IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Using DiCE/VIDA with Volvo subscription in countries without Volvo representation

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
simcoleoni
Year and Model: 2006 xc90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Nigeria
simcoleoni

Re: Using DiCE/VIDA with Volvo subscription in countries without Volvo representation

Post by simcoleoni » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:36 am

precopster wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:24 am
mrbrian200 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:01 pm
I'm pretty sure cloning ID48s (this is sort of new) can't be accomplished without interacting with both the original working key and the vehicle...and a login to a service that uses a supercomputer to break the encryption string. Which probably puts this guy back at square one.
Basing your responses on actual experience might be more productive.

ID48s can EASILY be duplicated by experienced guys. Doublebug did the same thing for me on a customer's 2005 XC70 late 2015. The car had lost transponder codes through manipulation of the CEM by a third party repairer. They may have blanked and reloaded the CEM with some corruption. Old keys produced "starting preventing" on DIM. New transponder codes were created by Doublebug for both the CEM and ECM. New ID48s were purchased by me and taped to the old key blade. Old ID48s had to be removed and placed as far away from the antenna ring as possible to avoid interference. We made 2 x new ID48s for the customer's old keys and to this day the car still starts using the new ID48s and old remotes.

It's quite a long story with this case but Volvo dealer had attempted CEM reload multiple times and gave up, the final diagnosis was that the car required a new CEM at a cost of thousands. Because a configuration change in the CEM had been detected by Volvo's servers the car had been blocked. Dealer was not informed by Vida at point of download other than a "failure" to download. Even if a new CEM had been sourced the download would still have been blocked and car would have been scrapped no doubt.

Just goes to show it's who you know and especially in my case not "what you know". All I had to do was provide a connection to my laptop and have a Dice connected to the car. Doublebug did the rest.
Thanks for this, my hopes are up again.

Just to be clear, is it "Doublebug" or "Doodlebug"? i sent a PM to doodlebug and i am yet to get a response. he has been recommended to me prior to now because of the lesser time zone difference. i have also sent a PM to yagger some minutes ago.

Could you please bring Doublebug's attention to this thread.

Thanks
***You are only as strong as the people you help on your way up***

2006 XC90 2.5T FWD; 247k miles and still going strong.

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Re: Using DiCE/VIDA with Volvo subscription in countries without Volvo representation

Post by precopster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:25 am

Name is correct and accurate. Best to PM the right guy.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:36 am

I was basing that on a youtube video showing a tool to cloning a megamos ID48 on an Audi. The tool had to be plugged into a computer, logged into a web service. The original working key has to be scanned. Then a special key blank that records data transmitted by the ignition/antenna ring is inserted into the ignition several times, then placed back in the tool to be read. Then the system breaks the encryption. This is where the internet connection to a high performance computing/supercomputer comes in. You don't break rolling code 128bit encryption on a home laptop or tablet in 30 minutes. It would take days, weeks, or maybe even months depending on the hardware. Newer transponder systems which have upped the ante to 256bit might take years or decades. To do it in a half hour or less, the relatively short strings of encrypted data which has been collected from the original key and the vehicle would have to be sent over the internet and processed on a HPC/supercomputing platform. There isn't going to be a way to get around this. You need raw computing power to do this - and lots of it.

precopster
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:27 pm

mbrian200 when you pull your head out of that sandbucket let us all know. In the mean while we will continue to get new ID48s programmed NOT cloned. Getting an extra key made is as simple as reading the existing transponder codes from CEM and/or ECM and writing them to a new virgin ID48.

Henry (doublebug) can be contacted by Viber or Skype as well.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Sandbox. To me that means a virtual computer environment. Hmmm.

You know, if this guy could get hold of a Dice unit, and likely he can, Vida running on a computer here should be able to connect to a vehicle through a DICE plugged into a virtualized USB port on his laptop or android phone over there.
And this wouldn't expose the subscription owner's credentials- on the other end the vehicle owner would only see the dice unit itself. You would communicate through a chat session to tell them "put the key in now and turn it to KPII".

This is just one example of port virtualization software.
https://www.virtualhere.com/home
The server with the dice plugged in can be anything from a windows laptop to an android smart phone. Dice doesn't need to support or even have device drivers for OS of the server device that it's physically connected to, just the client (machine over the internet running VIDA).
If other methods aren't viable for whatever reason, this might be a technically feasible way to do it. He would need a key pre cut to his VIN. If it's Vida/Dice you need to read the key string from the CEM/ECU to clone an existing key, this would work for that, too.

precopster
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:05 pm

mbrian200 now you're getting the hang of things. I meant sandbucket; a place where no sound or other disturbances affect the wearer of the bucket. What becomes annoying is when people try to theorize on how things take place with little to no practical experience on the topic at hand. Asking questions usually provides the fruit. Doubting fellow posters is counter-productive to the purpose of the forum unless you have personally disproved their assertions.

There is no subscription used for programming; no risk of licensing problems with Vida. I have a copy of Vida on my laptop however Dice must be used ONLY with one software "grabbing" it at one time. If Vida has a hold of Dice then the connection software can't access the Dice and vice versa.

The connection software used is of Doublebug's own design. He has re-written his software about 3 times. It's pretty stable right now. I use a 4G connection tethered to my mobile which provides wireless connection to the laptop. We use Skype or Viber to allow quick comms such as "turn key to PosII", "start engine now" or "short pins now" etc

The Dice is used and connected to as a connection device only. There is no software other than Doublebug's connection software and Dice USB drivers. I am not privy to exactly how this takes place but I have programmed/cloned CEMs/ECMs and countless ETMs with his help. With early CEMs (pre-2005) we short pins 8 & 9 on the main IC under the heatsink (some cutting at the corners of the heatsink is required to allow access) which then allows a boot mode to occur allowing Henry access to all the script and key codes.