IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Using DiCE/VIDA with Volvo subscription in countries without Volvo representation

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
simcoleoni
Year and Model: 2006 xc90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Nigeria
simcoleoni

Using DiCE/VIDA with Volvo subscription in countries without Volvo representation

Post by simcoleoni » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 am

Hello all,

This is my first question, though this forum has been my favourite Volvo resource for a long time. Great job guys.

I have a MY06 XC90 with 247k miles and i would like to add an extra key fob as i currently have only one. i do not want to wait for the failure or loss of the only unit. The challenge is that Volvo support is not officially available in Nigeria, hence no dealership to approach even if i wanted to.
I understand, mostly from this forum, how to add an additional key.
I would like to clarify the following:

1. if i buy the chinese versions of DiCE with the pre-activated VIDA, would i be able to subscribe to Volvo to carry out software programming? i have read that i should avoid updating it if using a pre-activated version
2. Will a subscription to Volvo require a fresh VIDA download?
3. Can the new online version of VIDA be used with the chinese version of DiCE
4. Will i be able to assist other Volvo users with software related issues(module updates) while my subscription is active?
5. Can i pay someone, say in the US to subscribe on my behalf(for a fee if necessary)?
6. Will the software download be accessible from Nigeria(with a Nigerian IP address)? Don't want to make a payment only to realise i cant use it from here.

his forum is on the level of stackoverflow, xdadevelopers and the likes. I cant emphasize enough how i am now the go-to guy for a lot of Volvo users here, just by going through solutions available here.

Thanks in advance.
***You are only as strong as the people you help on your way up***

2006 XC90 2.5T FWD; 247k miles and still going strong.

simcoleoni
Nigeria
simcoleoni

Re: Using DiCE/VIDA with Volvo subscription in countries without Volvo representation

Post by simcoleoni » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:41 am

I have seen a couple of posts mentioning programming was done remotely, not sure how this works but willing to explore anything right now.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Using DiCE/VIDA with Volvo subscription in countries without Volvo representation

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:43 am

Hello in Nigeria - I will try to answer your questions but I doubt it will be helpful.

1. if i buy the chinese versions of DiCE with the pre-activated VIDA, would i be able to subscribe to Volvo to carry out software programming? i have read that i should avoid updating it if using a pre-activated version

Answer: In the USA I have read numerous people doing software downloads with DICE clones. So it is possible. Do some more research or someone may provide you an answer on "pre-activated" version or not. In the end VOLVO requires everything, other than the DICE clone, to be in order and under their terms and conditions is my understanding.

2. Will a subscription to Volvo require a fresh VIDA download?

Answer: From what I have read people are sent a new VIDA disc in the USA.

3. Can the new online version of VIDA be used with the chinese version of DiCE

Answer: I am unclear here - but from what I gather Volvo sends you a new disc and once everything is in order the Chinese clone DICE is not an issue.

4. Will i be able to assist other Volvo users with software related issues(module updates) while my subscription is active?

Answer: This is where it gets sticky. What one can and cannot do with the subscription is dependent on what the terms of the agreement state. What they permit to a USA end user may differ from what they permit a user in Nigeria. You will have to ask Volvo directly or in the alternative ask them to provide you the necessary information to read.

5. Can i pay someone, say in the US to subscribe on my behalf(for a fee if necessary)?

Answer: Again, this depends on what the terms and conditions VOLVO places on the subscription. Never having read it I cannot answer your question but you have two issues 1) Is it a permitted action by Volvo, and 2) If it is permitted would some one agree to do it for you.

6. Will the software download be accessible from Nigeria(with a Nigerian IP address)? Don't want to make a payment only to realise i cant use it from here.

Answer: You most likely will have to contact Volvo directly and ask them this question as I doubt anyone here can provide an answer unless they work for Volvo. On the one hand Volvo can restrict IP address access, on the other hand if you have paid for everything and set everything up legally they technically could open access up for a specific IP address. Bottom line is you have to work directly with Volvo.

Keep us posted on your findings as it would benefit others outside the USA.

simcoleoni
Nigeria
simcoleoni

Post by simcoleoni » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:03 am

Thanks SuperHerman.

I have actually been in contact with Volvo regarding this.
Their response was that they cannot provide any sort of support because they are not officially represented in Nigeria. Their reasons are that they have to sort out legal requirements in any country before officially supporting any Volvo owner in that country. this is an expected answer, i contacted them officially anyway.

From Volvo's workshop guide, specifically the VIDA software ordering, found here http://workshopsupportguide.volvocars.b ... nload.aspx the US is the only exception to the requirement to contact an official dealer. Dealers are not available in Nigeria. An independent operator is supposed to ask the dealer to purchase the software on their behalf, they can then access the software once purchased via their own VIDA installation. Even then, some software may not be accessible(i suspect software to add keys fall within this). Based on that, i began to think that getting someone in the US to buy the software while i perform the download/update would be the only way out.

The only foreseeable challenge led me to asking:
1. Can the dealer in the US buy a key addition software for me? while i use it as an independent operator.
2. Will Volvo restrict independent operator's access to IPs in the US? That's if a US dealer were to buy the software on my behalf. this can be circumvented anyway.

The problem: asking Volvo outright about taking this route may come back with a no no. Or they may even go ahead to block such methods if it's currently possible. Hence asking the forum's community to ascertain it was a better alternative. I specifically asked Volvo to assign or permit a dealer within Africa(some southern African countries do have dealerships) to assist in performing the software process, the response was still dodgy.

I'm currently leaning towards the VPN solution, not sure if it still requires me subscribing. i think i will need the DiCE, software costs and instructions from whoever is assisting.

Can someone move me forward from here please?

Thanks again

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:45 am

Connecting through a VPN/US IP address only solves part of your problem. You're probably going to have a tough time finding someone with a US billing address to purchase a subscription for you, as that would be effectively disclosing their personal or business credentials with someone whom they don't personally know on the other side of the globe. And if Volvo somehow catches on, they could get blocked/banned from ever taking out a subscription again.

Now in legal terms-- Volvo may not officially support vehicles in Nigeria. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will block you from purchasing a subscription. Likely buried in the TOC which you have to agree before using the software, which might apply under certain circumstances such as within countries where Volvo has no official presence, might a 'at your own risk' clause absolving Volvo of liability/providing technical support. Furthermore, it may be necessary to purchase a subscription tied to the country and language where the car was originally sold--which in this case is probably not the US. Since vehicles in some geographic areas do often cross borders, a dealer in one of the African countries where Volvo does have a presence may be the better place to field your questions. They've probably heard it before and may be familiar with what Volvo might or might not absolutely allow.

Also note, as far as the rest of the world is concerned the current Nigerian government is considered unstable and/or 'unofficial' from what I understand. In matters such as this you may actually revert to international law which probably complicates things considerably on both ends for both you and Volvo.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 pm

It appears the legal restrictions of what you propose are problematic. I have not read the official Volvo terms and conditions, but if they are similar to most I have read, I don't think what you suggest would be in conformance.

Another option is to see if you have a car lock service company in Nigeria that could handle the matter. Doing a quick search for "Volvo key cloning" shows numerous companies in the USA provide this service - maybe you have the same available in Nigeria.

I am not familiar with Volvo keys and how they interact, but on many cars the transponder chip is the main issue. Once that is set to the corresponding computer, it is just a matter of syncing the key. Maybe someone can chime in that has more knowledge of how your car's key system operates. In the alternative call Volvo and ask - maybe they can provide guidance.

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Within the keyhead is an ID48 transponder device. Quite cheap to purchase if you buy 5 or more. These contain the key codes which match the CEM and ECM . These start the engine when matched.

The remote has a transmitter which talks to the UEM (rear view mirror) and unlocks doors with the unlock/lock command.

You need to purchase your own ID48s (check on eBay). and contact Yagger as he can duplicate the CEM/ECM codes to a virgin un programmed ID48.

I'm not certain if Yagger can program a new or used remote without his special OBDII device being present on the car. You will need to check with him.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm pretty sure cloning ID48s (this is sort of new) can't be accomplished without interacting with both the original working key and the vehicle...and a login to a service that uses a supercomputer to break the encryption string. Which probably puts this guy back at square one.

simcoleoni
Nigeria
simcoleoni

Post by simcoleoni » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:32 am

Thanks for the feedback, mrbrian200.
mrbrian200 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:45 am
Connecting through a VPN/US IP address only solves part of your problem. You're probably going to have a tough time finding someone with a US billing address to purchase a subscription for you, as that would be effectively disclosing their personal or business credentials with someone whom they don't personally know on the other side of the globe.
I initially planned on asking an old school mate who now resides in the US to do the purchase, till i learnt i needed a dealer. Besides, i do not think purchasing a software on my behalf will require sharing the dealer's confidential details with me. i would expect the opposite. @Botbasher, you could help clarify this.
mrbrian200 wrote:
Furthermore, it may be necessary to purchase a subscription tied to the country and language where the car was originally sold--which in this case is probably not the US. Since vehicles in some geographic areas do often cross borders, a dealer in one of the African countries where Volvo does have a presence may be the better place to field your questions.
Vehicle was shipped from the US, most Volvos in Nigeria are. My first attempt to contact Volvo was made to Volvo USA, then redirected to Volvo South Africa and Kenya. it is from the latter two that i got a 'not possible' response, despite their claim to have contacted Sweden to ask about it(i believe they did).
mrbrian200 wrote:
Also note, as far as the rest of the world is concerned the current Nigerian government is considered unstable and/or 'unofficial' from what I understand. In matters such as this you may actually revert to international law which probably complicates things considerably on both ends for both you and Volvo.
Please ignore what you hear of Nigeria, the media only propagate negative news. MBenz, BMW, Porsche, Chevrolet, Ford, Audi, Toyota, Honda, VW, Hyundai and many others are officially present in Nigeria. Volvo in my opinion complicates simple things.

Perhaps, there is someone within the forum that can get Volvo's attention. All i need is for Volvo to allow a dealer on my behalf, purchase software i need. Maybe Yagger or Doodlebug will know what options i have.

Thanks again for the response

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:24 am

mrbrian200 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:01 pm
I'm pretty sure cloning ID48s (this is sort of new) can't be accomplished without interacting with both the original working key and the vehicle...and a login to a service that uses a supercomputer to break the encryption string. Which probably puts this guy back at square one.
Basing your responses on actual experience might be more productive.

ID48s can EASILY be duplicated by experienced guys. Doublebug did the same thing for me on a customer's 2005 XC70 late 2015. The car had lost transponder codes through manipulation of the CEM by a third party repairer. They may have blanked and reloaded the CEM with some corruption. Old keys produced "starting preventing" on DIM. New transponder codes were created by Doublebug for both the CEM and ECM. New ID48s were purchased by me and taped to the old key blade. Old ID48s had to be removed and placed as far away from the antenna ring as possible to avoid interference. We made 2 x new ID48s for the customer's old keys and to this day the car still starts using the new ID48s and old remotes.

It's quite a long story with this case but Volvo dealer had attempted CEM reload multiple times and gave up, the final diagnosis was that the car required a new CEM at a cost of thousands. Because a configuration change in the CEM had been detected by Volvo's servers the car had been blocked. Dealer was not informed by Vida at point of download other than a "failure" to download. Even if a new CEM had been sourced the download would still have been blocked and car would have been scrapped no doubt.

Just goes to show it's who you know and especially in my case not "what you know". All I had to do was provide a connection to my laptop and have a Dice connected to the car. Doublebug did the rest.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.