IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Tailgate/hatch lift support

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
garyd125
Year and Model: 2011 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
garyd125

Tailgate/hatch lift support

Post by garyd125 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:00 pm

I have a 2011 XC90. The rear hatch/tailgate support strut mount knob (ball stud) has pulled out of the fiberglass of the hatch. The dealership used epoxy to glue it back in and it held up fine for about a year. It has pulled out again. Does anyone have a more permanent fix for this, short of a new tailgate?
Attachments
Top Mount Pull Out 1.jpg
Top Mount Pull Out 1.jpg (4.77 MiB) Viewed 283 times
Top Mount Pull Out 4.jpg
Top Mount Pull Out 4.jpg (121.65 KiB) Viewed 283 times

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Tailgate/hatch lift support

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:06 am

My approach to this would to be to clean everything up as careful as I could. Then inspect for what part failed - the threads on the "strut mount knob" or the threads in the hatch. If it is the knob go to a wrecker and buy a new one - if it is the hatch that is going to be a tougher fix. Not sure if one has access to replace it. Not sure if one can try a heliocoil as the knob has a pretty rough pitch.

Once cleaned - if you do not want to buy any parts - try some steel epoxy putty and hope for the best.