this point, right? That is a prerequisite for getting the wiring harness out of the way over toward the starboard side of the car at the beginning of the procedure.) There is an obvious bolt at the bottom fore end of the fuse bracket that also has to come out.

Getting the ABS module loose was the only time I needed any swear words, and that was only because I did not have an 8mm speed wrench for the rear screw at the bottom which is behind a brake line. The fore and aft screws come out, and the middle screw just gets loosened, and then you can slide the ABS module up slightly.

I was surprised at how easy it was to get at the steering pump screws. I don't have my new water pump yet, so I don't know how it's going to be trying to get a torque wrench in there, but disassembly was not bad. Even the T25 screws on the steering pump pulley could be accessed by turning the pulley to move each screw to the far aft position.
skippyxc90

Post by skippyxc90 »

Thanks for the write up. I'm a bit uncomfortable raising the ABS Module, I was afraid to break the pipes. So the trans cable was easy to pop out? Did you just pushed it in when you re install?

I'm currently researching a process to change the decoupler pulley and the crankshaft seal . It was engineered so you cannot access it without having to remove the bracket where the compressor is bolted on. Im having a hard time trying to find the tool to align the bracket. They call it "position sensor"

I have 109,000 miles on my 2008 XC90. I was told that if you have that many miles, you normally change the belt, tensioner, idler puller and most importantly the decoupler pulley.

Currently I see oil dripping on one of the water hoses just below the pulley. Looking at the diagram, there is a seal where the decoupler pulley is bolted on.

I now have the belt, tensioner, idler pulley and guide pin for the steering pump. As soon as I find who or where can I buy or rent the alignment tool, I will purchase the decoupler pulley as well as the tool to undo and install the decoupler.

This gentleman did it. His engine is less crowded than a XC90 as he can easily access the steering pump.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81578&p=447625#p447625
Attachments
Auxiliary brackets.pdf
(254.46 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Alignment Tool.jpg
Alignment Tool.jpg (102.67 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
Crank Pulley.jpg
Crank Pulley.jpg (79.57 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
ogatrulle

Post by ogatrulle »

I have been waiting for parts, which just arrived last night. Didn't read this forum until now, so I didn't see your last questions.

I just got the water pump off. Access to the six bolts was fairly easy, I just had to shift the steering pump around a bit (still connected to its hoses). There are six bolts. I'm pretty sure I can get a torque wrench on five of them, but the lower rear bolt is slightly blocked by part of the transmission. Might be able to get on it with a u-joint or something.

I am not finding specific torque specs for the water pump in VIDA. Maybe they fall under the "default" torque values listed by bolt diameter. They are M7, which translates to 17Nm.

The ABS module only needs to shift a little bit (less than an inch upward). I unclipped one or two of the lines and there was enough flex to move it a little.

I don't know about the decoupler (still relatively inexperienced with the xc90). I'm replacing my belt, idler, and tensioner while I have the water pump and steering pump out of the way. If I have to go back later and do the decoupler, I'm not too exercised about it.
ogatrulle

Post by ogatrulle »

Yes, the transmission shifter cable is easy to disconnect if you can get some leverage. It comes off the ball straight up. I haven't finished putting everything back together yet, but I expect to just push down to snap the cable on.

Today I made some progress.

To get the old belt off I unbolted the ac compressor. and shifted it around a bit.

I drained about a gallon of coolant from the back-of-engine drain.

I got the old water pump off, new belt on, and new water pump on.

There are six water pump bolts. The Volvo pump came with new bolts and a gasket, as well as a centering pin. I think I was able to reach five of the water pump bolts with the torque wrench, but for the lower rear bolt I had to just wing it.

I got a gallon of 50/50-mixed volvo coolant back in via the expansion tank. The front end was raised a bit on jack stands - maybe that helped burp it. I was surprised that I got back in about the same amount I had drained earlier without having to run the engine.

Note that it's necessary to get the belt approximately in place before attaching the steering pump. In the water pump area, keep the belt somewhat inboard (next to the engine) of the steering pump pulley until the pulley is bolted to the water pump coupler. There is a lip of the transmission underneath the steering pump pulley that interferes with positioning the belt if you leave it loose around the pulley before connecting everything there.

I put on a new spring coupler with plastic ring on the water pump (the end of the spring fits in a single specific hole in the water pump hub), installed a new centering pin, and shifted the steering pump around to mate to the water pump coupler. Mating the coupler and the steering pump pulley was a bit fiddly.

The belt also came with a new centering pin, and I had also ordered one explicitly. There was yet another new centering pin in the shipment (maybe it came with the water pump spring coupler), so I ended up with four new plastic centering pins and only needed one.

The two T25 screws that hold the steering pump pulley to the water pump coupler can be started by fingers one at a time by rotating the pulley so the screw position is forward. I was able to access them with a T25 screwdriver from two pulley positions: one at the rear and one at the front of the bottom (there is a narrow slot in the housing). I couldn't get a torque wrench on them but I was able to get an open-end wrench on the screwdriver handle and torque them to somewhere in the neighborhood of 10Nm using the Mk 1 fingers.

There are six bolts that hold the steering pump. Two are on the bottom and attach to the transmission housing. The other four accompany two brackets, one fore and one outboard of the pump. I was able to get a torque wrench on four of these, but the upper outboard bracket and the rear bottom bolt had to be done by feel. These are all M8 bolts, so 24Nm.

I put on a new tensioner and new idler. Also M8 = 24Nm. U-joint needed on the tensioner bolt due to limited space. I recall that the tensioner bolt is accessed with the ac compressor shifted away slightly.

Ran out of time to finish putting back the ABS unit, fuse box, and air cleaner - I hope to get back at it tomorrow.
ogatrulle

Post by ogatrulle »

Today I got the rest of the pieces back together.

The 8mm speed wrench came in handy for dealing with the three bolts that hold the ABS bracket on the fender. The back one, especially, is directly under a brake line and is a bit difficult to manipulate. Once started, I could also access these bolts from under the wheel well (lying on my back and reaching up).

I did reattach the shifter cable. It was trivially easy to snap the end onto the ball. There is also also a cable bracket that the cable snaps into maybe around 6-12 inches from the end, also easy.

Fuse box back on, air cleaner/ECU assembly on, cables on. Key to position 2, reconnected battery. Key out, locked/unlocked with remote. Key back in to pos 1, cycled hvac fan from low to high and back. Checked once more - no pieces left over!

Started engine - all sounded good, no fireworks, no apparent leaks.