IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

DIY: 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T 110K miles: Timing Belt, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
chitownV
Year and Model: 2008 XC90 3.2

Re: DIY: 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T 110K miles: Timing Belt, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt

Post by chitownV »

I would also question the recommendation NOT to do the camshaft seals until 190k miles. From experience, these can go as early as 100k miles and cause an oil leak. If these get changed, you should change other seals and o-rings at the same time. To wait until the VVT hubs go, well, that can be a discussion if NOT changing the VVT seal, plug seal, and camshaft seals, may shorten the VVT life. VVT hubs are costly. Another thing is, doing the timing belt is meaningless if the belt gets oil on it from leaking camshaft seals. I wouldn't say they are needed when doing the 100k mile timing belt change, but I would not wait until 190k miles.

Here is some discussion on which parts are needed when doing camshaft seals: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forum ... haft+seals
2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 150k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot