IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Drivers side cv half shaft / drive shaft problem

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Johnkgilson
Year and Model: 2005 XC90 t6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Johnkgilson

Drivers side cv half shaft / drive shaft problem

Post by Johnkgilson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 am

2005 XC90 T6
I have replaced the drivers side CV half shaft but I am running into a problem with the long solid shaft which inserts into the female spline of the half shaft. The solid shaft came out partially before separating and I thought all was good when reassembling. I found out the hard way while driving that the long shaft was not locked in which caused oil leakage when the unit slipped in and out past the seal seat. I have it apart now and cannot get it to lock in. I tried to take the shaft completely all the way out to see if perhaps a cir clip was missing or broken but once I ran into resistance getting it out, thought I'd seek out some advice before going forward.
Thanks ahead for your help!

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Drivers side cv half shaft / drive shaft problem

Post by oragex » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Not sure if I understand well your description, perhaps could you upload some pics? Is the part that goes into the transmission that won't lock inside deep enough? Is the replacement axle an original Volvo part? It's quite common aftermarket ones have the wrong size of the locking circlip that goes inside the transmission. It's a good idea to remove the locking clip from the old original axle, and put it on the replacement axle.

Johnkgilson
United States of America
Johnkgilson

Post by Johnkgilson » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 am

Thanks for your reply,
I've attached pics for your review . . I managed to speak with a Volvo mechanic this morning at a local dealership and he suspects the driveshaft may have a broken cir clip. To check this, I need to get access to the end of the shaft. When I asked if the shaft comes out, (it gets tight at the point in the picture and I don't want to force it) he said he was not sure if it comes out this way or not as he has not worked on the transmissions for this one. I guess at this point, I need to figure out if the shaft, with some force perhaps, will come all the way out so I can check the status of the cir clip.
Attachments
3.jpg
cv half shaft female spline
2.jpg
Drive shaft partially out
1.jpg
Drive shaft from transmission

crlande
Year and Model: 240DL;850;S70
United States of America
crlande

Post by crlande » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Having never worked one of those, I think the male spline is missing a circlip or is it deformed and would go into that groove at the tip.

Johnkgilson
United States of America
Johnkgilson

Post by Johnkgilson » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:19 am

The circlip is present at the end of this shaft. That works fine as the cv half shaft locks in no problem. The issue is the shaft won't clip in as it should. So perhaps circlip came off at opposite end as I was told by the Volvo mechanic. Just at a loss on how to get shaft all the way out to check. Thanks.

Johnkgilson
United States of America
Johnkgilson

The circlip is present at the end of this shaft. That works fine as the cv half shaft locks in no problem. The issue is the shaft won't clip in as it should. So perhaps circlip came off at opposite end as I was told by the Volvo mechanic. Just at a loss on how to get shaft all the way out to check. Thanks.

Johnkgilson
United States of America
Johnkgilson

Johnkgilson
United States of America
Johnkgilson

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:20 pm

That should not be happening. You have an issue on the other end with the circlip. Look here - look at photos in post #40.

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/ ... ?p=1465224

Usually the diff end is the difficult one to dislodge.