IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2007XC90 Battery is draining 3amp (Bad ALT Diode) Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ilkerk
Year and Model: 2007 xc90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ilkerk

Re: Battery is draining 3amp

Post by ilkerk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 am

precopster wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:23 pm
Follow the red cables to where you will find 2 connector blocks close to the REM under the removable foam corner pad. Check the connector blocks on the red cables for corrosion.
Very good guess precopster, you are right! I checked and saw that actually the red plastic covering cables lost its elasticity due to cold and were broken. The cables inside were exposed and most probably were touching each other. Both of the connectors cables were in that situation (the shortcut was on the side of the connections which is closer to the REM). I separated them from each other to stop the shortcut.
The amp readings changed a little but still very high (above 3amp).

Do you think the REM might be damaged because of that shortcut?

ilkerk
Year and Model: 2007 xc90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ilkerk

Re: Battery is draining 3amp

Post by ilkerk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 am

Writing the rest of my repair story in case it helps someone. I had initially towed my car to a local mechanic. The car stayed there more than 2 weeks, during this time I had several phone calls about the repair status. The mechanic only mumbled about the error codes but they couldn't detect the issue and keep wasting my time.
I then decided to have it towed to a Volvo service out of town. After 2 days, I was told the issue was with a diode in the alternator, they replaced the alternator and now its working fine. (its repaired some time ago but I just returned home and find time to write about it).

Thanks again to all who shared their suggestions on this topic...