IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Single clicking noise in axle area

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
inca99
Year and Model:
Single clicking noise in axle area

Post by inca99 »

Hello, I recently purchased a 2008 XC90 V8 with 95K miles. Great car, very nice condition, but I am concerned about a clicking noise that I hear in or around the transaxle underneath. The sound is similar to if you tapped 2 pieces of metal together one time. Seems to only present with the application and release of torque. Throttle on, I hear 1 click, coast, another click. Also when I'm coasting to a rolling stop and the gears shift up to say...1st from 5th, I can hear 1 click. It does not effect the way it drives, but I've never had a car that does this, so I don't think it's normal. (My indie said it was normal, but I don't think so.) Any thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated! [It is also present when shifting from back and forth from D to N to R while stationary.]